Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
5/5 in The Times, a rarity for any film...!

★★★★★
“Does your head hurt yet?” That line is delivered by suave British agent Neil (a scene-stealing Robert Pattinson) late into the twisty-turny proceedings of this globetrotting, jaw-dropping and delightfully convoluted big-screen blockbuster. Sorry, TV, your brief moment in the lockdown limelight is over — cinema, finally, has returned.

The much-discussed Oslo airport sequence – for which Nolan crashed a real 747 – may be dazzling, but it’s an amuse-bouche compared to what comes afterwards. When Nolan finally plays the ace up his sleeve and fully unleashes ‘inversion’, it’s pure magic. At a time when the work of VFX wizards can make (almost) anything possible on screen, Nolan’s commitment to shooting practically achieves an effect akin to first seeing the T-Rex stomp onscreen in Jurassic Park – it’s a film that shows you the impossible in a way that’s indistinguishable from reality.
This snippet from TotalFilm :gonf:

Oku wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 12:34 pm
Tarssauce wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 12:29 pm
The fan in me definitely hoped for much more positive reactions across the board but I’m not bothered. I’d rather see him taking chances, giving us something bold that could be polarizing.
I think, from what I see, is that that kind of polarizing film is not the film that should be welcoming back audiences after a months-long shutdown.

You don't start a meal with a thick juicy steak that requires thorough chewing and digestion, you start a meal with a light, easily-digestible...you get the analogy.

It sounds like TENET would have been the perfect final-course to cap off a fun summer season, but now it unfortunately has become the steak jammed down your throat before you've even had a sip of the wine.
hairer wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 12:32 pm
Oku wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 12:26 pm
Oh shit, 10/10 from Total Film, and more importantly from Mr. (Robbie) Collins!

OK, now my hype is cautiously rising again, but the sadness is still lingering inside >.<
Rotten score now at 85%. Nearing inception's 86%
Don't give me hope :lol:
It needs a higher average thou.

Interstellar has an average rating of 7.07 and it's the best film I've ever seen.

I like reading the different opinions from the reviews. Tenet is going to be epic.

mhynson27 wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 4:17 am
Flutterby wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 3:53 am
I'm just hoping for a scene as powerful as Inception's
Fischer finding the wind mill toy and looking up to his dad's dead face
:gonf:
Gets me every time.
for me its the..
..flashback scene where he finds his wifes safe and her secret emblem.

or in interstellar when sees his daughter for the first time from the other side of the book shelf
Last edited by danevito on August 21st, 2020, 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Critics breathlessly running over to admit how they can't comprehend yet another Nolan film = great news! :lol:

The Prestige is the closest reception to this, at least so far. Worth noting that IS his most confusing and demands a rewatch to “get”

but nolan wasn’t “Nolan” in 2006 so it’s not a 1:1 comparison.

Now at 87%, its average rating has jumped up from 7/10 to 7.3. I can see the avg score settling at 7.5 to 7.6, not that far behind Inception and above interstellar and The Prestige scores

I'm still excited, but all the stuff about it lacking emotion has me slightly disappointed.

I blame all the people who mocked Interstellar's go for broke sentimentality.

Yeah the stark difference with this and Interstellar is that even the positive reviews from big reviewers like LAT or NYT have some reservations in their praise. It was a lot easier to find Interstellar raves than for this one. However, maybe this will be one of those films that resonates more on multiple viewings.