Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Vader182 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:39 am
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:31 am
It’s near the prestige reception
with respect, this isn't true. User ratings for Prestige are glowing (4.1 letterboxd, 8.5 IMDB, 92% on Rotten Tomatoes) compared to Tenet's tepid reactions (3.6 letterboxed, 7.9 IMDB, 77% Rotten Tomatoes). All they share is a Cinemascore.

-Vader
Fair enough. On a user level the reception is very different but Tenet is still positive though. We have to consider the possibility of some people having a problem with the film being released during these times. I’ve read some reviews were they seem to have an issue with it but who knows.

A Borges man wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:20 am

My long winded point being: I don't want Nolan to interpret/adapt other people's books/comics, or make based on true story something.

I'm worried that he is gonna to be dissappointed in the reception and then decideds to try to prove his critics wrong and make a comedy/musical/romance and fall on his face. Making art is not made my commity or criticism...it's made by following instincts and making decisions.
I agree with you about comics and true story based although the latter would depend on the story for me if there is no other option. I don’t agree about books though. I think he could do something like that and it would be interesting, at least for me it would when I consider how the prestige turned out.

As for him doing those types of films due to disappointment, it seems very unlikely considering how Nolan has said in the past he tries not to be reactive to criticism although the man probably doesn’t ignore feedback either. Also, he wouldn’t do other genres just to show versatility unless there is passion from him for the story, which is something he said in different interviews. So hopefully that won’t happen.

Oh come on guys. Relax. I was disspointed too after seeing Tenet for the first time. I gave it a 7/10. But after 2nd and 3rd viewing, it increased to 8.5. I can understand it's not the same case for everyone. So i'm seeing 2 groups here. For one, denial is the main problem. They are finding it difficult to accept that Nolan has made an average/above average movie (For me it's between above avg and good). Just look at the GENERAL reactions of the members of this forum only. Although I have given it a solid 8.5. I would find it difficult to keep Tenet on the top 5 of Nolan filmography most of the time. So the box office, critics' and audiences' response are quite normal. Plus you have to consider the negative catalyst aka Covid 19. In the pre-covid world, I think it would make a reasonable amount of money. Not too much, not too low. Another group is trying to prove its all doom and gloom for Nolan. Well, it's not. There had to be some point when Nolan would make a critically less acclaimed or financially less successful movie. No director could have done that and no director will going to. Both of the groups are common in one aspect though. One can't accept that Nolan can make a bad film, while the other think Nolan has to make good movies always.
Chill out guys. This is not the time to panic or lose hope, that comes later (Bane voice) 😂
It would be reasonable to have this type of arguments and counter argunents if Nolan made 3 back to back critically and commercially bad movies, which tbh, Tenet is not. #Peace

Vader182 wrote:
with respect, this isn't true. User ratings for Prestige are glowing (4.1 letterboxd, 8.5 IMDB, 92% on Rotten Tomatoes) compared to Tenet's tepid reactions (3.6 letterboxed, 7.9 IMDB, 77% Rotten Tomatoes). All they share is a Cinemascore.

-Vader
Shutter Island had a low score when it was first released, now it's 8.2 on IMDB. TDKR was 8.6 at one point after release for a while, now it's 8.4. User scores fluctuate and change, they're not set in stone the way you envision. The general audience weren't raving about The Empire Strikes Back or Citizen Kane or Fantasia when they were first released. It's not the end of the world if everyone thinks this isn't a 8, 9 or 10. In fact, that ISN'T normal. Nolan receiving that kind of audience glowing rave time and time again was weird.

