Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
ninenin wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 9:26 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 9:01 pm
With every film Nolan makes i fear that he`ll have a Ryan`s daughter moment, i feel some critics are chomping at the bit for nolan to make one bad move to utterly destroy his new film, and while i know that Chris is a super inteligent person and would know to separate himself from all that, i look back at David Lean`s reaction to the criticism Ryan`s daughter had, he was devastated, its painful to look at the interview where he mentions it, i never want chris to deal with the shitty side of film critics like that ever, so i really do wonder whats next for chris after TENET (i know i havent even seen it, it hasnt even come out ffs haha) but i dont think he can go bigger or more ambitious, i just cant see it, i guess time will certainly tell.
Why are you talking like Tenet is a critical failure already? A large majority of reviews are positive. Regardless, I don't think Chris Nolan really cares what stuck-up snobbish critics might think. The man does what he loves and he will always get well deserved carte blanche from WB. I'm not worried.
at no point i said or implied it was a critical failure, im just wondering, if TENET is as big as we are hearing, as ambitious, will he try to go bigger ?? bolder ?? what could he possibly do next but surprise with "simplicity"
but you are right i need to see it first

Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 9:39 pm
ninenin wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 9:26 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 9:01 pm
With every film Nolan makes i fear that he`ll have a Ryan`s daughter moment, i feel some critics are chomping at the bit for nolan to make one bad move to utterly destroy his new film, and while i know that Chris is a super inteligent person and would know to separate himself from all that, i look back at David Lean`s reaction to the criticism Ryan`s daughter had, he was devastated, its painful to look at the interview where he mentions it, i never want chris to deal with the shitty side of film critics like that ever, so i really do wonder whats next for chris after TENET (i know i havent even seen it, it hasnt even come out ffs haha) but i dont think he can go bigger or more ambitious, i just cant see it, i guess time will certainly tell.
Why are you talking like Tenet is a critical failure already? A large majority of reviews are positive. Regardless, I don't think Chris Nolan really cares what stuck-up snobbish critics might think. The man does what he loves and he will always get well deserved carte blanche from WB. I'm not worried.
at no point i said or implied it was a critical failure, im just wondering, if TENET is as big as we are hearing, as ambitious, will he try to go bigger ?? bolder ?? what could he possibly do next but surprise with "simplicity"
but you are right i need to see it first
In my opinion, I don’t care about how big or small he could possibly go next as long as the guy keeps making quality films with care and passion overall. Visually and on the writing level. Like he once said “You’ve got to put everything into the one movie and just try and make a great movie because you may not get this chance again.” if he keeps that mindset, I’m good. Because some of these people after reaching some level they stop caring and I hope that doesn’t happen to him which so far doesn’t seem like it will.

The Sun (Jamie East)'s review caption - THE MASTERSTROKE : Christopher Nolan’s Tenet is a bewildering assault on the senses – but it’s a must-see

and its sorted as a rotten review :twothumbsup:

Down to 80% with 40 reviews

I hope we can get some positive reviews soon.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 11:14 pm
Seriously...who cares about reviews? This is Nolan, he won't disappoint. What matters is your opinion and experience.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 11:14 pm
Are you being sarcastic? There are positive reviews. And even then, it’s up to you.

Several thoughts:

1)
I've read many of these reviews and the most spoiler-ish/intriguing thing I've read so far is from the IndieWire review when Mike McCahill says that
"Anyone ready to obsess over a doodad on a backpack as they did over the spinning top of “Inception” can cling to the illusion of Nolan as the movie messiah."
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/tenet ... 234581454/
That just proves that in true Nolan style, every single little detail is relevant and we were right to speculate on that in the prologue thread.

-----

2) I'm worried about the sound mixing. This is a common complaint that many reviewers share. TDKR had issues with this. This could frustrate people like us; even the biggest Nolan fan doesn't want to miss dialogue!

------

3) It's interesting to read how the reviews contrast so much regarding the complexity of the plot. Some say it's quite a simple story and there's too much expositional dialogue made solely to explain this to the audience. Some seem to say that the plot remains confounding and muddled despite all of this dialogue.

------

4) Barry Hertz's review in the Globe & Mail worries me the most despite not being the most negative review when he says:
Listen: So very much of Tenet does not make sense. Not in a “You have to watch it two or three times to get it” kind of way. It is complete ridiculousness, full stop. Just one example: We’re told late in the game that anyone who undergoes inversion – that is, whose body moves backward in the flow of time after they hop inside a mysterious giant centrifuge – must wear an oxygen mask because their lungs cannot handle the inverted air. Okay, whatever, fine, yes. But then one character spends a large amount of their inverted time breathing free and clear. If you were frustrated by Inception’s fuzzy rules (why isn’t the third level of Cobb’s dream affected by the atmosphere of the second?) then Tenet’s playbook will lead to you to fruitlessly shout at the heavens, asking why hast Christopher Nolan forsaken thou.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/fi ... t-its-one/
I'll be watching out specifically for that.

------
Clowmount wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 10:40 pm
Prologue is 90% the same. There are extra shots added, and some of the cutting is different. The music is the same, except extended with the extra shots. The scene feels a lot less choppy in the final movie
Last edited by Friendless_at_Dusk on August 21st, 2020, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HERE WE GO!!!!

EDIT: WOWOWOW THAT WAS AMAZING!!! So much new footage!

Wrong place, sorry
Last edited by geozou1 on August 21st, 2020, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Friendless_at_Dusk wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 11:22 pm
Several thoughts:

1)
I've read many of these reviews and the most spoiler-ish/intriguing thing I've read so far is from the IndieWire review when Mike McCahill says that
"Anyone ready to obsess over a doodad on a backpack as they did over the spinning top of “Inception” can cling to the illusion of Nolan as the movie messiah."
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/tenet ... 234581454/
That just proves that in true Nolan style, every single little detail is relevant and we were right to speculate on that in the prologue thread.

-----

2) I'm worried about the sound mixing. This is a common complaint that many reviewers share. TDKR had issues with this. This could frustrate people like us; even the biggest Nolan fan doesn't want to miss dialogue!

------

3) It's interesting to read how the reviews contrast so much regarding the complexity of the plot. Some say it's quite a simple story and there's too much expositional dialogue made solely to explain this to the audience. Some seem to say that the plot remains confounding and muddled despite all of this dialogue.

------

4) Barry Hertz's review in the Globe & Mail worries me the most despite not being the most negative review when he says:
Listen: So very much of Tenet does not make sense. Not in a “You have to watch it two or three times to get it” kind of way. It is complete ridiculousness, full stop. Just one example: We’re told late in the game that anyone who undergoes inversion – that is, whose body moves backward in the flow of time after they hop inside a mysterious giant centrifuge – must wear an oxygen mask because their lungs cannot handle the inverted air. Okay, whatever, fine, yes. But then one character spends a large amount of their inverted time breathing free and clear. If you were frustrated by Inception’s fuzzy rules (why isn’t the third level of Cobb’s dream affected by the atmosphere of the second?) then Tenet’s playbook will lead to you to fruitlessly shout at the heavens, asking why hast Christopher Nolan forsaken thou.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/fi ... t-its-one/
I'll be watching out specifically for that.

------
Clowmount wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 10:40 pm
Prologue is 90% the same. There are extra shots added, and some of the cutting is different. The music is the same, except extended with the extra shots. The scene feels a lot less choppy in the final movie
So you would be basing part of your judgment on those reviews? Better just wait and decide for yourself. They have been positive for the most part. All of his films have negative reviews. Nothing to be surprised about