Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Oku
Ivan wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 10:03 am
For those who have seen it and are from non-english speaking countries, watching it with subtitles makes it more confusing or more easy to understand the plot?
People will say yes, subtitles make a difference, but I think that that's confirmation bias.

English speakers are scapegoating the sound design and believe that if only the movie had better audio or subtitles, then they would have been able to understand it better.

It's like, no.

The country where I am is praised for its universally high standards of education, literacy, what have you, and the people here got to watch it with subtitles.

And still, the majority of people walked out of the theater scratching their heads and going "I have no idea what I just watched. My brain shut off, melted" etc.

Even STEM students, who are cream of the crop, were confused out of their minds.

It's not the sound design (although it doesn't help); it's the plot, the pacing, and how overwhelming it all is on first viewing.

Well Mulan audience score is very low 38%. That is very close to palindrome with the critics score.

Oku wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 10:18 am
Ivan wrote:
For those who have seen it and are from non-english speaking countries, watching it with subtitles makes it more confusing or more easy to understand the plot?
People will say yes, subtitles make a difference, but I think that that's confirmation bias.

English speakers are scapegoating the sound design and believe that if only the movie had better audio or subtitles, then they would have been able to understand it better.

It's like, no.

The country where I am is praised for its universally high standards of education, literacy, what have you, and the people here got to watch it with subtitles.

And still, the majority of people walked out of the theater scratching their heads and going "I have no idea what I just watched. My brain shut off, melted" etc.

Even STEM students, who are cream of the crop, were confused out of their minds.

It's not the sound design (although it doesn't help); it's the plot, the pacing, and how overwhelming it all is on first viewing.
Overthinking is the key word here. It was very easy and enjoyable to me.

hamid1993ss wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 11:49 am
Mulan audience score is very low 38% at RT. Big failure!
Apparently there is some sort of Mulan boycot going on.

Oku wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 10:18 am
Ivan wrote:

It's like, no.

Yeah, but trying to watch what's happening onscreen AND reading the subtitles wouldn't be more confusing? like trying to do two things at the same time and losing both. Or the opposite, subtitles summarizing the dialogue which would make the plot more easy to digest.

I never had any problems with Nolan movies, but I remember watching the Architech scene in Matrix Reloaded and being :eh: :blank: for a good part of it.

what the hell happened here ..