Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Ruth wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 5:39 pm
What the fuck has this thread turned into.
filmbrofans.com

-Vader

Forum Pro
Law
Retskrad wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 8:16 am
I am honestly baffled that Warner Bros have Nolan a $200 million budget after reading the script. Domestic violence that will turn some weirdos on, 75% of the movie being Nolan’s worst exposition to date, a woman character and a villain written straight out of the 1960’s ... that’s Tenet for you.

It’s such a shame but I think Denis Villeneuve has overtaken Nolan as the best blockbuster director in Hollywood. Incendies, Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and now Dune. Denis knows that you live and die by your characters unlike Nolan.
You've seen Dune?

Vader182 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 6:41 pm
Ruth wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 5:39 pm
What the fuck has this thread turned into.
filmbrofans.com

-Vader
time for the rest of us intellectuals to pack our bags and get out

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 6:24 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:00 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:54 pm
I love Denis, one of my favourite directors, but it really gets on my nerves when his fanboys shit on Chris so much, they are different directors, also Denis takes written scripts, Chris writes his own, Villeneuve is all about atmosphere and themes, Chris is all about narrative and larger than life visuals, perhaps Denis deals in denser tones and themes,but i feel he hasnt yet shown so much virtuosity of pure craft as Chris, or as complex and sophisticated concatenation of images.
I am one of the biggest Nolan fans out there...but it's unfair to make a direct comparison of Nolan with Villeneuve. I have yet to see Nolan make a full arthouse movie like Enemy (which I absolutely adore), although Memento comes close to that.
Ummm that’s probably not true. Perhaps Dunkirk is more arthouse than a studio film. Memento, Following, The Prestige are very artsy. To be honest, all of his projects have arthouse elements but he has to let more people in instead of a select few so that’s why Nolan adds familiar characteristics in his movies. If he wanted to, he could go full on that as he has shown to be able to. Apparently some people think Tenet is also very experimental. Some people have become more interested in pure arthouse films because of what they have seen in his work. I feel Nolan is helping in a way more experimental projects to be noticed.

I don’t agree with the notion other person said that Nolan is like just a genre filmmaker. Also, "arthouse" isn’t synonymous of great movies all the time so just because they don’t always make those types of works, doesn’t make them less important directors.

Now, let’s go back to what the thread is, which is about reviews for Tenet instead of discussing this.
one last off-topic comment: yea, I forget about Dunkirk (my least favourite Nolan movie) which is the closest to an arthouse movie that he has ever made.

back to topic: yea, i totally agree that Tenet is off the mainstream movie and is kidda like Inception on steroids. But I wouldn't classify it as 'arthouse'. It's my top 4 Nolan movie for sure, just because of the treatment of 'time', cinematography and complexity. Sound mixing, and really 'lean' editing prevented Tenet from reaching its true potential.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 8:32 pm
Sound mixing, and really 'lean' editing prevented Tenet from reaching its true potential.
I have yet to really bitch and moan about sound in the theater until I watch it in 15/70mm IMAX, but given the amount of response that's there with it, you're absolutely right. If audience members are complaining because they can't hear the dialogue, I really think it's giving it that poor word of mouth. Then other audiences go in there to confirm that same notion, etc.

The movie just went too fast for me the first time around. I mentioned this somewhere, but I was completely up to speak until the scene with Michael Caine, because I thought he said "Saito" and I sat there questioning everything about whether this was in the same universe as Inception, and Michael Crosby plays an undercover Grandpa Miles at times haha. Then I fell behind and couldn't keep up. Yes, sometimes I missed dialogue... but the only two inaudible scenes really for me were the boat scene and the red/blue rooms scene (which was kind of intentionally obscured).

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 9:14 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 8:32 pm
Sound mixing, and really 'lean' editing prevented Tenet from reaching its true potential.
I have yet to really bitch and moan about sound in the theater until I watch it in 15/70mm IMAX, but given the amount of response that's there with it, you're absolutely right. If audience members are complaining because they can't hear the dialogue, I really think it's giving it that poor word of mouth. Then other audiences go in there to confirm that same notion, etc.

