Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
morlock84 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 12:09 pm
filipeG wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 11:08 am
:lol: :lol: When native english speaking people don't understand what's being said it's respectfully hilarious. I wonder how warner is going to address this issue.
I am very delighted to live in a non-english country and to watch the movie with subs tomorrow, everyone saying it's inaudible :lol:
Yeahh waiting for ur reaction mate...

Watched it twice. I still don't understand most of second half
(after Kat is shot and they go through the inversion machine in Italy)
but I still loved it, lol. As literally stated a few times in the movie, you can still feel it while not fully understanding it.

I've never ever NOT understand Nolan's previous films on a first viewing, but Tenet is really something else. I'll see it again for sure.

My rankings of characters & performances:

Not a fan at all
8. Kenneth Branagh / Sator

Serviceable
7. Aaron Taylor-Johnson / Ives
6. Clémence Poésy / Laura

Mixed, but really good in some scenes
5. Elizabeth Debicki / Kat

Such a delightful cameo
4. Michael Caine / Sir Crosby

Surprisingly good
3. Dimple Kapadia / Priya

Great
2. John David Washington / The Protagonist
1. Robert Pattinson / Neil
Neil's character arc and Pattinson's layered performance made me so emotional on a second viewing. Neil is the best.

I’ve got a chance to see this for a second time on the same evening in the same cinema, both in IMAX on Wed.... dare I do it?!?!!!

SCORPIO16 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 9:28 am
Hey guys. Just came back from my 1st advanced screening of Tenet. Here are some of my thoughts (spoiler-free).
1) Score (7/10): LG has done pretty good job assuming working for the 1st time with Nolan. But it didn't connect with me like it did for Inception, Interstellar or maybe even for Dunkirk. It lacked that emotional touch. It's all electronic that goes along with the amazing action sequences, but not that outstanding if you think about it later.
2) Sound (5/10): I agree with all the complaints about the sound mixing and design stuff. You can't hear the dialogues, not even during the climactic moments. Important information were being fed to the audiences during the action sequences
3) Cinematography (9/10): Kudos to HVH for delivering another beautifully shot movie. Considering the complexity of the action scenes, he did an excellent job. Especially, the cinematography of the 3rd act was lit (most of you will get the location I’m talking about)
4) Editing (6/10): For me, JL did an ok job for a first timer in a big scale movie. Some of the scenes were oddly cut. But the movie did have that Nolanesque editing indicating that Nolan does have the control over his editors. My issue with the film was that it was too fast-paced and maybe a bit short for a movie like this. I know 2.5 hours for a blockbuster is pretty standard. But there was less room for emotional scenes. You don't have any time to think, to feel or to digest any information. There are very minimal build-ups to events. It’s all BAM BAM BAM as some reviewer mentioned. It’s more like Dunkirk in terms of audience experience. 2.5 hrs. is not sufficient for the amount of information the audiences have to digest. Long movies are usually considered poorly edited, but this is not the case here. The movie feels very rushed and hyper-pacey. it worked for Dunkirk, but not in this case IMO.
5) Screenplay (6/10): I was very confused about the critics’ response regarding the complexity of the movie. Some said, it was pretty straight-forward movie, while for others it was as confusing as hell. Well, I think now I understand why critics are so divisive about the movie. The structure of the story is pretty straight-forward. There were lesser expositions compared to Inception. And that, I think, is the problem here. Tenet is a very high concept movie which needed more expositions for general audiences and critics to understand. I think Nolan trusted his audiences too much this time. On top of that, you couldn't hear important expositions due to the sound issue. That’s why, most of the critics are saying that the movie is confusing. I think, the structure of Tenet is simpler than Inception but the concept and the rules are much complex in case of Tenet. It will require multiple viewings with subtitles to truly appreciate the movie. It’s no wonder that the actors couldn't understand the script first time they read it. I cannot comment on the dialogues because most of the time I couldn't hear anything. But the story did lack a emotional heart. I mean, there is obviously some emotional aspects to it. But compared to Inception or Interstellar, the story is pretty forgettable.
6) Acting (7/10) & Characters (5/10): Well, as with every other movies of Nolan, there was not much room for the actors to act here. Because most of his story is plot-driven, not character-driven. JDW, RP, Debicki, KB, Dimple Kapadia all did pretty good acting considering the limitations of the screenplay. But the characters have none to minimal character arc. I now understand, why RP said that the length of the movie is like 3 movies combined. Because there was no room for any character development whatsoever. I’m really disappointed with the character of KB. I expected more from Nolan. All the other characters are pretty forgettable also. In the end of Inception, I cared for Cobb. I was worried whether he did make it or not at the end. In Interstellar, I also felt for Cooper. I was happy that he did finally meet with his daughter. Without going into the details of the story, I didn’t feel anything for the main characters. Maybe it will change after multiple viewings.
7) Directing (9/10): Maybe in terms of direction only, this is one of the best, if not the best movie of the last decade. I mean, the scale of the movie is huge. The action sequences are just WOW, there’s no denying it. After seeing this movie, no one can argue that Nolan can’t do great action. It has never been done before and no one will dare to do it in future as RP said in an interview. The audacity of the action scenes is pure class. I don’t want to spoil anything, but only Nolan could have pulled it off. And he did it in terms of direction.
8) The Movie (7/10): I must say, I was overall disappointed. Maybe some of this disappointment comes from the hype and over-expectation from the movie. I mean, no one expected Inception from Nolan in 2009. But the stakes are higher now. The mixed reviews from the critics are justified IMO. Although, they don’t mean anything to me. But my concern is, audiences will not love the movie as they did with Interstellar or Inception. Maybe my view will change with multiple viewings. Those who are saying the movie will get better after repeated viewings, some things don’t change even after multiple viewings. You may understand the concept or dialogues better after 2nd or 3rd viewing but the movie lacked the emotional core that was present in Inception and Interstellar. It was a great action movie and that’s it. For me, it wasn’t Nolan’s masterpiece.

