Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Dobson wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 8:38 am
Tenet is not a masterpiece, not even a flawed one like TDKR. It's still a good movie though. For one, I think the story at it's core is rather simple. It's a very basic spy story. Nolan didn't took the best elements of spy movies or subverted spy tropes, he rather took the most generic elements and put them into a movie. As a consequence, the spy stuff comes across as derivative, because you literally have seen this exact same thing a hundred times:
Some bad guy wants to end the world with the help of a doomsday device. And since we never see what the algorithm can do on a smaller scale for example, the thread remains purely theoretical.
It doesn't help the protagonist lacks a personal motivation and remains fairly uncharacterized. There is an emotional story line that elevates the other stuff, but it's not at the core of the story.

What saves the story from mediocrity are the inversion mechanics. It's a novel and innovative idea and the most interesting thing about the movie by far. Everytime something related to inversion happens, the movie becomes much more interesting. There are a lot of memorable visuals tied to inversion.
The fight against the inverted soldier is great, as well is the chase when the inverted cars show up. This gets even better when the characters become inverted themselves and we see the events a second time, but backwards. I just wish the ending battle happened in the opera as well, but inverted, which would have been a perfect fit for the palindromic nature of the title and film itself, instead of the elaborate round of paint ball that we got. The ending ties everything neatly together, but there's no twist that let's everything that happened before appear in a new light.
What's also great about Tenet is the production as a whole. The direction is great, the cinematography excellent, Göransson is on fire, and the actors bring their best to the table. The practical effects are wonderful and the CGI is seamless. The action sequences are thrilling, even without inversion. The only thing I'm not perfectly happy with is the editing, the movie rushes by way too fast, with little time to build atmosphere or to absorb the setting. It feels like a lot has been cut. As a consequence the film struggles to build this globe throtting adventure feeling that it tries to achieve.

Tenet didn't leave me positively overwhelmed at the end like many of his other films. I feel Nolan prioritized spectacle over substance this time. Tenet gets saved by inversion and the quality of the production as a whole. The film is near the bottom of Nolan's filmography for me. However, Tenet still being a good film just shows what an amazing run Nolan had. 8/10
Best review by far.

poplar wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:47 pm
After second viewing.
How this movie is constructed is out this world. This will age as wine.
I agree.

The second viewing really cements it as a masterpiece, as everything clicks.

DHOPW42 wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 4:53 am
Drewton wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 12:40 am
I’m happy if people are able to like the movie but I don’t know how anyone can really think it’s better than Inception, let alone most of his films.
I wouldn't weigh in on the matter whether it's better than Inception or not, but this is something I was explaining in other topics: at this point in 2020, I think I can enjoy Tenet more than Inception. After 10 or so viewings, the latter feels a bit heavy and really, really long. I don't think it got worst as time went on, but I like how Tenet is simpler in many ways. It's like Beethoven writing his short and fresh 8th Symphony after the monumental 7th. Now, Tenet, of course, is just as long as Inception, but I do think that Tenet's story is simpler and less complicated.
This is exactly how I feel. Tenet feels more simple & dirty. More natural & enjoyable. Since several years many Nolan Fans wanted him to return to small budget films. But he proved us with Tenet, that it's not about the budget.

Oku
Tenet is better than Inception for me.

I can never ever force myself to rewatch Inception because literally every line of dialogue is exposition vomit.

Even the thought of rewatching Inception gives me a sense of dread; that's how overbearingly and unbearably non-stop the exposition is.

Tenet has exposition too but it's less blatantly dumbed-down and not to the extent of Inception.

So a little bit of a laugh, and perhaps this is a consequence of me not knowing anything about the film before I saw it.
I was keeping up with the movie in the beginning just fine, but then got hit by a wall when I thought Michael Caine's character said the name "Saito." Suddenly, I stuck myself onto that and started questioning whether this was in Inception's universe, and was wondering if Miles was MC's undercover character or something. Then I fell behind in the story because I wasn't paying attention, thinking that eventually Ken Watanabe would show up in the movie, haha.

