Appearances of the Cast and Crew

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
intersteIIarx wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Rob Pattinson full interview in Milliyet Sanat.

Q: What do you wanna say about your character?
Rob: My character is a colleague of John David Washington’s character and he is English. That’s all I’m gonna say.

Q: Let’s talk about Christopher Nolan. Do you like his movies?
Rob: Of course. I guess everybody likes his movies. I think he is one of the very rare directors who constantly makes this divine and challenging mainstream movies. His movies are always genuine and surprising, you are not presented something easy to digest. And every single movie of him is different than the previous one. For example, I remember the time Dunkirk came out. It was such a master stroke… A masterpiece. Then “Tenet” came. This is an extraordinary movie which harbors engineering & vision with every aspect of it.

Q: What was it like to collaborate with Nolan for the first time for you?
Rob: I’m not gonna lie, almost every actor wants to work with him. So I was excited too. Watching him work in a big production like Tenet is simply fascinating, there are so many variances that… But Chris is dominating everything every moment and he is balanced. Nothing stresses him, nothing shakes. I’d never seen anything like this in my life. It was a very hard movie to shoot in many respects yet I remember the shoot as a very beautiful period.

Q: You were a part of a very assertive cast…
Rob: Yes, he worked with an incredible cast and a complex script and every actor had the same mindset. I hadn’t met John David, it was a chance to get along with him because most scenes of mine were with him. We worked very closely for a couple of months together. I guess it became one of the closest friendships I have ever built during a movie.

Q: There are both moving forward and backward among the stunt works of the movie, right? Possibly, training period for it was interesting. Can you talk about it a little?
Rob: It was hard because it was not like a real fight. I mean, you are doing the exaggerated and unnatural moves and then you are doing the opposite, it was quite intimidating. Let alone moving unlike your natural tendencies, your character is kind of an expert. Then you look at the stunt doubles, despite the fact that they were trained for weeks for it, at first they also found it hard.

Q: Why do you think this movie should be watched in theaters?
Rob: Because it is a very assertive and a complex movie. First of all, no one makes movies like Chris and this movie is as if “Nolan is on steroids” because he uses the new technology in IMAX cams. These cameras were specifically designed for this movie. I can’t imagine what it will be like to watch it on the big screen. When you consider the fact that people weren’t able to go to cinema for months, it is amazing that they await this movie impatiently. I think it shows what things are doable in cinema. Chris, with all his power, pushes the limits of what can be done with zero special effect. It is a very intense experience and it is not possible to experience it fully without watching it on the biggest screen you could find.
This was great, thanks

We worked very closely for a couple of months together. I guess it became one of the closest friendships I have ever built during a movie.
we must stan

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 10:31 pm
We worked very closely for a couple of months together. I guess it became one of the closest friendships I have ever built during a movie.
we must stan
goddamn I'm upset Coronavirus ruined the Tenet press tour. I just hope we get more zoom interviews with the entire cast.

Yeah that's a freaking shame. Tenet press tour should be very fun. Damn.

new JDW interview

LWL is one of my favorite film magazines. I remember its Dunkirk feature is very impressive! Looking forward to this one :gonf:

Can't wait!

What Debicki can reveal is that she’s playing the estranged wife of Branagh’s villainous character. She was thrilled to work with Nolan, and the movie is “the kind of experience you want to have when you go to a cinema.” It was filmed in seven countries and ranks as the longest shoot she’s ever been on, dwarfing that of the six-part “The Night Manager” series. And though the budget tops $200 million, Debicki says “every penny goes on the screen.”

“Chris builds everything; he constructs all the imagery piece by piece,” she marvels. “He has this ability to make a film that involves complex thinking and yet make it entertaining and accessible. It’s almost got the feel of an indie set because of the precision — Chris works very fast; time and energy are spent on all the right things there. There is nothing superfluous. It was humbling and collaborative and definitely made me stronger as an actor and probably as a person.”

