Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on August 12, 2020
Posts: 68
Joined: August 2020

User avatar
Posts: 2280
Joined: July 2009
Location: Norway
MaxContract wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 2:03 pm
https://film.avclub.com/christopher-nol ... 1523563047

AV Club - C+

Gotta say its really annoying how "confusing" is actually a criticism nowadays
If confusing means a less enjoyable experience, how is that not reasonable? We can't expect people to see this 3 or 4 times to get every nuance. I've not read this specific review, but Tenet is not for everyone. That said, I suspect this film will age very well indeed, because' it makes a lot more sense on the second and third rodeo. Reminds me a lot of The Prestige in that way.

Posts: 68
Joined: August 2020
Robin wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 2:16 pm
MaxContract wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 2:03 pm
https://film.avclub.com/christopher-nol ... 1523563047

AV Club - C+

Gotta say its really annoying how "confusing" is actually a criticism nowadays
If confusing means a less enjoyable experience, how is that not reasonable? We can't expect people to see this 3 or 4 times to get every nuance. I've not read this specific review, but Tenet is not for everyone. That said, I suspect this film will age very well indeed, because' it makes a lot more sense on the second and third rodeo. Reminds me a lot of The Prestige in that way.
To me "confusing" is as vapid a criticism as "boring"

How can you say a movie is flawed for being confusing? You need to understand what the movie is doing before you can discuss if you think the film's storytelling is being cryptic for a legitimate reason or not (or if it even truly is confusing, because to me movies like The Prestige or Inception are not confusing films. I found a film like 2001 to be more confusing than any Nolan film tbh.). I think it is fair enough to think that once you understand something but saying something is flawed because you didn't understand it on your first watch is like if I saw some arthouse film and thought it was boring and expected people to consider that a good criticism.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 2984
Joined: January 2009
I don't want to say this as an excuse for Tenet, but I wouldn't think Memento is much easier to grasp... maybe it was only me and, well, most of my friends, but Memento demanded a number of viewings to fully get every detail. Not to mention, there's a backward and forward timeline there - complete with flashbacks! - going on parallel. I'm merely addressing the "confusing" part, not comparing the two films on any other points. To be honest, I think Memento is even more confusing than Tenet in that regard.

Posts: 4
Joined: August 2020
For me, one of the reasons why some people might not connect with the film is the fact that the role of the protagonist was too big for JDW, he couldnt really fulfill all expectations, he was outshined by RP, and in some bit also bei ATJ, so I think another lead actor or a switch between both of them (JDW<>RP) would have suited the film better. JDW clearly needs more acting lessons, he's good, has potential, but I'm afraid that this role came too early for him.

Posts: 68
Joined: August 2020
P_Leroux wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 3:21 pm
For me, one of the reasons why some people might not connect with the film is the fact that the role of the protagonist was too big for JDW, he couldnt really fulfill all expectations, he was outshined by RP, and in some bit also bei ATJ, so I think another lead actor or a switch between both of them (JDW<>RP) would have suited the film better. JDW clearly needs more acting lessons, he's good, has potential, but I'm afraid that this role came too early for him.
most reviews praised him though. He and Pattinson were called the highlights even by negative reviews.

User avatar
Posts: 1144
Joined: August 2011
Location: Poznan, Poland
I think Washington did very good job.
Outshined by RP? Nah, they both were amazing.

User avatar
Posts: 2532
Joined: December 2016
JDW was suave as hell. They both make an awesome combo.

I truly hate COVID for robbing us of awesome interviews and fun show appearances with those two - and not to forget Elizabeth as well.

Posts: 709
Joined: January 2019
Tarssauce wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 5:25 pm
JDW was suave as hell. They both make an awesome combo.

I truly hate COVID for robbing us of awesome interviews and fun show appearances with those two - and not to forget Elizabeth as well.
I also hate Covid for other reasons :lol:
Really surprised we don't get zoom with all three leads.
My hopes were two thirty minutes zoom with:
-Debicki, JDW, Pattinson, Branagh, Nolan
-Nolan, Thomas, Göransson, Hoytema, Lame (Kurland)
I still hope, but it's starting to look as a fool's hope...

User avatar
Posts: 19912
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
MaxContract wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 2:43 pm
Robin wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 2:16 pm
MaxContract wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 2:03 pm
https://film.avclub.com/christopher-nol ... 1523563047

AV Club - C+

Gotta say its really annoying how "confusing" is actually a criticism nowadays
If confusing means a less enjoyable experience, how is that not reasonable? We can't expect people to see this 3 or 4 times to get every nuance. I've not read this specific review, but Tenet is not for everyone. That said, I suspect this film will age very well indeed, because' it makes a lot more sense on the second and third rodeo. Reminds me a lot of The Prestige in that way.
To me "confusing" is as vapid a criticism as "boring"

How can you say a movie is flawed for being confusing? You need to understand what the movie is doing before you can discuss if you think the film's storytelling is being cryptic for a legitimate reason or not (or if it even truly is confusing, because to me movies like The Prestige or Inception are not confusing films. I found a film like 2001 to be more confusing than any Nolan film tbh.). I think it is fair enough to think that once you understand something but saying something is flawed because you didn't understand it on your first watch is like if I saw some arthouse film and thought it was boring and expected people to consider that a good criticism.
so if you feel confused during a movie about the basics of what's going on because you feel it did a bad job explaining itself to you, and it hurt your experience, you shouldn't write that in a review? got it


-Vader

Post Reply