Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
stanley wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 11:31 am
^ For me, there were scenes where information is being given and I just couldn't make it out. But beyond that, the movie is heavy on plotting and it moves along pretty fast. I think I just lost the thread early on. That was also my experience the first time I saw Inception, so I imagine I'll enjoy it more the second time.
yeah i of course cannot speak to your experience, but anecdotally, my friends and i didn’t have that issue and even went so far as to talk about how crazy good/immersive the mix was

granted, this was in a newly renovated Laser Imax, but still

I'm glad you had that experience, but sadly it's not shared by many people. My *guess* is that Nolan wanted a very particular sound mix, and the majority of auditoriums just can't swing it.

A friend couldn't make out like 50% of the dialogue in Tenet in an IMAX theater with 12 year old equipment. I just saw Raiders and Inception inside the same IMAX, and the sound was great.

So extremely bummer Navy Pier is closed.

-Vader

It’s a shame so many are having sound/dialogue probs. I was lucky, heard pretty much every word, the only part was ATJ near the end.

Vader182 wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 1:44 pm
I'm glad you had that experience, but sadly it's not shared by many people. My *guess* is that Nolan wanted a very particular sound mix, and the majority of auditoriums just can't swing it.

A friend couldn't make out like 50% of the dialogue in Tenet in an IMAX theater with 12 year old equipment. I just saw Raiders and Inception inside the same IMAX, and the sound was great.

-Vader
yeah i think this is probably right

it’s sad because when it works, i think it’s spectacular. but if the theater isn’t 100% up to spec, it’s not nearly as good an experience and you have the issues i think a lot of people are having

i’m interested to see, once NYC opens up, what the sound mix in 15/70 will be like - i’m pretty sure that runs on less channels than Laser and i’m sure it’s Nolan’s preferred format lol

Vader182 wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 1:44 pm

-Vader
im assuming u think cinemark seven bridges has the best sound mix in the chicagoland area?

Hey Guys. Long timer lurker here. Saw the film on Wednesday and have been constantly thinking about it as well as reading a lot of reviews here and there.

Without going into the film itself I think the problems most people have with Tenet can be chalked down to 2 points:

1: Point of View

Most people when watching a film tend to rely on god mode, as in you tend to know more about what is happening in a film or to be able to grasp the “bugger picture” than the film’s characters themselves. And in many ways this is one of the most important aspects when it comes to engaging the viewers.

However in Tenet we are only allowed to follow John David’s protagonist POV, were not given more info than he does. In doing so we were placed directly into chaos/confusion and are unable to make sense of what’s happening around us, just as how JDW himself had experienced it.

It’s jarring as our brains are wired to analyse images and sounds we see in a “logical”, “cognitive” way and Tenet is doing everything it can to stop you from going into this process the first time you watch it. And for most audience this inability to process things logically and/or to be in god mode will make them unable to enjoy the film.

Spoiler
For example: JDW had no idea until the end that he is actually the one who created the TENET organisation in future (the one who started all of this) and we didn’t get any explanations on how/when/why because we’re with the present JDW, not the future JDW.
And this subjective way of focusing on a single POV without providing the objective bigger “picture” almost reminded me of Rashomon’ plot devices in some way.

Momento is probably the closest film of Nolan to lack the god mode ability however it has one thing that Tenet doesn’t.( see point 2)

2: Film Structure

The reason why 3 part structures of film making works is because it’s been tried and tested countless times and I don’t think most people, including me went into the Tenet expecting the film to lack this structure itself.
Sure we know that obviously with a Nolan film it’ll have non-linear timelines etc but every film of his (bar Dunkirk) has had 3 part structure firmly in place.

As previously mentioned despite Momento lacking the god mode POV as well as non-linear story telling, it still has the 3 part structure in place. We were able to understand the characters origins/setup, conflict/confrontation and resolution well enough, regardless whether if the film ran backwards or not.

Dunkirk which happened to share many similarities with Tenet also worked well despite only having the climax/resolution part because of its premise (i.e. you’re in a middle of war and you’re going home). So it hardly mattered for Dunkirk to have a setup/confrontation as the film was trying to place the viewers’ mindset in an actual war.

Tenet however, only shows you the beginning and end of a “traditional” film and we as audiences are expected to fill in that gap with what little clues that were left throughout the film and most of the time will have to imagine it for ourselves. Thus it’s not surprising that viewers are frustrated because the middle part is where we build that emotional core to characters and also see them develop.
And if you only get to see the effect of cause/effect relationship it’s hard to warp your head around it when so much of the info (Spoiler:
The future arc)
are missing.

