[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Could this in a way be Prequel to
Interstellar? Would you think or like it the same people from the future who are inverting also the ones created the wormhole?
The inversion but also reminded me of Cooper's hand shake with Brand in the wormhole. He used elements or ideas of Memento, Interstellar, and Dunkirk to create the structure and the plot.

Good explanation.

Last edited by Nomis on September 11th, 2020, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: don't double post

are these your videos lol

-Vader

So I thought long and hard about this last night, and...

Let's just assume hypothetically that Nolan intentionally wrote Neil to be an adult version of Max—that the tie-ins are more than a coincidence (which at this stage I actually believe to be true). While I love the thought of things being a little hint to people speculating whether he is and perhaps even subtly "leaving it up to the audience," I'm now more in the mindset that it would have been better off for this film if this was an outright end movie reveal.

I already think the film is strengthened if we assume this to be true, so imagine what everyone would feel about this film if we were made aware and knew that this was true. I don't know if Tenet had enough of a payoff at the end with the conversation between Protag and Neil saying that he recruits him later down the line and such, but I think there would be a greater emotional tie-in with Kat's son (given that he and Kat are the last shot of the film) if we were somehow informed that he in fact becomes Neil.

I mean I think it's already come to the point that when I start showing this movie to others at home, at the end when I ask: "Did you get it?" I'm going to start prodding them with the idea that "Max is Neil! He will sacrifice himself for Protag in return for Protag saving his mother." That hits much deeper and carries more weight. It simply makes it a better film, by at least a point. Even audiences who walk out bamboozled would have a greater appreciation for Neil's character and motivation.

Then again, this is all assuming that this wasn't by complete coincidence. I hope I can somehow change the last voiceover in the movie to somehow provide that reveal, even by a single line. Maybe Pattinson connecting back the lines: "Would you take a child hostage? What about a woman?" Of course, in a palindromic state, he should begin with woman this time and end with child, with Max/Neil. Something about him doing the opposite of taking them hostage, to boot: saving them when no one else would care enough about the fact.

^ I clicked on the spoiler alert tag unintentionally, I hate myself. At this point I'm just going to download the movie meh , it's being impossible not to see things especially the endings I think
So the first thing I said after watching the trailer turned out to be true (about Debicki's son) :facepalm:
Last edited by Lincoln on September 11th, 2020, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 10:37 am

Let's just assume hypothetically that Nolan intentionally wrote Neil to be an adult version of Max—that the tie-ins are more than a coincidence (which at this stage I actually believe to be true). While I love the thought of things being a little hint to people speculating whether he is and perhaps even subtly "leaving it up to the audience," I'm now more in the mindset that it would have been better off for this film if this was an outright end movie reveal.

I already think the film is strengthened if we assume this to be true, so imagine what everyone would feel about this film if we were made aware and knew that this was true. I don't know if Tenet had enough of a payoff at the end with the conversation between Protag and Neil saying that he recruits him later down the line and such, but I think there would be a greater emotional tie-in with Kat's son (given that he and Kat are the last shot of the film) if we were somehow informed that he in fact becomes Neil.

I mean I think it's already come to the point that when I start showing this movie to others at home, at the end when I ask: "Did you get it?" I'm going to start prodding them with the idea that "Max is Neil! He will sacrifice himself for Protag in return for Protag saving his mother." That hits much deeper and carries more weight. It simply makes it a better film, by at least a point. Even audiences who walk out bamboozled would have a greater appreciation for Neil's character and motivation.

Then again, this is all assuming that this wasn't by complete coincidence. I hope I can somehow change the last voiceover in the movie to somehow provide that reveal, even by a single line. Maybe Pattinson connecting back the lines: "Would you take a child hostage? What about a woman?" Of course, in a palindromic state, he should begin with woman this time and end with child, with Max/Neil. Something about him doing the opposite of taking them hostage, to boot: saving them when no one else would care enough about the fact.
I said the exact same thing. Just imagine montage shots of Max only seeing the back of his head as he grows up. Going School, collage learning physics and you finally get to see him turn around and he is a young neil.

Cheese but still would hit.

Lincoln wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 3:22 pm
^ I clicked on the spoiler alert tag unintentionally, I hate myself. At this point I'm just going to download the movie meh , it's being impossible not to see things especially the endings I think
So the first thing I said after watching the trailer turned out to be true (about Debicki's son) :facepalm:
Dude, I am so fucking sorry! I feel a bit even responsible even though I know that I shouldn't, but I'm just as sorry for your situation. You can only watch a film for the first time once, and I know you wanted to go into it as blind as you set yourself up to be (which shoot you saw more than I did since I didn't watch any trailers).

If it helps anything, I don't really think it spoils the film. Given that it's something that's not actually written into the film and is purely speculative, you can only get so many things out of that.

However, that's part of the point... I kind of which it was written into the film!

Pr0creation wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 3:23 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 10:37 am

I said the exact same thing. Just imagine montage shots of Max only seeing the back of his head as he grows up. Going School, collage learning physics and you finally get to see him turn around and he is a young neil.

Cheese but still would hit.
Haha yeah pretty cheesy. I'm not sure if I'd go to those extremes, but I definitely think it could have been more of a push for anybody watching the movie to have connected the dots on their own. Right now it's an up-for-grabs kind of speculation that might not even be true, but I think this would have been a gratifying reward for audience members for sure (and helps on a repeat viewing).

Like, they literally could've just done this:

As Neil is between Protag and the helicopter:

Neil: "I'll see you at the beginning!" [walks toward helicopter]
Protag: [processing] "...... Max?"

[Neil continues walking]

Boom, and then we still have how the rest of it plays out.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 3:44 pm
Dude, I am so fucking sorry! I feel a bit even responsible even though I know that I shouldn't, but I'm just as sorry for your situation. You can only watch a film for the first time once, and I know you wanted to go into it as blind as you set yourself up to be (which shoot you saw more than I did since I didn't watch any trailers).

If it helps anything, I don't really think it spoils the film. Given that it's something that's not actually written into the film and is purely speculative, you can only get so many things out of that.

However, that's part of the point... I kind of which it was written into the film!
No no don't worry. It was totally my fault, my mind was elsewhere. In fact you've been careful not to reveal anything here, unlike on twitter..
I'd already figured it because of some fanarts that I saw, but I was in denial so this just was a confirmation. Still sucks..

Funny that was this obvious
Lincoln wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:47 am
The kid and Robert have similar hair. And no, I'm not trying to say that he's going to be Elizabeth's son (it makes zero sense too, knowing what we know now)
I think you're looking too much into it.

if you're trying to avoid spoilers and you're in the spoiler discussion thread there is nobody on earth more to blame than yourself for coming here, let alone if you clicked spoiler tags lol

dude if you want to avoid seeing stuff, get off the internet

-Vader