Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
but there's loads of movies every single year that have acclaim and huge box office success

I don't understand lol

-Vader

"good cinema that is also a box office hit" tends to be very accessible and fun movies like Mad Max Fury Road or Jurassic Park. Its not going to be conceptually complex or heady movies no matter how great they are. Blade Runner 2049 and Children of Men are great films that weren't financial hits. So I don't really see why people are expecting a dumbed down fun sci fi action movie from Nolan. Inception was an exception and even then it literally spelled everything out to a point of feeling more like an instruction manual than a film.

using fury road as an example of 'fun and accessible' for normies is certainly a choice

amazing how often people on this dumb website can only talk about the general audience by patronizing and insulting them as an excuse for why they don't like tenet or whatever

PS, maybe the general audience didn't like 2049 since it's almost 3 hours long, slow, and was a sequel to a movie not many people have seen, and it wasn't marketed well.

-Vader

Fury Road is great but its definitely a pretty straight forward and accessible movie considering its basically a 2 hour car chase action movie lol. Kinda hard to not be entertained watching it as just a surface level action movie

And yes, many general audiences like very simple minded entertainment. Thats just a fact if you look at how the top 10-15 box office movies are almost always superhero marvel movies or franchise movies that emulate that same derivative formula of storytelling (It, Fast and the Furious, etc.). Go ahead and name a movie that isn't just straight forward popcorn entertainment that did extremely well this decade besides Nolan movies lol. Even a modest hit like Source Code or something is a pretty straight forward movie that is easy to follow. If you want to talk about how movies like Your Name or Parasite were hits, they were hits for a mid budget or low-mid budget movie, but they're never going to be the kind of hit that Tenet needs to be to make back its money.

and I don't think any marketing would turn Blade Runner 2049 into a hit. What you named for it not doing well proves my point that casual audiences dont like movies that aren't just fast paced straight forward entertainment.

ps. You post on this "dumb website" more than most people. Kinda defeats the purpose of your attempt to seem like you are above the people here

Fury Road barely made a profit.

Regardless, obviously movies have different levels of accessibility and general interest, but I don't think it's cool to make value judgements about the general audience because they're not into Heneke or Kiarostami or Jarmusch or whatever.

Some folks here keep blaming the GA for their lack of literacy when it comes to Tenet's (lack of) accessibility and I think that's pretty lame.

-Vader

MaxContract wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 1:52 am
Fury Road is great but its definitely a pretty straight forward and accessible movie considering its basically a 2 hour car chase action movie lol. Kinda hard to not be entertained watching it as just a surface level action movie

And yes, many general audiences like very simple minded entertainment. Thats just a fact if you look at how the top 10-15 box office movies are almost always superhero marvel movies or franchise movies that emulate that same derivative formula of storytelling (It, Fast and the Furious, etc.). Go ahead and name a movie that isn't just straight forward popcorn entertainment that did extremely well this decade besides Nolan movies lol. Even a modest hit like Source Code or something is a pretty straight forward movie that is easy to follow. If you want to talk about how movies like Your Name or Parasite were hits, they were hits for a mid budget or low-mid budget movie, but they're never going to be the kind of hit that Tenet needs to be to make back its money.

and I don't think any marketing would turn Blade Runner 2049 into a hit. What you named for it not doing well proves my point that casual audiences dont like movies that aren't just fast paced straight forward entertainment.

ps. You post on this "dumb website" more than most people. Kinda defeats the purpose of your attempt to seem like you are above the people here
I might not completely agree with your stance on crowd pleasing movies (I think you hang on to accessible as a flaw where it really doesn't have to be, just like more complicated doesn't immediately mean better) but that final burn was solid, I'll give you that.

LelekPL wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 2:32 am
I might not completely agree with your stance on crowd pleasing movies (I think you hang on to accessible as a flaw where it really doesn't have to be, just like more complicated doesn't immediately mean better) but that final burn was solid, I'll give you that.

-Vader

I still haven't watched the film, but the general audience loving his stuff isn't a deal breaker. It's not why I'm obsessed with his movies. I very much appreciate that he takes risks 20+ years into his career, especially with the traction and popularity that he has built. Chris can make an Inception 2, Interstellar 2, or take another existing property.... But he's trying to do something different and original. Sometimes that works 90% and other times it works at 75%, and I don't mind that. That doesn't take away how much of a genius he is, in fact i think it emphasizes it even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJGORwrzljU

German film critic Wolfgang Schmitt says that he liked that the protagonist has no character development. Nowadays films tend to over-emotionalize their main characters with weak backgrounds, that we've already seen 1000 times before. Many viewers and critics demand emotional depth, but are easily satisfied with simple human tearjerker tragedies (Gravity = children died = wow Sandra Bullock plays such a great character). Schmitt basically says "If you need to be emotionally manipulated in order follow the plot & characters, it's your own misfortune."

I wouldn't agree with him on all these points. But it's a interesting take. Would audiences love the Protagonist more, if we knew that he was abused as a child or he misses his ex wife? :lol: Maybe yes. But is that even a good thing?

Vader182 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 2:18 am
Fury Road barely made a profit.

Regardless, obviously movies have different levels of accessibility and general interest, but I don't think it's cool to make value judgements about the general audience because they're not into Heneke or Kiarostami or Jarmusch or whatever.

Some folks here keep blaming the GA for their lack of literacy when it comes to Tenet's (lack of) accessibility and I think that's pretty lame.

-Vader
Correct, but I think a defensive and unreasonable response is to be expected when people are disappointed about its reception.

*Haneke