Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Picasso wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 5:11 am
Do you actually think JDW is the protagonist?
I don't know if this is a question for me or for somebody else, pardon if it isn't. I'm not sure I got your question sorry.
I suppose you mean if JDW was able to carry the movie as the protagonist? Or if he has enough presence to justify The Protagonist title?

It is a yes to both questions, I found JDW's presence is quite magnetic for the main action figure of Tenet. I believe it was a great casting choice, same for Pattinson.

First time poster here. long time lurker.

Pride myself on being a huge Nolan fanatic. love all his movies, kinda obsessed wit him since seeing memento in the cinema. I love DKR, Dunkirk and Intersteller a-lot more than my friends do i notice. i never had much issue with things people criticise his films for, for me, he's a modern day Hitchcock/Orson Welles who s career has just gone from strength to strength with the creative freedom he and Emma have carved out for themselves. I loved Dunkirk so much, it feels up to now he has been out doing himself each time he makes a movie. going further into the core of what is cinematic and giving us something we've never seen before. I 'm not blind to "the flaws" people speak of in his films but to be honest his films are so well made and so enjoyable and so exciting that they don't bother me that much as I said.

Tenet: I can honestly say I flat out "didn't get it" and after a while I just couldn't enjoy the movie as it so complex and the concept was hard to grasp. Its first time i had issue with the sound in his movies(after all these years i never understood peoples grips) but on this one the low dialogue was a problem on my first viewing.

I thought the set pieces were amazing and IMAX footage(as always) looked stunning. loved the cast,the locations ,the clothes, sound effects, the score(really good). everything was top notch, top tier nolan. However the whole film feels hollow and uninteresting to me. even the selling point of "nolan does bond" didn't float my boat as he done a-lot of that in the past, as in Dk trilogy and inception.
and the rules of the how inversion work just seems so paper thin.and is hard to get excited about when its happening because i simply couldnt get my head around the physics of it. with nothing else cling to, with so little characterisation we re just left sitting there going. " wow they did that for real it felt like watching a showreel for the stunts.

I think Nolan has made this truly meta movie where the experience itself is a panadrome. as in you only have kinda' watched half the movie if you have seen it once. A puzzle-box or magic eye trick where it revels itself after more viewings. All power to him and Im looking forward to watching it again.. but it has to said this is by far his weakest film experience and something I'm afraid has hurt his relationship with the audience. . unless his next film is completely different, you could see audience really groaning at the marketing of his next one rather than excitement. its not a disaster, and after more viewings and with time and hindsight this could be seen as one of his best films and that he 's simply ten steps ahead of the audience. but it HAS TO BE SAID.. its very odd feeling coming out of Nolan film and being "disappointed" to such a degree.

Drewton wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 9:48 pm

So yeah, easily the weakest film by Nolan, aside from Insomnia which I haven't seen. Definitely the worst first impression I've gotten from one by far.

Ranking:
Inception
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Interstellar
Batman Begins
Memento
The Dark Knight Rises
Dunkirk (nothing wrong with it, just don't love it as much)
Tenet

I don't want to be too down on it. I enjoyed it well enough, I'll definitely see it again, and a lot of the action was great. But it's no Inception.
My ranking:
1. The Dark Knight
2. Memento
3. Interstellar
4. The Prestige
5. Tenet
6. Inception
7. Batman Begins
8. Dunkirk
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Following
11. Insomnia

Slant Magazine ranking
11. lnception
10. Tenet
9. Dunkirk
8. Following
7. Batman Begins
6. Insomnia
5. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Prestige
3. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Memento
1. lnterstellar

https://www.slantmagazine.com/film/rank ... to-best/2/

(wondering if any of those people who rate Insomnia low have experienced the sleep disorder?)

I don't know if it's already time to spell out our personal interpretations of the film's subtext, but I have a few thoughts, so here what I think of the main villain, Sator, who I think is one of the smartest villains Nolan's written.
I don't think Nolan when portraying Sator as an abuser was being a screenwriting Neanderthal who thinks making the main villain a wife abuser will make him more evil. I think when you analyze the character and the climax in particular, and how he relates to that, Nolan was making a very personal statement on the human nature while disguising it as a giant ticking-clock action set piece. The way I see it, Sator is a metaphor for how abusers in real life are. In the film he's dying, and he wants the whole world die with him, so that's why he wants to activate the algorithm. On a surface level it seems like a generic supervillain plan, but I really find that compelling in a metaphorical way, because Sator represents the general characteristics of abusers, who don't want to just abuse others, but also want to impose their suffering onto everybody else, because they don't have empathy for others and they just want everybody to suffer along with them. So I think Sator is way more than meets the eye.
Last edited by Batman's Batman on September 2nd, 2020, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackColumn wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:16 am
Slant Magazine ranking
11. lnception
10. Tenet
9. Dunkirk
8. Following
7. Batman Begins
6. Insomnia
5. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Prestige
3. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Memento
1. lnterstellar

