[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 12:44 pm
speedy117 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 12:00 pm
Lincoln wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 3:22 pm
^ I clicked on the spoiler alert tag unintentionally, I hate myself. At this point I'm just going to download the movie meh , it's being impossible not to see things especially the endings I think
So the first thing I said after watching the trailer turned out to be true (about Debicki's son) :facepalm:
I'm sorry but WHY are you in this thread then? No one here is talking about the weather, this is a spoiler discussion thread. I want to feel bad for you but come on, you did this to yourself.

Edit: I just realized this may sound a bit harsh but I just can't fathom the fact that you are trying to avoid spoilers while snooping around in a spoiler thread.
Just in speaking for him, sometimes my brain is on autopilot where I get an e-mail notification that an NF post was made (from something I never chose to subscribe to but because I popped my head in the thread once then it automatically did it for me), click the link to go in, and without thinking I'm just clicking a spoiler tag. Again, this is likely happening when I'm also keying in on something on TV and my mind is clicking elsewhere on the computer. Again though, I'm not sorry for his behavior haha, I'm just sorry that it happened to him.

Anyway, I'm wondering what others' opinions are on the matter regarding what I had stated. I think it really does add weight and change the tune if cinematically canonized.
When I first heard the Neil is Max theory I didn't believe it, but after reading about it more, it makes sense, but also doesn't make sense at the same. He would have to invert himself for like 10+ years just to do that. And like Vader said, Neil said the Protagonist's future is in the past, so I really don't know what to believe. Too much conflicting evidence.

Vader182 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 5:41 pm
the biggest argument against that theory imo is simply
Neil says "There's a future in your past" implying The Protagonist recruits Neil in the past, not the future. Max is clearly in The Protagonist's present, so...

Also, for Max=Neil to work, Max would either need to be inverted for like half his life for the age gap to make sense.

Not to mention if Kat is Neil's mom, he's fairly cavalier about trying to save her from dying.

-Vader
My thinking for this is that Neil already knows that she will live so maybe he doesn't want to appear to uppity about it and reveal his true "nature". He still very much did nurse her.

As for your other point about Neil saying "You have a future in the past" to The Protagonist. Yeah that is the 1 thing that makes me still hesitant on the theory. Maybe there's more than 1 way to interpret that comment though?

speedy117 wrote:
I'm sorry but WHY are you in this thread then? No one here is talking about the weather, this is a spoiler discussion thread. I want to feel bad for you but come on, you did this to yourself.

Edit: I just realized this may sound a bit harsh but I just can't fathom the fact that you are trying to avoid spoilers while snooping around in a spoiler thread.
I can enter where I please. "you did this to yourself" thank you mr obvious, because that's not what I said.
You're so annoying I already replied to the person involved. It's not the end of the world for me and i'm not going to stop using internet for a movie. Next

Lincoln wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 6:05 pm
speedy117 wrote:

I can enter where I please. "you did this to yourself" thank you mr obvious, because that's not what I said.
You're so annoying I already replied to the person involved. It's not the end of the world for me and i'm not going to stop using internet for a movie. Next
never said to stop using the internet but go off i guess

Coop Cooper wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Vader182 wrote:
Neil says "There's a future in your past" implying The Protagonist recruits Neil in the past, not the future. Max is clearly in The Protagonist's present, so...

Also, for Max=Neil to work, Max would either need to be inverted for like half his life for the age gap to make sense.

Not to mention if Kat is Neil's mom, he's fairly cavalier about trying to save her from dying.

-Vader
My thinking for this is that Neil already knows that she will live so maybe he doesn't want to appear to uppity about it and reveal his true "nature". He still very much did nurse her.

As for your other point about Neil saying "You have a future in the past" to The Protagonist. Yeah that is the 1 thing that makes me still hesitant on the theory. Maybe there's more than 1 way to interpret that comment though?
For Niel, it's his past. Because right after that he says "years ago for me, years from now for you". So maybe the whole "you have a future in the past", he means his past, not the protags. I guess it comes down to how you interpret that comment.

Yeah, thanks for all the responses.
I definitely catch a snag when he starts monologuing during that moment because I can't process it all at once then. I definitely feel he's talking in terms of how the future ahead for Protag will be with Max growing into Neil, though. At least, that's what enhances the movie in my book.

Clowmount wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:17 am
Coop Cooper wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader

For Niel, it's his past. Because right after that he says "years ago for me, years from now for you". So maybe the whole "you have a future in the past", he means his past, not the protags. I guess it comes down to how you interpret that comment.
nah.
"you have a future in the past." That statement wouldn't make much sense if the only past he was talking about was his own.
look it's a neat theory and all, but even if it's true all it means is there's a massive character revelation to which nolan gives zero dramatic payoff.

nolan loves hiding clues, like the wedding band in Inception or how Cobb never could spin his top in the bathroom in mumbai (so the whole movie could be a dream from that moment forward...), but these are details that don't completely rewrite the dramatic stakes and arcs of the characters.

so ask yourself, if this theory is right, what does Tenet gain from Nolan not making it part of the actual text of Tenet? Would he really leave something like that to little more than trivia?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:37 am
so ask yourself, if this theory is right, what does Tenet gain from Nolan not making it part of the actual text of Tenet? Would he really leave something like that to little more than trivia?

-Vader
That's what I was wondering. That's why I'm bringing it up. Why didn't he? Haha.

But there are way too many clues that bring it to being the case. Small, stupid things like Pattinson's hair, then bigger things like his palindromic name (though I've never seen Maximillian spelled that certain way so it's a little more of a stretch), etc.

People are asking why he would spend ten years inverting? Uhm, the fucking dude saved the world, that's why. And he cared enough to save his mother when all she wanted was to have her son. Clearly he feels grateful and indebted to him.

Sorry for cutting in.

https://goggler.my/tenet-ending-explained/

I haven't read it yet (looks like a decent summarize) but that
"Neal, also Neil" pic has drawn my attention :o
Last edited by CASE on September 13th, 2020, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.