[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
SINCEPTION wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Oh ok, bc I saw the symbol
above a door at the airport right before they enter into the entropy machine. So I thought it’s name of the machine.
Yeah, I could see how you'd think that.
Kat does mention it to TP. I like how Nolan used the SATOR square throughout the film. I found out what the machines are called even before watching the film - thanks to the production notes.

I have a very important question.
Do the future antagonists still open up the dead drop, expecting the algorithm, but instead get a Volkov skeleton?

Tarssauce wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 8:06 pm
SINCEPTION wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Oh ok, bc I saw the symbol
above a door at the airport right before they enter into the entropy machine. So I thought it’s name of the machine.
Yeah, I could see how you'd think that.
Kat does mention it to TP. I like how Nolan used the SATOR square throughout the film. I found out what the machines are called even before watching the film - thanks to the production notes.
Production notes? Is that from the book or is that public info online?

speedy117 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 8:19 pm
Production notes? Is that from the book or is that public info online?
No, I think it's what the press were given to come up with questions (maybe). It's not from the book. It was posted here somewhere around the time the final trailer was released.

Edit: found it http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/wxte54q ... jkox8uwfnt

Vader182 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 7:01 pm
speedy117 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 6:55 pm
Question
So in a temporal pincer, does red team only receive intel from blue team, or are they both receiving intel from each other?
red team only gets info from blue team, as blue team inverts to before the mission briefing with Ives takes place to feed intel for the third act.

I wish we saw more back and forth between blue team setting something up and red team paying it off.

-Vader
I think I would have liked that too. Some people would say that might play too cliche but I would have liked it.

honestly, I suggest this mainly to give shape to the third act as a blow by blow of events rather than 35 minutes of "they fight" where you can barely identify who is shooting whom

I love it visually, to be clear, but many who are still on the train by the third act hop off once they hit that set piece. it needed 1.) clearer stakes 2.) an actual "shape" to the action.

I hope this sequence improves on rewatches in particular.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 9:54 pm
honestly, I suggest this mainly to give shape to the third act as a blow by blow of events rather than 35 minutes of "they fight" where you can barely identify who is shooting whom

I love it visually, to be clear, but many who are still on the train by the third act hop off once they hit that set piece. it needed 1.) clearer stakes 2.) an actual "shape" to the action.

-Vader
There are certainly parts of it which do improve. Like
Neil's entire role in the battle. His interaction with himself is interesting.
The fact that characters
Fire their weapons randomly and then sprint out of the frame/into a cut
doesn't add much to the scene. The obvious visuals of time inversion will always be spectacular though.

Vader182 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 7:01 pm
speedy117 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 6:55 pm
Question
So in a temporal pincer, does red team only receive intel from blue team, or are they both receiving intel from each other?
red team only gets info from blue team, as blue team inverts to before the mission briefing with Ives takes place to feed intel for the third act.

I wish we saw more back and forth between blue team setting something up and red team paying it off.

-Vader
So is this right or wrong?

BrandX wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 10:11 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 9:54 pm

-Vader
There are certainly parts of it which do improve. Like
Neil's entire role in the battle. His interaction with himself is interesting.
The fact that characters
Fire their weapons randomly and then sprint out of the frame/into a cut
doesn't add much to the scene. The obvious visuals of time inversion will always be spectacular though.
To me this is one of Nolan's most fascinating set pieces...to me it's like Dunkirk in minature. The first time I saw it I couldn't understand shit....But, the second time everything clicked into place and the time marks make it understandable.
The obvious one is the simultanious blowing up of the building.
The very beginning sets up alot. Like blue team and RP interacting with the RP in the jeep. The fact that the wide shot of blue team coming in on top shows the jeep and RP with the rope is some great details, there through out.
To me though, the helicopter comes in early, and then signals the bomb placement. Then we see it happen later, it's a visual marker to orient us. It's my faviorite set piece in the movie; but, I don't think the second viewing is gonna help with the firing and sprinting...there are some amazing wide shots in this section...the little moments, the rubble throwing JDW up, the person being reverse blown into the wall. All the reverse explosions, the helicopter shots. Also, the blue container be sealed and secret at the beginning is such a narly way of setting up the stakes.

second viewing of the finale is much clearer and more thrilling. He's doing Star Wars with it. Wish there was more shown with villains firing back, but it's obviously something specific he's pulling from Dunkirk, as mentioned. I think it's a lil closer in quality to TDKR's finale, although significantly more complex and assured. Neil's actions are so well told and great on rewatch. It'll be fun to go through shot by shot on blu ray.