The movie just went too fast for me the first time around. I mentioned this somewhere, but I was completely up to speak until the scene with Michael Caine, because I thought he said "Saito" and I sat there questioning everything about whether this was in the same universe as Inception, and Michael Crosby plays an undercover Grandpa Miles at times haha. Then I fell behind and couldn't keep up. Yes, sometimes I missed dialogue... but the only two inaudible scenes really for me were the boat scene and the red/blue rooms scene (which was kind of intentionally obscured).
LOL. Yea, everyone pronounced Sator like Saito. The boat scene is certainly on purpose, so I didn't mind that I didnt catch much. But the final phone call? There was some really important plot points, like why the algorithm is even to be used in the first place - and I couldn't hear like 70% of what Sator said.

At the end of the day TENET is more an extravagant magic trick than a movie. There are no characters. The end falls flat. Too clever for its own good. I hope DUNE is better. Denis Villeneuve is more interesting than Nolan; he is less flashy but he delivers.

I hugely respect Nolan but Villeneuve has control of vital aspects like camera movement, pacing, atmosphere and I think he does them far better than Nolan would. He shoots movies like he’s making a painting.
Last edited by Retskrad on September 16th, 2020, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retskrad wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 6:11 am
At the end of the day TENET is more an extravagant magic trick than a movie. There are no characters. The end falls flat. Too clever for its own good. I hope DUNE is better. Denis Villeneuve is more interesting than Nolan; he is less flashy but he delivers.

I hugely respect Nolan but Villeneuve has control of vital aspects like camera movement, pacing, atmosphere and I think he does them far better than Nolan would. He shoots movies like he’s making a painting.
Great paintings, too bad they aren't his subjects. Also Blade Runner 2049 has some of the most ridiculas continuity errors I have ever seen...master of his craft indeed. I like Denis, but if your gonna make shit essentialist claims about Nolan. Also, Denis cinematographers consume his vision, when I see Sicario and Blade Runner 2049 all I can see is Deakins; Sicario isn't Denis' vision, it's Deakins' and Taylor Sheridan's. Same thing with Arrival, Ted Chang is the artist of that movie, Denis just put some pictures over top of it; and Blade Runner 2049 is a good looking movie, but it has the same shit plot as Crystal Skull, and The force Awakens, who gives a shit about Harrison Ford's fictional kids.

Also Dune is unoriginal, how many versions of this thing I'm I gonna read and watch? He is the 50th person taking a crack at this thing in some form or another. There is nothing artistic about taking a very popular novel, that has been already adapted and re-adapted...

I hope you noticed this is Nolanfans, not DVfans....

A Borges man wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Some of you need to go back to topic because, as you probably know, this thread isn’t about discussing who is better or find out the weaknesses and strengths of the two of them. I don’t want to judge but the person you were responding to only has two posts and seems to want to make sure everybody knows Nolan is like so far behind Villeneuve in terms of quality. I’m not sure but it would seem to me the user doesn’t know what this forum is about, has too much love for Villeneuve which is fine although this is not the forum much less the thread to let it be known or is just trolling.

Not to mention that Nolan and Villeneuve respect and like each other’s work. This is unnecessary.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 3:03 pm
A Borges man wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Some of you need to go back to topic because, as you probably know, this thread isn’t about discussing who is better or find out the weaknesses and strengths of the two of them. I don’t want to judge but the person you were responding to only has two posts and seems to want to make sure everybody knows Nolan is like so far behind Villeneuve in terms of quality. I’m not sure but it would seem to me the user doesn’t know what this forum is about, has too much love for Villeneuve which is fine although this is not the forum much less the thread to let it be known or is just trolling.

Not to mention that Nolan and Villeneuve respect and like each other’s work. This is unnecessary.
You're right. I'm being a unpleasant fanboy.