Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I love Denis, one of my favourite directors, but it really gets on my nerves when his fanboys shit on Chris so much, they are different directors, also Denis takes written scripts, Chris writes his own, Villeneuve is all about atmosphere and themes, Chris is all about narrative and larger than life visuals, perhaps Denis deals in denser tones and themes,but i feel he hasnt yet shown so much virtuosity of pure craft as Chris, or as complex and sophisticated concatenation of images.

KEM
Love both directors but come on now... Chris made The Dark Knight

Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:54 pm
I love Denis, one of my favourite directors, but it really gets on my nerves when his fanboys shit on Chris so much, they are different directors, also Denis takes written scripts, Chris writes his own, Villeneuve is all about atmosphere and themes, Chris is all about narrative and larger than life visuals, perhaps Denis deals in denser tones and themes,but i feel he hasnt yet shown so much virtuosity of pure craft as Chris, or as complex and sophisticated concatenation of images.
I am one of the biggest Nolan fans out there...but it's unfair to make a direct comparison of Nolan with Villeneuve. I have yet to see Nolan make a full arthouse movie like Enemy (which I absolutely adore), although Memento comes close to that.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
Agreed. But, I would counter: Nolan is very much about theme...almost above everything else. Also, I feel like Nolan is a pure genre filmmaker; whereas Denis is sort of the scifi thriller equivalant of "elevated horror". He makes people who enjoy genre stuff feel like there are seeing an elevated form of it...which I find kind of silly. I like both filmmakers but, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and Dune are co-owed by their originators. Arrival is a great movie, Ted Chang's story is so much better than the movie. I prefer Scott's Blade Runner...and I might be the only person on this planet who is so tired Fucking Dune. I've read all six books: shout out to "God Emperor of Dune", best in the series; seen the David Lynch, seen Scifi miniseries, seen a fucking documentary about a non-existent movie (overrated nonsense). I can't be excited for the movie, I'm Duned out.

Without Inception and Interstellar, you wouldn't have stuff like Arrival or Blade Runner 2049. Denis even said that he wants to Chris Nolan. So Denis is clearly a fan.

In saying all this Denis is obviously a great filmmaker, one of the best working today. Nolan though is a person who can shift pop culture, he can change the way the industry is run, exhibited....or used to be...

dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:00 pm
I am one of the biggest Nolan fans out there...but it's unfair to make a direct comparison of Nolan with Villeneuve. I have yet to see Nolan make a full arthouse movie like Enemy (which I absolutely adore), although Memento comes close to that.
Following

Nicolaslabra wrote:
I think Nolan is a master of structure. His movies are almost all these fascinating, intricate narrative webs that span time and space, and in practice he's able to construct thrilling sequences that effortlessly cross-cut between multiple perspectives. However, I think Nolan still hasn't mastered how to communicate visually. Whether it's his narratives, conceptual conceits, characters, or themes, he still leans on dialog to successfully communicate information.

This isn't to say Nolan's movies aren't still visually compelling: he uses IMAX cameras, shoots on real locations, and employs cinematographers who gorgeously light and frame scenes. But the purpose is often very literal: to show us something in the grandest possible way. But what I find satisfying about Villeneuve's movies is that they're so deeply constructed around a visual experience as a form of meaning. Images that we're meant to consider. Images that emote. Images that wordlessly tell us something about a character, or push the story forward. It's not that Nolan doesn't do this at all, it's that he so rarely does this so well. And that's what makes Villeneuve's shift to blockbuster filmmaking so exciting for me—and it seems for some others. With Blade Runner 2049 he was able to tell a big sci-fi story visually, while also creating a movie that is visually exciting on a more grand, literal level.

bootsy wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:52 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
Following
Following strikes me more as a pretty classic film noir and psychological thriller. It's not as subtle as Enemy for sure.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 5:29 pm
bootsy wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:52 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
Following
Following strikes me more as a pretty classic film noir and psychological thriller. It's not as subtle as Enemy for sure.
Maybe but it's still in range which is all I'm saying.

What the fuck has this thread turned into.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
Nicolaslabra wrote:
Ummm that’s probably not true. Perhaps Dunkirk is more arthouse than a studio film. Memento, Following, The Prestige are very artsy. To be honest, all of his projects have arthouse elements but he has to let more people in instead of a select few so that’s why Nolan adds familiar characteristics in his movies. If he wanted to, he could go full on that as he has shown to be able to. Apparently some people think Tenet is also very experimental. Some people have become more interested in pure arthouse films because of what they have seen in his work. I feel Nolan is helping in a way more experimental projects to be noticed.

I don’t agree with the notion other person said that Nolan is like just a genre filmmaker. Also, "arthouse" isn’t synonymous of great movies all the time so just because they don’t always make those types of works, doesn’t make them less important directors.

Now, let’s go back to what the thread is, which is about reviews for Tenet instead of discussing this.