My Ranking of Nolan Movies (From Best to Good):
Inception > Memento > Interstellar > The Dark Knight > The Prestige > Tenet > Dunkirk > Batman Begins > The Dark Knight Rises > Insomnia > Following
Felt the same about the movie.
Shame about the sound and screen play.
I hope Nolan learns from this.
JasperBarlow wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:17 pm

Not a fan at all

Serviceable

Such a delightful cameo

Surprisingly good

Great
Neil's character arc and Pattinson's layered performance made me so emotional on a second viewing. Neil is the best.
Branagh was weird.
And I want a fe an of the The Indian lady character.
Her chcaracter added nothing.

to those who watched the movie, tell me please, are there any large-scale scenes or action sequences in the film that were not shown in the last trailer? Will there be any surprises and scenes that were saved for the viewer, or did the last trailer show almost everything?

I ordered the screenplay book so that I can read it immediately after seeing the movie (since it seems pretty likely that I'll be lost coming out of it the first time, and it's not guaranteed I'll catch everything on a rewatch either). Then I'll see it a second time after having read it. I tend to enjoy second viewings the most with Nolan, at least that's been the case with his last few films.

tylerthesoapmaker wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 4:54 pm
to those who watched the movie, tell me please, are there any large-scale scenes or action sequences in the film that were not shown in the last trailer? Will there be any surprises and scenes that were saved for the viewer, or did the last trailer show almost everything?
I think that's pretty much everything. Although my brain is mush so I don't know if I'm missing anything.

mosh89 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 4:10 pm
JasperBarlow wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:17 pm

Not a fan at all

Serviceable

Such a delightful cameo

Surprisingly good

Great
Branagh was weird.
And I want a fe an of the The Indian lady character.
Her chcaracter added nothing.
I haven't watch the movie but it always seem obvious to me Nolan wanted a big star NOT based in Hollywood to increase the 'scale' of the movie.

Sad to hear that Branagh didnt work for you. I thought he performance looked really good in the trailers.

Any here follow the NHL? If so how was Sean Avery? Sorry I don’t how to post picture. He listed a
red soldier 1
I don’t want to know what happens to him but if he can act

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 8:02 pm
Any here follow the NHL? If so how was Sean Avery? Sorry I don’t how to post picture. He listed a
red soldier 1
I don’t want to know what happens to him but if he can act
If he is who I think he is, he has like one line and is almost out of focus.
Last edited by JasperBarlow on August 23rd, 2020, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.