Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Sunstep wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 5:55 pm
Droped to 7.8 on imdb and isn't the end.
7.6 now.

It also went down to a 3.5 on letterboxd, officially tied with Insomnia and Following as the lowest rated Nolan movie on the site.

Both of these scores will continue going down as more people see the movie.

-Vader

https://youtu.be/ZAOqEcJjHOQ

Filmento made a "failure analysis" of Tenet. I like this guy. He is one of the few movie essay youtubers that I like. He enjoyed the movie, but it could have been better with a emotional core. So he compares it to Inception.

I can see why people think Tenet is cold. Has no emotional depth. But I'm actually tired of all these lame ass emotional backgrounds for protagonists. He lost his wife oooh buhuu so sad. We've seen that thousand times already :roll: Audiences (even the ones who call themselves "cinephile") are too often easily satisfied with simple emotional backgrounds. Like:

:oops: : The movie has a good plot, visually stunning and the action is breathtaking. But the protagonist is boring. I have nothing to relate with them.
Director: add dead child/wife/husband/friend
:oops: : Wow masterpiece

I'm pretty sure Nolan broke this rule on purpose and I like that. He is evolving in storytelling starting with Dunkirk.

Vader182 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:34 am
Sunstep wrote:
7.6 now.

It also went down to a 3.5 on letterboxd, officially tied with Insomnia and Following as the lowest rated Nolan movie on the site.

-Vader
I wonder if some of these reviews have been influenced by the whole controversy aspect surrounding Nolan and Tenet.

In any case, it shouldn’t matter. I’ve talked to people who thought it was a good film but they were mad at it due to its complexity, so they wouldn’t recommend it or give it a high rating. If we like it then that’s the important thing at the end of the day. Not saying constructive criticism isn’t important.

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 5:54 am
https://youtu.be/ZAOqEcJjHOQ

Filmento made a "failure analysis" of Tenet. I like this guy. He is one of the few movie essay youtubers that I like. He enjoyed the movie, but it could have been better with a emotional core. So he compares it to Inception.

I can see why people think Tenet is cold. Has no emotional depth. But I'm actually tired of all these lame ass emotional backgrounds for protagonists. He lost his wife oooh buhuu so sad. We've seen that thousand times already :roll: Audiences (even the ones who call themselves "cinephile") are too often easily satisfied with simple emotional backgrounds. Like:

:oops: : The movie has a good plot, visually stunning and the action is breathtaking. But the protagonist is boring. I have nothing to relate with them.
Director: add dead child/wife/husband/friend
:oops: : Wow masterpiece

I'm pretty sure Nolan broke this rule on purpose and I like that. He is evolving in storytelling starting with Dunkirk.
I have to say I understand your point and agree to a certain extent.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:39 pm
Vader182 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:34 am
Sunstep wrote:
7.6 now.

-Vader
I wonder if some of these reviews have been influenced by the whole controversy aspect surrounding Nolan and Tenet.

In any case, it shouldn’t matter. I’ve talked to people who thought it was a good film but they were mad at it due to its complexity, so they wouldn’t recommend it or give it a high rating. If we like it then that’s the important thing at the end of the day. Not saying constructive criticism isn’t important.
I'm sure somewhat, but not enough to meaningfully skew these numbers. Folks just don't connect with the movie the way they have with his other movies. Simple as that.

-Vader

I hadn't noticed this had dropped so low on imdb.
7,6 is low for a Nolan movie, and you can't bring the biased critics excuse anymore. And some people talking about sequel..
It seems that the Nolan's formula is getting people tired. It sucks, because this was his big chance at the academy since there is very little competition this year, but without the love by the general public things are even worse.

I would like him to focus next at pulling more great iconic performances too, Joker can't be his only popular powerhouse performance and he's not considered a skilled director of actors. But it’s all in the writing and this means better stories too.
Spielberg at the same point in Nolan's career (22 years into their careers) made Schindler's List, one of the most emotional and powerfully moving films ever.

A little of reinvention wouldn't hurt.

Best Nolan movie outside "The Dark knight" trilogy.

IMDB user score?! Seriously?

Lincoln wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 4:50 am
7,6 is low for a Nolan movie, and you can't bring the biased critics excuse anymore. And some people talking about sequel..
It seems that the Nolan's formula is getting people tired. It sucks, because this was his big chance at the academy since there is very little competition this year, but without the love by the general public things are even worse.

I would like him to focus next at pulling more great iconic performances too, Joker can't be his only popular powerhouse performance and he's not considered a skilled director of actors. But it’s all in the writing and this means better stories too.
Spielberg at the same point in Nolan's career (22 years into their careers) made Schindler's List, one of the most emotional and powerfully moving films ever.

Mmmmm I don’t agree with the remark "he's not considered a skilled director of actors". I think the difference is focus since these movies aren’t completely character oriented, so acting can be more limited at times but it doesn’t mean that the skill isn’t there.

Is it so important to you for him to be nominated or win Oscars? As far as I remember, they aren’t even that interested even though they really appreciate it and feel honored.

I've talked to different people and they are having problems with digesting the film due to its perceived complexity and complicated nature. I believe one movie doesn’t really show people getting tired of Nolan but just that they didn’t connect too much with it. A 7.6 in IMDb isn’t that big of a deal although I can understand that for Nolan's more recent standards is low. But there have been other circumstances surrounding this movie so we should just wait for his next project. Either way, perhaps it will be more appreciated in the future or maybe not, only time will tell.

Lincoln wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 4:50 am

Great Performances in Nolan movies that aren't the joker:
Memento:
Guy Pierce
Joey Pants
Carrie Anne Moss
Insomnia:
Robin Williams
The Prestige:
Chrisitian Bale
Huge Jackman
Rebecca Hall
Inception:
Maria Cotillard
Ken Watanabe
Dark Knight Rises:
Tom Hardy
Anne Hathaway
Interstellar:
The Matthew
Dunkirk:
Chillian Murphy
Tom Hardy
...I really like James Darcy, limited screen time
Tenet:
JOHN DAVID!
R.PATT!

WTF are you talking about...also considering the other directors in his budget level and genre camp: Michael Bay, J.j. Abrams, GDT....

I would say that Nolan's use of actors is one of his strengths...but okay, you keep thinking otherwise I guess...

Am I intentionally posting only positive reactions to spread good vibes? Maybe...