Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
great stuff

jetsdude wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 3:43 pm
dsus4gtr wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:47 pm
DHOPW42 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:22 pm
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but there are a few lines I loved and thought were really timely, and/or appropriate in a way. I can't quote exactly, but here are two that stood out for me:
Neil explains the grandfather paradox, and how it cannot be resolved, as it is a paradox, but the future believes no harm can come from destroying the past, and believing in it is enough reason for carrying it out. I thought it was a really subtle jab at a very modern experience. "They believe in it, so they are attacking us". I think it's a very nice and poignant moment.

I also liked the revelation that Sator is about to kill himself, and how they explained that he is a sort of man who would want to decide when he was going to die. This is one thought that kind of hits home: the whole myth and theme of death, and the fear of it is partly based on the fact that we cannot know when we die. I think this moment really delves into this experience, and I love the film for it.
I need more viewings to be able to quote other moments, but I'll definitely do that in the coming days!
Would you say that Nolan has made this story timeless without any current political commentary? Also, did he keep it timeless and not put any current real life news/media brands in this film? In other words does this film favor one political ideology or was it made for everyone and timeless like he normally does.
While Nolan clearly intended for this movie to be timeless I believe there are significant social commentaries or nods relevant to present day that at least had some preconceived thought put into them. Some of these include:
- a black protagonist, and diverse cast. And a buddy action movie where the buddies are different races (you better believe this was an intentional choice). I loved the positivity of their relationship (did they even argue 1 time?)
and wished we saw more of JDW and Pattinson as lifelong friends.
- a marriage in which each
person's belief creates resentment which of course escalates over time, while neither ultimately takes responsibility for those beliefs, but feel trapped in some way. i could go on and on about this as i feel there's massive "gatsby green light phenomena" happening here within both Sator and Kat. I wonder if Nolan was experiencing some marriage issues of his own, or at the very least some deep realizations at the time or writing, because those characters are way more than just a guy who beats his wife.
- the feeling instead of thinking. (I'm not going to think about your point of view, i'm simply going to react emotionally and ruin your life.)
Considering Nolan's previous work, it's not with this film that I would worry about Nolan's marriage. And anyway, I wouldn't worry about it at all. For better or worse, this isn't the way Nolan makes his movies feel personal. He's no Bergman or Godard. He doesn't want to share his private life.

Demoph wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:34 pm
My favourite line would be Debicki's
"I wish I was that woman". It's already beautiful when she says it, but at the end, when we see the jump again, it brought tears to my eyes.
I had forgotten about that, that's actually brilliant.

I just know this film will get better and better with each viewing.

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who felt that this scene was very moving (and acted very well!):
When the Protagonist realizes at the end that Neil has been a longtime friend of his... in the future. He gets all teary eyed, and the way he yells after Neil while he is going away... it's soooo good, and it's really moving.

Innovator wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 3:06 pm
TENET wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 11:46 am
For those who have seen it, are there any (or how many) of those euphoric, spine-tingling, hair-raising moments that I’ve come to expect from a Nolan film?

i.e. the docking scene in Interstellar, the oil scene in Dunkirk, the hallway fight and safe/kick scene in Inception just to name a few (of the many)

Obviously this is a very subjective question, but I’m just curious. I can add my thoughts to this when I see it on Monday.
To me, that moment in Tenet was the airplane crash heist, I think it might be my favorite sequence in the film, it's epic and just insanely badass.
Cosigned. Knowing they did this with practical effects, it's nuts. There's a 747 crushing multiple cars, running over them, and slamming into a building. I was absolutely giddy during that sequence.

Demoph wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:21 pm
jetsdude wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 3:43 pm
dsus4gtr wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Would you say that Nolan has made this story timeless without any current political commentary? Also, did he keep it timeless and not put any current real life news/media brands in this film? In other words does this film favor one political ideology or was it made for everyone and timeless like he normally does.
While Nolan clearly intended for this movie to be timeless I believe there are significant social commentaries or nods relevant to present day that at least had some preconceived thought put into them. Some of these include:
- a black protagonist, and diverse cast. And a buddy action movie where the buddies are different races (you better believe this was an intentional choice). I loved the positivity of their relationship (did they even argue 1 time?) and wished we saw more of JDW and Pattinson as lifelong friends.
- a marriage in which each person's belief creates resentment which of course escalates over time, while neither ultimately takes responsibility for those beliefs, but feel trapped in some way. i could go on and on about this as i feel there's massive "gatsby green light phenomena" happening here within both Sator and Kat. I wonder if Nolan was experiencing some marriage issues of his own, or at the very least some deep realizations at the time or writing, because those characters are way more than just a guy who beats his wife.
- the feeling instead of thinking. (I'm not going to think about your point of view, i'm simply going to react emotionally and ruin your life.)
Considering Nolan's previous work, it's not with this film that I would worry about Nolan's marriage. And anyway, I wouldn't worry about it at all. For better or worse, this isn't the way Nolan makes his movies feel personal. He's no Bergman or Godard. He doesn't want to share his private life.
of course, none of us can know and it's none of our business. All the marital themes he continues to explore through his work are not there by accident though...
"Did I plant the idea in my wife's head that changed us?"
"My wife is very much 2 people, the one jumping off the boat to freedom, and the one who is happy here today."
"If I can't have you no one can."
"Got so lost in my work that she took the kids and moved to Cleveland."

Obviously, I'm not saying he believes these things, but these are very deep marital thoughts that many of us think about on a daily basis, and likely Nolan is one of those people, which makes his movies and his writing brilliant because it's personal.

Laar's Beard Shaver wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:32 pm
Cosigned. Knowing they did this with practical effects, it's nuts. There's a 747 crushing multiple cars, running over them, and slamming into a building. I was absolutely giddy during that sequence.
It's in conjunction with what immediately comes next that makes the whole segment my favorite, it oozed style, only like a heist scene can. So freaking cool.

DHOPW42 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:28 pm
Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who felt that this scene was very moving (and acted very well!):
When the Protagonist realizes at the end that Neil has been a longtime friend of his... in the future. He gets all teary eyed, and the way he yells after Neil while he is going away... it's soooo good, and it's really moving.
I got chills and I almost cried at
the reveal at the end. Starting at the close up on the bracelet/necklace on his backpack...

And I can’t shake the idea that Max grows up to be Neil. The blonde hair, the backpack lol. He literally inherits Rotas and has access to the turnstiles. But now that I think about it he would stay inverted for years how does that affect his aging? So that could be a sign that this theory isn’t right at all.

Tarssauce wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:55 pm
DHOPW42 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 4:28 pm
I got chills and I almost cried at
the reveal at the end. Starting at the close up on the bracelet/necklace on his backpack...

And I can’t shake the idea that Max grows up to be Neil. The blonde hair, the backpack lol. He literally inherits Rotas and has access to the turnstiles. But now that I think about it he would stay inverted for years how does that affect his aging? So that could be a sign that this theory isn’t right at all.
Niel wasn't upset enough about his mother being shot. JDW was more interested in saving her then he was. "we nee to save her here and now"

danevito wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 6:08 pm
Niel wasn't upset enough about his mother being shot. JDW was more interested in saving her then he was. "we nee to save her here and now"
Why would he be? He knows she’ll be fine.