Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
stanley wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:39 pm
It's at a 71 on metacritic, and 88 on RT. If that holds, I'm fine. That seems to be in line with Inception and Interstellar.
Higher than Interstellar.

What? I think the Cobb/Mal storyline to be quite heartbreaking and full of emotion. That scene on the ledge makes me emotional every time I see it. Fischer & son with that catharsis also hits hard. Inception is far from cold. So is Interstellar.

The Prestige is too cold for me personally in the way that it treats its characters. Dunkirk? Purposefully cold which makes its more hopeful and bright moments shine and hit hard.

Vader182 wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:11 pm
For those wondering, don't expect U.S. reviews for a while. In many cities, critics won't be seeing it until the end of August and of course NY/LA press---who are very opinionated on Nolan---won't for months.

The score could go up or way down, still.

-Vader
I think this film might end up having near reviews to that of the prestige original ones. The person who said this was Nolan’s best film since the prestige probably saw it coming. And now the prestige is what it is. I feel people shouldn’t worry that much about reviews because they aren’t bad, mostly positive so far even if it’s not critical acclaim and some mixed reviews.

We have to consider the fact that some critics will probably be a bit biased because they are not happy with the movie coming out during the pandemic. Some of them expressed their discomfort with that beforehand if I remember correctly.

Oku wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:34 pm
Ruth I see your shiny purple username every time I open this thread, why you here but not saying a word what are your thoughts on these reviews SAY SOMETHING
LMAO i was trying to catch up on this thread😭

my personal thoughts so far are that the “cons” of this film seem to be things i am absolutely fine with - “weird”, “least accessible of his films”, “confusing” - not to sound like a blind stan, but given the plot (or what we assume it to be), those things are honestly making me more excited. i want a weird, complex kino from nolan

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:39 pm
German reviews are very very positive so far. Not one mixed or negative review.
A couple of quotes:

"Remember the train from Inception - Tenet is like that. Unstoppable, but with a melancholy that does not let you go" - Moviepilot Matthias Hopf

"Tenet will cause heated discussions, for weeks" - Moviepilot Patrick Reinbott

"You've never seen something like this before" - Spiegel

"Visually stunning and great concept - on the same level as Inception" - Filmstarts

"Feels like Inception, with the pressure of Dunkirk" - Hardy Zaubitzer
:thumbup:

Tarssauce wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:45 pm
What? I think the Cobb/Mal storyline to be quite heartbreaking and full of emotion. That scene on the ledge makes me emotional every time I see it. Fischer & son with that catharsis also hits hard. Inception is far from cold. So is Interstellar.

The Prestige is too cold for me personally in the way that it treats its characters. Dunkirk? Purposefully cold which makes its more hopeful and bright moments shine and hit hard.
IMO the Cobb/Mall storyline was cliche and not that interesting. Felt very generic. Interstellar and the Batman trilogy handle emotional stuff much better (even tho Inception is arguably better than Interstellar, it doesn't have the emotional punch of Interstellar).

The Prestigr is another cold one, yet audiences love it far more than critics.

Oku wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 12:34 pm
I think, from what I see, is that that kind of polarizing film is not the film that should be welcoming back audiences after a months-long shutdown.

You don't start a meal with a thick juicy steak that requires thorough chewing and digestion, you start a meal with a light, easily-digestible...you get the analogy.

It sounds like TENET would have been the perfect final-course to cap off a fun summer season, but now it unfortunately has become the steak jammed down your throat before you've even had a sip of the wine.
I disagree. Obviously Nolan didn’t make this movie with COVID in mind. But I personally believe that audiences absolutely need a bold movie that combines huge spectacle and scope but also forces them to think and analyze. A movie that requires multiple viewings and not something you’ll watch once and forget its plot minutes after you watched it.

Ruth wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:46 pm
Oku wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:34 pm
Ruth I see your shiny purple username every time I open this thread, why you here but not saying a word what are your thoughts on these reviews SAY SOMETHING
LMAO i was trying to catch up on this thread😭

my personal thoughts so far are that the “cons” of this film seem to be things i am absolutely fine with - “weird”, “least accessible of his films”, “confusing” - not to sound like a blind stan, but given the plot (or what we assume it to be), those things are honestly making me more excited. i want a weird, complex kino from nolan
100% with you! It seems like he is going for broke! Also, it seems like all Nolan movies come with some baggage.

KEM
It makes me excited to hear that this movie is melting peoples brains so much that they can’t understand it and therefore don’t like it

KEM wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:53 pm
It makes me excited to hear that this movie is melting peoples brains so much that they can’t understand it and therefore don’t like it
Fuck yeah it is!