(wondering if any of those people who rate Insomnia low have experienced the sleep disorder?)
TDKR twice? One of them must be TDK. This ranking is one I haven't seen from anyone in the history of ranking Nolan films especially with Inception last.

bootsy wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 11:12 am
blackColumn wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:16 am
Slant Magazine ranking
11. lnception
10. Tenet
9. Dunkirk
8. Following
7. Batman Begins
6. Insomnia
5. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Prestige
3. The Dark Knight
2. Memento
1. lnterstellar

TDKR twice? One of them must be TDK. This ranking is one I haven't seen from anyone in the history of ranking Nolan films especially with Inception last.
Fixed.
And yeah. Inception is my least favourite as well. It would make no difference to me if it stopped existing. I like nothing about it. Story, acting, OST etc. No hate, just sheer indifference.

my ranking... very interesting see how different evevyones are.

1.Dunkirk

2.Memento

3.Interstellar

4.Batman begins(im a huge batman fan outside of the Nolan mythos hence this one I have as very soft spot for)

5.Dark knight rises

6.Inception (Saw this in the cinema again for 100th time just 3weeks ago in Liemax. its kinda perfect, i say this to show you how high i estimate the others ahead of it, beside it etc.

7.Dark knight

8.The Prestige

9.Insomnia (I love this film, its just his other films are better)

10. TENET

11. Following (love this film, but sort of outside the list a bit as unfair to compare to his non self financed films.

Pit180 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 5:31 am
I don't know if this is a question for me or for somebody else, pardon if it isn't. I'm not sure I got your question sorry.
I suppose you mean if JDW was able to carry the movie as the protagonist? Or if he has enough presence to justify The Protagonist title?

It is a yes to both questions, I found JDW's presence is quite magnetic for the main action figure of Tenet. I believe it was a great casting choice, same for Pattinson.
It was an open question.

The point was not about the actor, I think all the actors in the film do exactly what they are asked to do. I don't have any regrets in that regard.
I am referring to the character. I think "The Protagonist" is not the main character. I think that is the final twist of the film.

The first thing that I base myself on is what it said in the first IMAX trailer: "New kind of protagonist".

After watching the movie I wonder why "The protagonist" is a new kind of protagonist?

And the second thing I base myself on is the voice-over at the end, which reflects on the lack of historical relevance of the person who dismantles the unexploded bomb. In principle the phrase applies to JDW and the whole team, but if you look at it in depth, Pattison seems to be the secondary, but in the end we discover that he was always ahead of JDW, from the very moment of his presentation.

I don't know if it happened to anyone else, but for several moments in the film I thought there would be a twist that would reveal that Pattison is the protagonist, the chosen one, something like that. And somehow that's what happens in the scene where he says goodbye and gets into the helicopter.

Another point that I rely on is that it's an intelligence film. The CIA and MI6 are hinted at. And if you look at how these intelligence services work, that's exactly how Neil, Pattison's character, acts. Neil is always ahead of the game, he knows more than JDW, but it gives him the illusion of being in control. It's one of the basic tactics when it comes to infiltrating groups and movements. The people of Anonymous believe that they are an independent and anti-system movement, but they are puppets of the CIA. And that's the feeling I get from the protagonist, he's a puppet, to the point that he doesn't question any of the challenges he faces and always accepts them without hesitation. And he is shaken from one place to another to fulfil the mission. No protagonist, not even Jesus Christ himself, is free from doubting his mission at any time.

So I think that Pattison throughout the film has been that man who is defusing the bomb. JDW is getting all the looks, and they even call him, or call himself, "The protagonist". Why? Was it necessary? Didn't it sound a bit strange to you? Why do you think Nolan is making this decision?

For me it would be a great innovation and would give a lot of sense to the film. In a way it's something similar to the end of TDK, where Batman assumes to be the villain, here Neil assumes to give the recognition of us, the viewers, to "The protagonist".

In the end it's just a theory. I may be a victim of cognitive dissonance, since seeing the trailers and knowing Nolan I suspected he could do something like this.

Picasso wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 5:11 am
Do you actually think JDW is the protagonist?
I felt like the protagonist is the one who is together on a ride with the audience - experiencing everything at the same time as viewers. Imo, the real protagonist is Neil, because he helps the protagonist to make correct choices throughout the film.