Then in the last half of the film when I realized we were going to work backwards for a while, I thought we were destined to eventually go back to the opera house again, so I kept asking myself when that would show up. I guess I should listen more to the film regarding whether there would have been a reason to go back, but alas I was kind of an idiot while watching, haha.

DarkChocolateOreo wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 9:00 am
You can tell there was some mandate to get the film to exactly under 2:30:00, probably by the studio. Its a 180 pg script, his longest ever. I think it was too much to edit down and I also think that Jen Lame (while great at editing smaller films) just didnt have the exp necessary for a film of this scale...maybe covid made a bad situation worse

It will never happen but I hope to god that Nolan does a directors cut on the blu-ray. This is the first time Ive really felt like so much was cut.
and we've started with the conspiracy theories, sweet

-Vader

After my first viewing i left the feeling confused, underwhelmed but amazed at the same time. When taking the train home i was speaking to my friend and we actually pieced together bits of information that the other didn't know and only then the movie began to make sense lol.

I knew it needed a second watch and wow. The second watch is so much more satisfying having much of the information and context already you get to focus more on the thematic and philosophical parts of the story and i enjoyed it a lot more.

Directing - BOMBASTIC (Nolan's best action by FAR IMO)

Cinematography - Amazing (It's inception but dirty but clean as f***)

Soundtrack - surprisingly Great (i did not have much faith in ludwig but he actually smashed it)

Writing - Insane (such a surreal concept loved it. Convoluted plot gets in the way of thematic and character exploration could have been 3 hours or less spy exposition)

Editing - Very Good (the feat of editing a concept like this is brave as hell lol)

Sound Mixing terrible (important plot points inaudible. IMAX camera issue?)

My Nolan ranking

The Prestige 8.5
The Dark Knight 8.5
Inception 8.25
Interstellar 8.25
Memento 8
Tenet 8
Dunkirk 8
The Dark Knight Rises 8
Batman Begins 7.5
Insomnia 7
Following 7
Last edited by Pr0creation on September 3rd, 2020, 4:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Third viewing done and it’s even better, truly an amazing film and picked up a few things I hadn’t got the first couple of times.

Always changes but right now I’d rank Nolan films as;
Interstellar
Tenet
Inception
The Prestige
Dunkirk
Memento
TDK
TDKR
Batman Begins
Insomnia

Pr0creation wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 4:20 pm
After my first viewing i left the feeling confused, underwhelmed but amazed at the same time. When taking the train home i was speaking to my friend and we actually pieced together bits of information that the other didn't know and only then the movie began to make sense lol.

I knew it needed a second watch and wow. The second watch is so much more satisfying having much of the information and context already you get to focus more on the thematic and philosophical parts of the story and i enjoyed it a lot more.

Soundtrack - surprisingly Great (i did not have much faith in ludwig but he actually smashed it)

Writing - Insane (such a surreal concept loved it. Convoluted plot gets in the way of thematic and character exploration could have been 3 hours or less spy exposition)

Editing - Very Good (the feat of editing a concept like this is brave as hell lol)

My Nolan ranking

The Prestige 8.5
The Dark Knight 8.5
Inception 8.25
Interstellar 8.25
Memento 8
Tenet 8
Dunkirk 8
The Dark Knight Rises 8
Batman Begins 7.5
Insomnia 7
Following 7
You're on a Nolan fans forum, yet you don't rate any of his films higher than 8,5 ?

Demoph wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 5:23 pm
Pr0creation wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 4:20 pm

My Nolan ranking

The Prestige 8.5
The Dark Knight 8.5
Inception 8.25
Interstellar 8.25
Memento 8
Tenet 8
Dunkirk 8
The Dark Knight Rises 8
Batman Begins 7.5
Insomnia 7
Following 7
You're on a Nolan fans forum, yet you don't rate any of his films higher than 8,5 ?

Yes.

I hate when people rate films 10/10. Like, you're submitting to the fact that no film could ever possibly be made better than that ever?

So that's why my ratings may seem low.

Besides, 8 out of 11 films all 8/10+ is worthy of fandom lol