[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Tarssauce wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 7:41 am
ANONIMNIQ wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 5:21 am
I think this is something too dangerous and risky to do in a fight, I don't know.
I have another question...
Why when they inverted Kat to save her, just can't wait few days in front of inversion machine. Why they choose to go to the airport in Oslo?
This is a common question
As Ives explains in the film, the turnstile in Tallinn is owned by Sator and he lost control of it when the Tenet cavalry raided the place. If they go back in time, Sator and his men are in control if the place so it would be very risky and could compromise the whole mission - if Sator knows about Tenet or The Protagonist too soon.

Since they’ll have to be inverted for an entire week, they remembered the airplane crash in Oslo which would give them an opportunity to go in and out unnoticed becsuse of all the chaos. Also, they can just hop on a shipping container that came from Oslo to Tallinn and get back their without any attention.
How they communicate normal with each other in the shipping container on the way to Oslo since they are inverted? They speak backwards but understands themselves normally?

For the car scene
Where does the audi go after Sator lights TP's car on fire?

ANONIMNIQ wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 8:18 am
How they communicate normal with each other in the shipping container on the way to Oslo since they are inverted? They speak backwards but understands themselves normally?
They are all inverted so they can communicate in a normal way. If someone non-inverted tries to talk to them they’d hear it in reverse.
speedy117 wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 8:39 am

For the car scene
Where does the audi go after Sator lights TP's car on fire?
Probably to the freeport.

Is it possible someone who is inverted to kill his past version? or since he is inverted, that means he is alive in the future and he don't die in the past, so there is no way to kill himself in the past? I don't know if this makes any sense. I really want to knew what will happened if someone killed his past self.

ANONIMNIQ wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 10:22 am
Is it possible someone who is inverted to kill his past version? or since he is inverted, that means he is alive in the future and he don't die in the past, so there is no way to kill himself in the past? I don't know if this makes any sense. I really want to knew what will happened if someone killed his past self.
what you're asking is "the grandfather paradox" and it's just as Neil talks about. future protagonist couldn't just give up and let his past self win, he knows he has to fight bc his previous self is trying to kill him. it's a way of expressing fate.

Sky007 wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 11:47 pm
ANONIMNIQ wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 10:22 am
what you're asking is "the grandfather paradox" and it's just as Neil talks about. future protagonist couldn't just give up and let his past self win, he knows he has to fight bc his previous self is trying to kill him. it's a way of expressing fate.
yep and this is essentially why all the questionable plot turns in the film "make sense" in the context of what you're describing.
IE, future protagonist already knows these events have already happened. For example, the "test" Tenet sends the protagonist on in the opening is rubbish. A million things have to happen just the right way to create the specific circumstances for the protagonist to be able to take the fake suicide pill. But since the protagonist already knows it'll all unfold that way, he can create the test he knows he already made.
I wish Tenet had a lot more clarity on these points and that the characters in the movie recognized and expressed this to the audience, since it's more than a bit muddled.

-Vader

I just love that Nolan toned down the exposition and told the story in a very kinetic way. I mean sure, those short dialogue scenes where they talk about what inverted is and how it reacts with its surroundings is imo enough. Would I have loved to see a lengthy discussion between characters about all its intricacies or even more dialogue about it? Sure, but I think it works just as well if not better for Nolan to show us how it works and tell his story than explaining everything in detail. I just really love the concept and I think the film has got some incredible set pieces. And yes, the second time I saw it the film was better because you look at it from two other characters POVs and I think as Nolan basically has been doing since the start of his career, that his films have multiple layers which not necessarily warrant another view but they enrich the film that way.

Nomis wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 7:38 am
I just love that Nolan toned down the exposition and told the story in a very kinetic way. I mean sure, those short dialogue scenes where they talk about what inverted is and how it reacts with its surroundings is imo enough. Would I have loved to see a lengthy discussion between characters about all its intricacies or even more dialogue about it? Sure, but I think it works just as well if not better for Nolan to show us how it works and tell his story than explaining everything in detail. I just really love the concept and I think the film has got some incredible set pieces. And yes, the second time I saw it the film was better because you look at it from two other characters POVs and I think as Nolan basically has been doing since the start of his career, that his films have multiple layers which not necessarily warrant another view but they enrich the film that way.
Tenet is Nolan's talkiest movie since Insomnia so I'm not sure that's true. Most of the movie is endless dialogue to set up set pieces ...then more endless dialogue to explain why the set pieces didn't go as expected. Take into consideration most set pieces only last a few minutes too.

The only major digression from Inception or Interstellar is that Nolan doesn't repeat himself. You don't get Ariadne in the third act re-explaining the rules for the 5th time. Part of the "ride" of the movie is that he constantly throws a ton at you and expects you to keep up, but it's still a movie with endless nets of exposition.

-Vader

I think its because things are not explained again in the third act that make me feel that way. I also meant the exposition when it comes to the concept of inverted objects, not insomuch as explaining what they're going to do and why said thing went wrong. You're right that there's quite a lot of dialogue but it always felt like it was steering the film forwards (for lack of a better word lol).

Forgive me if this has already been covered in this thread, but I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out with it.

Has anyone been able to work out a consistent, coherent logic to the action scenes, like the car chase sequence? It's Nolan, so I want to believe there is a logic, but I haven't been able to piece it together yet.

I'm fearful that the established principle of being able to sort of "force pull" certain objects that are inverted kind of negates there needing to be a logic behind the interaction of forward time elements and inverse time elements.

Like, I was trying to figure out why it was so easy to make the exchanges of the orange container and the piece of the algorithm from car-to-car during the chase, and then I wondered if it was all just a matter of Sator holding up his hand and making it come to him once The Protagonist was willing to let it go.

If there is a more complex logic to those action sequences, though, it would help make the movie for me. Otherwise, I'm fearing it's just more like action eye candy than anything else.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide on this!