[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Janky Sam wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 10:28 pm
One thing still bothering me is the scene where Kat
is left alone in the Audi during the car chase.

It says in the screenplay that the Audi continues to accelerate after inverted-Sator and his henchman climb into the Mercedes. How is the Audi moving forward (from inverted Sator's perspective) when Kat is alone inside before Sator gets in the vehicle?

I can sort of accept how bullet holes and wounds caused by inverted people just sort of materialize from a non-inverted perspective before the bullet sucks back into the gun because cause and effect is sort of weird in this world, but the situation with Audi moving by itself just really doesn't make sense to me. Someone had to have been stepping on the gas regardless of whether it's from an inverted or non-inverted perspective.
I don't have the answer (and apparently neither does the screenplay), but perhaps their inverted selves disengaged the cruise-control button upon entering, which means a non-inverted person (such as Kat) would see them engaging the CC upon exiting.

This is really weird though, I agree.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 10:36 pm
Janky Sam wrote:

It says in the screenplay that the Audi continues to accelerate after inverted-Sator and his henchman climb into the Mercedes. How is the Audi moving forward (from inverted Sator's perspective) when Kat is alone inside before Sator gets in the vehicle?

I can sort of accept how bullet holes and wounds caused by inverted people just sort of materialize from a non-inverted perspective before the bullet sucks back into the gun because cause and effect is sort of weird in this world, but the situation with Audi moving by itself just really doesn't make sense to me. Someone had to have been stepping on the gas regardless of whether it's from an inverted or non-inverted perspective.
I don't have the answer (and apparently neither does the screenplay), but perhaps their inverted selves disengaged the cruise-control button upon entering, which means a non-inverted person (such as Kat) would see them engaging the CC upon exiting.

If they disengaged the cruise control from Sator's inverted perspective, it's still not clear how the Audi is set into motion in the first place. JDW stops the Audi by putting his hand on the brake, but from an inverted perspective, he takes his hand off the brake, and it just starts magically accelerating forward with no one in the driver's seat. Obviously in the case of the Saab, JDW has to get into the car, start it, and step on the gas to make it go forward from his inverted perspective, so you'd think the Audi would have to work the same way.

Janky Sam wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 3:36 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 10:36 pm
Janky Sam wrote:

If they disengaged the cruise control from Sator's inverted perspective, it's still not clear how the Audi is set into motion in the first place. JDW stops the Audi by putting his hand on the brake, but from an inverted perspective, he takes his hand off the brake, and it just starts magically accelerating forward with no one in the driver's seat. Obviously in the case of the Saab, JDW has to get into the car, start it, and step on the gas to make it go forward from his inverted perspective, so you'd think the Audi would have to work the same way.
there's a switch in time happening when inverted sator and his driver exits the vehicle. Because the car isn't inverted, we have to assume. Then as long as the car is driven or in contact with inverted persons it will be traveling back in time with them. Including Kat who isn't inverted but still goes backwards with them (yes this is very strange) But as soon as they leave her alone there is no reason for the car to be inverted anymore and the acceleration of the car is simply continuing the motion backwards. (presumably the car was put into neutral just before they exited the car)

Look at 13:38. Interesting.

Hot take(?):

The prologue is brilliant but it’s so chaotic and confusing. Even more than any of the inversion-related mind-fuckery.

So many parties and sides and very little was explained.
-So the CIA infiltrated a group of Ukrainians who want to capture an American VIP.
This group is informed about a terror attack on the opera house - probably in on the whole thing.
-They aren’t a part of the real SWATS hence the fake badges.
-The CIA’s real mission is to get the Plutonium
-Everything goes as planned but real SWATS plant bombs in aims to take out the American VIP.
-Half of the CIA team escapes with the Plutonium and two operatives (Protag and fake VIP) go back to the Ukrainians.
-The three CIA operatives get captured and killed by “Private Russians” (probably Sator’s men).
-The Plutonium is taken by the Ukrainian government.
-The Protagonist and fake VIP are tortured and found out as CIA operatives.
-The Protagonist takes the pill.

