[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
KEM
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:43 am
Vader182 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:37 am
so ask yourself, if this theory is right, what does Tenet gain from Nolan not making it part of the actual text of Tenet? Would he really leave something like that to little more than trivia?

-Vader
That's what I was wondering. That's why I'm bringing it up. Why didn't he? Haha.

But there are way too many clues that bring it to being the case. Small, stupid things like Pattinson's hair, then bigger things like his palindromic name (though I've never seen Maximillian spelled that certain way so it's a little more of a stretch), etc.

People are asking why he would spend ten years inverting? Uhm, the fucking dude saved the world, that's why. And he cared enough to save his mother when all she wanted was to have her son. Clearly he feels grateful and indebted to him.
The spelling of the name with an e instead of an a isn’t uncommon, seems to be more popular in Western European countries, particularly France

One thing I don't understand how come the
VIP not fall asleep / faint with all the gas injected inside Opera?

blackColumn wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:34 am
One thing I don't understand how come the
VIP not fall asleep / faint with all the gas injected inside Opera?
He was in VIP chamber at first which was glass sealed so he must have been safe there. And when he and JDW jumped down till then gas must have dispersed.

just read an article that said everything that happens, happens simultaneously, now my brain is truly fried?! I still can’t understand when, in terms of time flow, the Opera scene happens. My brain hurts. Love it :D

The main reason I'm not a fan of the Neil/Max fan theory is because Debicki seemed genuinely shocked when an interviewer brought it up. Wouldn't Nolan tell her (and Pattinson) if this was meant to be the case? She said she has no theories about her son and that "my son is my son."

marshallmurphy wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 9:47 am
The main reason I'm not a fan of the Neil/Max fan theory is because Debicki seemed genuinely shocked when an interviewer brought it up. Wouldn't Nolan tell her (and Pattinson) if this was meant to be the case? She said she has no theories about her son and that "my son is my son."
1) Could be part of the act, though I doubt it.

2) Nolan knows the answer to whether or not Cobb is dreaming at the end, but won't tell any of the actors. Hell, I bet he won't even tell his wife. He'll take some secrets to the grave with him.

I just wish this wasn't one of those secrets.

This movie has a genuine problem, like many Nolan films, of feeling a little distant/cold toward characters on an emotional level. It's harder this time around since our main character is essentially without any sort of character of his own (he doesn't drink on the job, he cracks a few jokes, he cares about the little people... that's it).

We all mention that Kat is the emotional crux of the story, but as excited for her well-being as we are, it's less about keeping her alive and more about bringing her to her son. But how much do we care about that? I certainly didn't. I cared about Cobb getting home to his children because they had some semblance of character, even the very little that Cobb would talk about them and we heard them on the phone. Max had nothing, other then Kat was going to take him somewhere.

This would have been a more emotional connection if we get a revelation by the end that Neil is Max, that's all. Now we care about the kid, and we care about the final shot as a payoff. I just think it's that important, personally.

marshallmurphy wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 9:47 am
Do you have a link to that interview? I would love to watch it!

This is embarrassing but...
Can someone explain the opera scene I've seen a thousand times? What is everyone trying to accomplish? Mercs and agents. How was Sator involved?

Mulholland-Jr wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:47 pm
This is embarrassing but...
Can someone explain the opera scene I've seen a thousand times? What is everyone trying to accomplish? How was Sator involved?
The well-dressed American in the VIP box has possession of 'plutonium-241' - which is in fact the last piece of the algorithm!

John David Washington was posing as a mercenary working for some private Russian/Ukranian outfit to kidnap the well-dressed American. But the truth is, John David is a CIA agent who is trying to prevent those private russians from obtaining the plutonium. So JDW proceeds with the mission and saved the VIP and he gets tortured by the private Russians because he did not hand over the VIP.

It is unclear whether the private Russians that tortured JDW are Sator's man, BUT Sator's man was involved because he wanted the last piece of the algorithm. The CIA team that JDW was working with? They got captured by Sator's people and got tortured. But they did not hand over the algorithm.

There's another sub-story plot that is not elaborated in the movie at all. The Ukranian SWAT team while fighting the terrorist, actually wants to kill all the regular folks in the opera house - presumably to exaggerate the impact of the terrorist attack to increase the political capital of the government. This is obviously inspired by the real life terrorist attack: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_th ... age_crisis

John David risked his life trying to prevent the real Ukranian SWAT from killing the people in the cheap seats. He almost failed because one of the real SWAT discovered what he was trying to do...but Neil saved him with a inverted bullet.

Any other questions?

Nope. Thanks a bunch!