Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on August 12, 2020
User avatar
Posts: 2560
Joined: December 2016
redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 9:13 am
There is also a 4K Laser system with a single projector and that one is only able to run in the 1.9:1 aspect ratio. But these should have better video quality and definitely better sound quality than the auditoriums featuring the dual 2K Xenon setup.
Interesting. I do remember reading about a cheaper 4K laser option that is also smaller in size maybe that’s the one.

User avatar
Posts: 2318
Joined: March 2010
Location: Texas
Tarssauce wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 9:19 am
redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 9:13 am
There is also a 4K Laser system with a single projector and that one is only able to run in the 1.9:1 aspect ratio. But these should have better video quality and definitely better sound quality than the auditoriums featuring the dual 2K Xenon setup.
Interesting. I do remember reading about a cheaper 4K laser option that is also smaller in size maybe that’s the one.
Yeah, and unfortunately there are some old school 70mm IMAX screens that are choosing the single Laser setup instead of the dual Laser one. I guess they figure there isn't enough content released in 1.43 ratio to justify paying the extra money for dual Laser.

User avatar
Posts: 2560
Joined: December 2016
redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 9:26 am
Yeah, and unfortunately there are some old school 70mm IMAX screens that are choosing the single Laser setup instead of the dual Laser one. I guess they figure there isn't enough content released in 1.43 ratio to justify paying the extra money for dual Laser.
That’s unfortunate. More directors are beginning to lean towards a taller frame even if it isn’t shot on IMAX film. I don’t know just how expensive the dual 4K system is but it is a waste to have a gigantic not reaching its full potential. Covid aside, we were supposed to have 3 movies with 1.43:1 sequences. Top Gun is a possibility unless it was made with 1.90:1 in mind.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 3003
Joined: January 2009
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but there are a few lines I loved and thought were really timely, and/or appropriate in a way. I can't quote exactly, but here are two that stood out for me:
Neil explains the grandfather paradox, and how it cannot be resolved, as it is a paradox, but the future believes no harm can come from destroying the past, and believing in it is enough reason for carrying it out. I thought it was a really subtle jab at a very modern experience. "They believe in it, so they are attacking us". I think it's a very nice and poignant moment.

I also liked the revelation that Sator is about to kill himself, and how they explained that he is a sort of man who would want to decide when he was going to die. This is one thought that kind of hits home: the whole myth and theme of death, and the fear of it is partly based on the fact that we cannot know when we die. I think this moment really delves into this experience, and I love the film for it.
I need more viewings to be able to quote other moments, but I'll definitely do that in the coming days!

User avatar
Posts: 2560
Joined: December 2016
Not as deep as the ones you mentioned but I really love this quote:
Priya: Tenet wasn’t founded in the past. Tenet was founded in the future.
Don’t know if those are the exact lines but I got chills at moment. The music and the cinematography... unreal.

Posts: 761
Joined: January 2019
My favourite line would be Debicki's
"I wish I was that woman". It's already beautiful when she says it, but at the end, when we see the jump again, it brought tears to my eyes.
Have to say, out of all three last Nolan films, my two favourite characters may well be Murph and Kat (maybe Rylance also).
He's done huge progress in the writing of female characters, and I wish he'll soon have an actress as the lead.

Posts: 15
Joined: May 2019
Location: Tallinn
9.8/10 - It's an experience not just a film.

User avatar
Posts: 246
Joined: January 2014
DHOPW42 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:22 pm
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but there are a few lines I loved and thought were really timely, and/or appropriate in a way. I can't quote exactly, but here are two that stood out for me:
Neil explains the grandfather paradox, and how it cannot be resolved, as it is a paradox, but the future believes no harm can come from destroying the past, and believing in it is enough reason for carrying it out. I thought it was a really subtle jab at a very modern experience. "They believe in it, so they are attacking us". I think it's a very nice and poignant moment.


I also liked the revelation that Sator is about to kill himself, and how they explained that he is a sort of man who would want to decide when he was going to die. This is one thought that kind of hits home: the whole myth and theme of death, and the fear of it is partly based on the fact that we cannot know when we die. I think this moment really delves into this experience, and I love the film for it.
I need more viewings to be able to quote other moments, but I'll definitely do that in the coming days!
Would you say that Nolan has made this story timeless without any current political commentary? Also, did he keep it timeless and not put any current real life news/media brands in this film? In other words does this film favor one political ideology or was it made for everyone and timeless like he normally does.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 3003
Joined: January 2009
As with most Nolan films, Tenet's "sense of time or age" is quite vague (I know, I know, "TDK wants to say hello", but still), but there are two or three such quotes where Nolan hints at a world similar to ours. Similar in prevalent ideas and events. I still think it's timeless, as these themes the film touches upon are timeless themselves.

Posts: 120
Joined: April 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
dsus4gtr wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:47 pm
DHOPW42 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:22 pm
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but there are a few lines I loved and thought were really timely, and/or appropriate in a way. I can't quote exactly, but here are two that stood out for me:
Neil explains the grandfather paradox, and how it cannot be resolved, as it is a paradox, but the future believes no harm can come from destroying the past, and believing in it is enough reason for carrying it out. I thought it was a really subtle jab at a very modern experience. "They believe in it, so they are attacking us". I think it's a very nice and poignant moment.


I also liked the revelation that Sator is about to kill himself, and how they explained that he is a sort of man who would want to decide when he was going to die. This is one thought that kind of hits home: the whole myth and theme of death, and the fear of it is partly based on the fact that we cannot know when we die. I think this moment really delves into this experience, and I love the film for it.
I need more viewings to be able to quote other moments, but I'll definitely do that in the coming days!
Would you say that Nolan has made this story timeless without any current political commentary? Also, did he keep it timeless and not put any current real life news/media brands in this film? In other words does this film favor one political ideology or was it made for everyone and timeless like he normally does.
While Nolan clearly intended for this movie to be timeless I believe there are significant social commentaries or nods relevant to present day that at least had some preconceived thought put into them. Some of these include:
- a black protagonist, and diverse cast. And a buddy action movie where the buddies are different races (you better believe this was an intentional choice). I loved the positivity of their relationship (did they even argue 1 time?)
and wished we saw more of JDW and Pattinson as lifelong friends.
- a marriage in which
each person's belief creates resentment which of course escalates over time, while neither ultimately takes responsibility for those beliefs, but feel trapped in some way. i could go on and on about this as i feel there's massive "gatsby green light phenomena" happening here within both Sator and Kat. I wonder if Nolan was experiencing some marriage issues of his own, or at the very least some deep realizations at the time or writing, because those characters are way more than just a guy who beats his wife.
- the feeling instead of thinking. (I'm not going to think about your point of view, i'm simply going to react emotionally and ruin your life.)
Last edited by Nomis on August 29th, 2020, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spoilers

Post Reply