To conclude I believe it was done deliberately and intentionally on Nolan’s part as since Dunkirk he’s been focused on the “experiencing the film” aspect as opposed to making a film in the traditional sense.

It’ll be hard to argue whether if this “avant-garde” way of story telling is the correct way of showcase this film.

Him doing something never seen before (whether it’s the structure or action or simply ideas) has seemed to become his only obsession.

In some ways I think this film is ahead of its time and perhaps few years down the line it’ll be regarded and appreciated more.

For now I can’t really judge how good it even how bad this film is....and hopefully once I see it again sometime next week I will have a clearer understanding of this crazy think-piece.

I think their sound is 15% too loud and piercing usually, but I've never had an issue understanding dialogue in all my many years of going there.

-Vader

Gylian wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 2:15 pm

To conclude I believe it was done deliberately and intentionally on Nolan’s part as since Dunkirk he’s been focused on the “experiencing the film” aspect as opposed to making a film in the traditional sense.

It’ll be hard to argue whether if this “avant-garde” way of story telling is the correct way of showcase this film.

Him doing something never seen before (whether it’s the structure or action or simply ideas) has seemed to become his only obsession.

In some ways I think this film is ahead of its time and perhaps few years down the line it’ll be regarded and appreciated more.
I haven't seen the film yet, but I was thinking today that, judging from the reviews I've read here and on other sites, Tenet does look like a spiritual successor to Dunkirk rather than Inception. Despite being Nolan's hugest, most action-y blockbuster, it sounds like one of his most experimental and "meta" works (I mean, "The Protagonist" says it all).

The big difference is that in Dunkirk's case the narration was multifocal and complex, but the story was very simple at its core and based on well-known real events.
Tenet's scope is much wider, and the action takes place in a world with its own set of complex rules. Of course, changing points of view and momentarily withholding information from the audience in this kind of context ends up being way more alienating than it was in Dunkirk - even more so if the dialogues are hard to follow.

The thing is, I think this feeling of alienation is totally intentional on Nolan's part. Otherwise, he would have presented the story in a much more conventional way, as he did in Inception (which, except for the beginning, is pretty straightforward if you pay just a bit of attention. It's even color-coded!).

I'm just not sure people agree with him that the story is best experienced this way.
I'm curious to see what I'll end up thinking about it once I've seen the film.

Lynn wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 6:05 pm
Gylian wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 2:15 pm

I haven't seen the film yet, but I was thinking today that, judging from the reviews I've read here and on other sites, Tenet does look like a spiritual successor to Dunkirk rather than Inception. Despite being Nolan's hugest, most action-y blockbuster, it sounds like one of his most experimental and "meta" works (I mean, "The Protagonist" says it all).

The big difference is that in Dunkirk's case the narration was multifocal and complex, but the story was very simple at its core and based on well-known real events.
Tenet's scope is much wider, and the action takes place in a world with its own set of complex rules. Of course, changing points of view and momentarily withholding information from the audience in this kind of context ends up being way more alienating than it was in Dunkirk - even more so if the dialogues are hard to follow.

The thing is, I think this feeling of alienation is totally intentional on Nolan's part. Otherwise, he would have presented the story in a much more conventional way, as he did in Inception (which, except for the beginning, is pretty straightforward if you pay just a bit of attention. It's even color-coded!).

I'm just not sure people agree with him that the story is best experienced this way.
I'm curious to see what I'll end up thinking about it once I've seen the film.
I was thinking something similar. It feels more like a spiritual successor to Dunkirk than Inception based on what multiple reviews have said. It might be more experimental than his other works although to me all of them have some level of experimentation. I’ll find out what my thoughts are in that regard when I see it though.

Ahead of its time? Wouldn’t surprise me. Hopefully that will be the case.

I find the film to quite linear compared to Dunkirk. With Tenet you’re always with *the protagonist*. Structurally, it’s very straight forward. Of course the time manipulation elements can be quite hard to grasp because things happen from another perspective that can be a bit confusing.

Yes, Tenet has a complex concept but Dunkirk was structurally complex.

About the sound...

It is of course intentional - but the effect Nolan wanted might have been exaggerated in most theaters - especially IMAX since IMAX theaters are usually much louder and they might have their own mixes and by the way, I think a lot if not all IMAX theaters have full range speakers and no subwoofers. So the low end comes out from all speakers. Nolan talked once about summing up the low end from the whole mix instead of having s dedicated LFE track (gotta look up the source of this to get a clearer idea).

I just wonder if WB are kicking themselves with this. Nolan is probably fine with but as a studio that is trying to market the film and get as many people in as possible. Having the word of mouth mostly masked by this sound mix issue is not good at all.