SCORPIO16 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 4:24 am
Oh come on guys. Relax. I was disspointed too after seeing Tenet for the first time. I gave it a 7/10. But after 2nd and 3rd viewing, it increased to 8.5. I can understand it's not the same case for everyone. So i'm seeing 2 groups here. For one, denial is the main problem. They are finding it difficult to accept that Nolan has made an average/above average movie (For me it's between above avg and good). Just look at the GENERAL reactions of the members of this forum only. Although I have given it a solid 8.5. I would find it difficult to keep Tenet on the top 5 of Nolan filmography most of the time. So the box office, critics' and audiences' response are quite normal. Plus you have to consider the negative catalyst aka Covid 19. In the pre-covid world, I think it would make a reasonable amount of money. Not too much, not too low. Another group is trying to prove its all doom and gloom for Nolan. Well, it's not. There had to be some point when Nolan would make a critically less acclaimed or financially less successful movie. No director could have done that and no director will going to. Both of the groups are common in one aspect though. One can't accept that Nolan can make a bad film, while the other think Nolan has to make good movies always.
Chill out guys. This is not the time to panic or lose hope, that comes later (Bane voice) 😂
It would be reasonable to have this type of arguments and counter argunents if Nolan made 3 back to back critically and commercially bad movies, which tbh, Tenet is not. #Peace
I guess my stress comes from the fact that I loved Tenet, saw it twice, can't stop thinking about it...To me is the logic outcome of his previous work. I want more Tenet like films...while the online community seems to think enough. But you right. I'm being a bit of stress case.

A Borges man wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:30 pm
I guess my stress comes from the fact that I loved Tenet, saw it twice, can't stop thinking about it...To me is the logic outcome of his previous work. I want more Tenet like films...while the online community seems to think enough. But you right. I'm being a bit of stress case.
At the end of the day, I think it’s about what Nolan wants to make next and not what we would want him to do. And we should just hope that he does a different approach with whatever project the man comes up with in the future while maintaining his passion and seeking to do well made (or quality) films.

Oku
September 13th, 2020, 2:50 am
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Fair enough. On a user level the reception is very different but Tenet is still positive though. We have to consider the possibility of some people having a problem with the film being released during these times. I’ve read some reviews were they seem to have an issue with it but who knows.
The Prestige is not a fair comparison in regards to user ratings, because its release pre-dates Letterboxd, Rotten Tomatoes user ratings, etc., which started counting only after The Prestige had been out for years, during which time the film's reputation had a chance to improve.

In IMDb's case, yes IMDb existed when The Prestige came out, but the Internet was smaller in 2006 + interest in his work exploded with The Dark Knight, so it's possible that the majority of ratings are from the 2008-onwards. Especially during 2008-2012, Mr. Nolan's fandom was at its peak and quite rabid, to be frank, about 'boosting' the IMDb scores of his films. :lol:

The more reliable indicators that we have of The Prestige's at-release reception is the Rotten Tomatoes critics score and the CinemaScore, both of which are in line with TENET's.

Oku wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 3:18 am
September 13th, 2020, 2:50 am
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
The Prestige is not a fair comparison in regards to user ratings, because its release pre-dates Letterboxd, Rotten Tomatoes user ratings, etc., which started counting only after The Prestige had been out for years, during which time the film's reputation had a chance to improve.

In IMDb's case, yes IMDb existed when The Prestige came out, but the Internet was smaller in 2006 + interest in his work exploded with The Dark Knight, so it's possible that the majority of ratings are from the 2008-onwards. Especially during 2008-2012, Mr. Nolan's fandom was at its peak and quite rabid, to be frank, about 'boosting' the IMDb scores of his films. :lol:

The more reliable indicators that we have of The Prestige's at-release reception is the Rotten Tomatoes critics score and the CinemaScore, both of which are in line with TENET's.
This.

LeoCobb wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 9:18 am
Portuguese critic. Positive (from someone that don't like Inception).

https://delitodeopiniao.blogs.sapo.pt/o ... n-11784413
Thank you. Overall, interesting review assuming google translate got it correctly for the most part that is. :P Tenet seems to be getting very captivating responses from people. It’s not very predictable how they will react to it which can be a good discussion in the long run.

Although this person seems a bit bias towards comparison and apparently recognizes it as well (at least according to my google translate :P). Again with the Inception and Paprika thing for example. It’s very clear in the former that it wanted to explore the possibilities of a realistic approach for dreams instead of the surreal aspect of it, so I just don’t get how that’s not clear from the get go for some people when the film implies it, not to mention Nolan talking about it in interviews. That feels more like these people wanted to see their own expectations of dreams come to life instead of what the movie was constructing. Each to their own I guess.