Now which part is a test? Who is working with who? Why would the real SWATS kill all these innocent people? Are the SWATS, the terrorists and the “private” Ukrainians working together? At what extent is Sator involved in all of this?
So many questions. Yes, it’s an incredibly cool sequence but WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? Mind you, I’ve seen the film 4 times and I’ve seen the Prologue countless times and I’m still lost and it’s obvious he did this on purpose.

Tarssauce wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:28 pm
Hot take(?):

The prologue is brilliant but it’s so chaotic and confusing. Even more than any of the inversion-related mind-fuckery.

-So the CIA infiltrated a group of Ukrainians who want to capture an American VIP.
This group is informed about a terror attack on the opera house - probably in on the whole thing.
-Everything goes as planned but real SWATS plant bombs in aims to take out the American VIP.
-Half of the CIA team escapes with the Plutonium and two operatives (Protag and fake VIP) go back to the Ukrainians.
-The three CIA operatives get captured and killed by “Private Russians” (probably Sator’s men).

Now which part is a test? Who is working with who? Why would the real SWATS kill all these innocent people? Are the SWATS, the terrorists and the “private” Ukrainians working together? At what extent is Sator involved in all of this?
So many questions. Yes, it’s an incredibly cool sequence but WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? Mind you, I’ve seen the film 4 times and I’ve seen the Prologue countless times and I’m still lost and it’s obvious he did this on purpose.
Just the pill is a test. I'm sure that every agent has been holding a fake pill forever without knwing, and the first to take it before talking will basically be placed into Tenet.

Tarssauce wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:28 pm
Hot take(?):

just about everyone who worked on the movie says they can barely follow the simple logistics of what's happening so if you feel lost don't feel too bad about it

one thing to remember is:
future protagonist "has" to make a "test" for present-day protagonist since that already happened to him and he already knows the outcome. So while it obviously doesn't make sense to have a "test' in general since a million things have to happen exactly right for the "test' to take place, future protagonist already knows they will work out exactly that way. But of course you don't know that until the end.

-Vader

and thats why the prologue is actually the climax of the film lol, then it makes sense how it is shot because by the end of the film you can fully wrap your head around it and it makes sense

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:31 pm
Just the pill is a test. I'm sure that every agent has been holding a fake pill forever without knwing, and the first to take it before talking will basically be placed into Tenet.
That means they were constantly monitoring every single CIA agent who was given the fake pill. What if they ended up in Sator's hands and they got their balls shoved into their windpipes? They got to him in time and they knew he took the pill. It is implied that someone betrayed the CIA team so maybe someone was working for the Ukrainians and gave them the Plutonium and then Sator found the team killed them off.
Plutonium 241. Sator tried to lift the only loose 241 from under a CIA team at the opera siege in Kiev. He got the team, but not the 241.
Vader182 wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 9:03 pm
just about everyone who worked on the movie says they can barely follow the simple logistics of what's happening so if you feel lost don't feel too bad about it

one thing to remember is:
future protagonist "has" to make a "test" for present-day protagonist since that already happened to him and he already knows the outcome. So while it obviously doesn't make sense to have a "test' in general since a million things have to happen exactly right for the "test' to take place, future protagonist already knows they will work out exactly that way. But of course you don't know that until the end.

-Vader
Good point.
Actually what truly made question the logic of the prologue is that someone asked a question somewhere saying how did the Protagonist take the piece of the algorithm from Stalsk-12 to the opera house and two things popped in my head:
1. It's not clear how the CIA got to the plutonium. 2. The person believes that the Protagonists places it there after the events in Stalsk-12 and kind of continuing the loop. But it's not logical that they would just run into something like that. I think a deal must have happened off camera. The VIP "establishes contact" and that kind of sets everything off.
To be honest, I'm not necessarily bothered by it. I think it's fun to think about all of this but it's interesting that the most confusing part (to me at least) has nothing to do with Inversion but with straight up espionage.

Why didn't Nolan write Neil dying in the opera scene instead of the eagle mountain scene?

This could have actually fit in and would have been a interesting arc for the protagonist wondering why someone would save his life.