Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:20 am
MaxContract wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:10 am
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:05 am

New York film critics tend not to like Nolan films and they haven’t seen this yet.
New York Times and Vulture have already reviewed it
Still more publishers and didn’t they haven’t seen it.
Also possible there will be multiple reviews posted by some of the outlets. The Guardian posted 2 reviews and both were included on MetaCritic.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:05 am
AgentOfChaos wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 8:26 am
bootsy wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:31 am

Is there some reason why or is this just guessing?
I think the fear is that US reviews will be flavoured with a bunch of performative social commentary ala Joker. AKA, the “Chris Nolan is trying to murder you” crowd.

I‘d be surprised if that actually happened, but we’ll see. I’m sure there will be a few gems.
New York film critics tend not to like Nolan films and they haven’t seen this yet.
A couple major NY outlets contracted critics from Europe, so their reviews have already been factored in. Otherwise, you're talking about a relatively small number against what will ultimately be hundreds of reviews. Shouldn't make a hugely material difference.

In general, I do think there's a small chance that the controversial release in the US creates some downward pressure - as it did with Joker. Particularly within more click-baity, predominantly online critical circles, which is a space that's otherwise been quite kind to Nolan in the past. I personally doubt it though. And it's not like it really matters either way.

I've seen the film, and can understand why it's somewhat divisive. I think it's a rich film that will age well (at least as much to chew on as Inception, though its buried a bit deeper), but it leaves a frazzled first impression, even for a "Nolan fan". If anything, I think some critics are giving it the benefit of the doubt.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:22 am
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:20 am
MaxContract wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:10 am

New York Times and Vulture have already reviewed it
Still more publishers and didn’t they haven’t seen it.
Also possible there will be multiple reviews posted by some of the outlets. The Guardian posted 2 reviews and both were included on MetaCritic.
That's typical for The Guardian. Less typical for NYT, Vulture, etc. Possible it'll get re-reviewed when it hits NY, but we'll see. Probably won't happen unless the critic really has a bone to pick.

There also are a number of big critics who I think will be boycotting theaters (Ty Burr from the Boston Globe wrote an article about this) due to the pandemic so we perhaps may not get anything more than a tweet from them about Tenet whenever they do see it.

Positive reviews today on RT, 81%

So Bill and Ted got its certified fresh rating and Tenet not. I don’t get why RT is doing this...

misho92 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 5:44 pm
So Bill and Ted got its certified fresh rating and Tenet not. I don’t get why RT is doing this...
Probably because Tenet will end up with a lot more reviews overall, potentially north of 500 based on other large budget projects in 2019.

It's for the best.

Joker was certified fresh (there are probably more examples) and then you know what happened when more reviews dropped.
What matters is the score anyway