Ironically, Debicki was almost too good an actor for Nolan to consider at first — having seen her work in “Widows,” he assumed she was American. “I was looking for a very, very British characterization, an English Rose kind of character,” Nolan reveals. So when Emma Thomas, Nolan’s wife and producing partner, suggested Debicki, she had to inform him the actor wasn’t from the States. “Elizabeth’s one of these great actors who, when they’re brought to your attention, you realize you’ve seen them in a lot of things but not realized it’s the same person,” he says. Nolan went back and rewatched her work in “Widows” and “The Great Gatsby,” along with “The Night Manager,” and was struck by her range. “For somebody as striking and interesting to look at as she is, the idea she has a chameleon-like ability speaks volumes to her skills as an actor.”

Debicki insisted on auditioning. “I certainly wasn’t asking,” Nolan says. “There’s a certain level of actor who, as a director, you don’t necessarily want to ask them. But she wanted to. I think it was important to her to know that she could do what I was looking for. And she came in and just blew everybody away. In my mind, she was only confirming what I already knew. What she did with it is far beyond my hopes even.”

While he would never give away anything about the plot (we tried), Nolan will say that he believes Debicki pulled off an incredibly challenging role. “It’s a very difficult character because she has to be extremely vulnerable and put upon, and yet there has to be this strength, this depth, these reserves that come forward,” he allows. “I think that’s very difficult for an actor to pull off without resorting to the unrealistic or resting on the simplistic version of the character arc. She finds a way to play vulnerability and strength at the same time, which is very human and very real.”

For her part, Debicki refuses to confirm or deny fan theories about “Tenet.” She does get a kick out of some of the speculation and hints that ultimately, “people are going to be very, very surprised.”
https://variety.com/2020/film/features/ ... 234701427/

oooo, nice little interview. Thanks collins :gonf:

Collins wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 12:51 pm
What Debicki can reveal is that she’s playing the estranged wife of Branagh’s villainous character. She was thrilled to work with Nolan, and the movie is “the kind of experience you want to have when you go to a cinema.” It was filmed in seven countries and ranks as the longest shoot she’s ever been on, dwarfing that of the six-part “The Night Manager” series. And though the budget tops $200 million, Debicki says “every penny goes on the screen.”

“Chris builds everything; he constructs all the imagery piece by piece,” she marvels. “He has this ability to make a film that involves complex thinking and yet make it entertaining and accessible. It’s almost got the feel of an indie set because of the precision — Chris works very fast; time and energy are spent on all the right things there. There is nothing superfluous. It was humbling and collaborative and definitely made me stronger as an actor and probably as a person.”

Ironically, Debicki was almost too good an actor for Nolan to consider at first — having seen her work in “Widows,” he assumed she was American. “I was looking for a very, very British characterization, an English Rose kind of character,” Nolan reveals. So when Emma Thomas, Nolan’s wife and producing partner, suggested Debicki, she had to inform him the actor wasn’t from the States. “Elizabeth’s one of these great actors who, when they’re brought to your attention, you realize you’ve seen them in a lot of things but not realized it’s the same person,” he says. Nolan went back and rewatched her work in “Widows” and “The Great Gatsby,” along with “The Night Manager,” and was struck by her range. “For somebody as striking and interesting to look at as she is, the idea she has a chameleon-like ability speaks volumes to her skills as an actor.”

Debicki insisted on auditioning. “I certainly wasn’t asking,” Nolan says. “There’s a certain level of actor who, as a director, you don’t necessarily want to ask them. But she wanted to. I think it was important to her to know that she could do what I was looking for. And she came in and just blew everybody away. In my mind, she was only confirming what I already knew. What she did with it is far beyond my hopes even.”

While he would never give away anything about the plot (we tried), Nolan will say that he believes Debicki pulled off an incredibly challenging role. “It’s a very difficult character because she has to be extremely vulnerable and put upon, and yet there has to be this strength, this depth, these reserves that come forward,” he allows. “I think that’s very difficult for an actor to pull off without resorting to the unrealistic or resting on the simplistic version of the character arc. She finds a way to play vulnerability and strength at the same time, which is very human and very real.”

For her part, Debicki refuses to confirm or deny fan theories about “Tenet.” She does get a kick out of some of the speculation and hints that ultimately, “people are going to be very, very surprised.”
https://variety.com/2020/film/features/ ... 234701427/
thanks