[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Demoph wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 5:40 pm
DHOPW42 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 5:37 pm
Anyone thought that JDW's line...
"Farewell, Sir Michael" was moving?? I felt that was Nolan's farewell to Sir Michael Caine...
Same. Surprised nobody talks about it. It seems pretty straightforward.
Same. Was absolutely a goodbye.

hotsauce32 wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 3:31 pm
Has anyone noticed this shot in last month's trailer? At 0:25, there's a shot of the guy with a mask in an Audi on the docks. Behind that car is a partial concrete barrier, and there are random wisps of smoke.

I've been wondering where the hell that random smoke was coming from. At first I thought maybe it's cold out, and it's just the exhaust from the vehicle, but I think it's too far away. Was he getting shot at? I don't think so, he wasn't reacting at all.

I'm thinking that smoke effect has to have been placed there for some reason.

Is there some significance to smoke? It's deliberately being used as some visual motif. Could be just some cool minor imagery, the movement of smoke may help the audience determine if we're going backwards or forwards. Or even something as major as
signifying when we're seeing an "inverted" character's POV.
In the latest TV spot,
as JDW walks onto the docks, it's also looking a little smoky. I thought, maybe just the wind kicking up some dust? But look towards the back of the shot near the Saab, the smoke is white and thicker, so not entirely consistent with a little dust storm.

The line in the new TV spot, "Things will feel strange" is coupled with the shot of JDW stepping onto that smoky dock.

Maybe once you go through the demon door and are inverted, the world is different, and you perceive your surroundings as smoky or hazy. As mentioned in "New Rockstars" trailer analysis video, "particles behave differently on the other side".

There's also the original teaser where the smoke again seems to be a purposeful motif.

Technically the smoke seems to be on both sides of the glass there, and JDW isn't wearing the mask in that shot. So it doesn't quite fit my "smoky surroundings = inversion" theory.

I could argue though that it seems to have been filmed just for the teaser, so maybe they didn't need it to be 100% consistent with the logic of the movie yet. It's possibly only meant to be symbolic; Warner Bros just wanted to market JDW and for audiences to see his face properly, so they omitted the mask.

An oddity - from what we've seen of the "What the hell happened here?" fight scene, the smoke seems to be frozen between the two panes of glass, not moving at all :wtf:
I could be overthinking it. Feel free to debunk. But there has to be some reason for the smoke behind the Audi at the dock, so start with that. Is there some hidden vent? Any one who's familiar with docks know?

Post edited to fix a timestamp
Okay, adding a couple more GIFs from the final trailer:
So my initial theory doesn't quite work, there's some smoke, but it doesn't look like they're inverted. But there has to be some significance to smoke, right?

I just would love to know from someone who's seen the film, without spoilers, am I onto something here? Is smoke an important part of the movie, or at least play some intentional role visually? Or am I reading too far into these shots? :lol:

A simple yes or no (in spoiler tag, just as a courtesy for others) will suffice :D

No

hotsauce32 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 7:45 pm
hotsauce32 wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 3:31 pm
Has anyone noticed this shot in last month's trailer? At 0:25, there's a shot of the guy with a mask in an Audi on the docks. Behind that car is a partial concrete barrier, and there are random wisps of smoke.

I've been wondering where the hell that random smoke was coming from. At first I thought maybe it's cold out, and it's just the exhaust from the vehicle, but I think it's too far away. Was he getting shot at? I don't think so, he wasn't reacting at all.

I'm thinking that smoke effect has to have been placed there for some reason.

Is there some significance to smoke? It's deliberately being used as some visual motif. Could be just some cool minor imagery, the movement of smoke may help the audience determine if we're going backwards or forwards. Or even something as major as
signifying when we're seeing an "inverted" character's POV.
In the latest TV spot,
as JDW walks onto the docks, it's also looking a little smoky. I thought, maybe just the wind kicking up some dust? But look towards the back of the shot near the Saab, the smoke is white and thicker, so not entirely consistent with a little dust storm.

The line in the new TV spot, "Things will feel strange" is coupled with the shot of JDW stepping onto that smoky dock.

Maybe once you go through the demon door and are inverted, the world is different, and you perceive your surroundings as smoky or hazy. As mentioned in "New Rockstars" trailer analysis video, "particles behave differently on the other side".

There's also the original teaser where the smoke again seems to be a purposeful motif.

Technically the smoke seems to be on both sides of the glass there, and JDW isn't wearing the mask in that shot. So it doesn't quite fit my "smoky surroundings = inversion" theory.

I could argue though that it seems to have been filmed just for the teaser, so maybe they didn't need it to be 100% consistent with the logic of the movie yet. It's possibly only meant to be symbolic; Warner Bros just wanted to market JDW and for audiences to see his face properly, so they omitted the mask.

An oddity - from what we've seen of the "What the hell happened here?" fight scene, the smoke seems to be frozen between the two panes of glass, not moving at all :wtf:
I could be overthinking it. Feel free to debunk. But there has to be some reason for the smoke behind the Audi at the dock, so start with that. Is there some hidden vent? Any one who's familiar with docks know?

Post edited to fix a timestamp
Okay, adding a couple more GIFs from the final trailer:
So my initial theory doesn't quite work, there's some smoke, but it doesn't look like they're inverted. But there has to be some significance to smoke, right?

I just would love to know from someone who's seen the film, without spoilers, am I onto something here? Is smoke an important part of the movie, or at least play some intentional role visually? Or am I reading too far into these shots? :lol:

A simple yes or no (in spoiler tag, just as a courtesy for others) will suffice :D
no
but tonnnnnnnnes of other visuals do. ;)

When we see objects being able to float up into a person's hand and gun's able to catch bullets, that should mean the world is able to support both forward physics and backwards physics stably at the same time. This kinda implies physics is broken in the real world because things can fall upwards etc.

I feel like with this rule, inverted humans should still be able to breathe air. Because the broken physics of the world should be able to support your inverted perspective. Breathing should work forwards and backwards just as objects falling can work forwards and backwards.

This is kind of a rule the movie chooses to swap between when it wants.

Edit: Thought I'd go over the examples...

Forwards physics:
-the puddle stepped in
-breathing
-hypothermia explosion
Forwards and backwards:
-bullet floating upwards
-gold bars floating upwards
-guns shot in reverse
-bullets hitting objects in reverse
-the top of the building exploding in the final act

Another nice moment that you are unlikely to catch at your first viewing:
Neil knowing exactly what the Protagonist likes to drink. It's very cleverly disguised as a "secret agent" moment, meaning that Neil or the organization made a lot of research on the Protagonist. But, of course, we realize later this was not the case.

How do we feel about this? It’s a French name though but it checks out. Damn it, Nolan. What is the trurh?

Tarssauce wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 8:04 am
How do we feel about this? It’s a French name though but it checks out. Damn it, Nolan. What is the trurh?
Yup guesses this an hour in. Has to be true.

Anyone else feel like (ending spoilers)
this set up potential sequels/a whole franchise far more than Nolan's other films, even Interstellar? I would honestly love to see further Protagonist/Neil adventures and even what is the deal with that future where Inversion was made. Thought the world building was really great here.

antovolk wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Anyone else feel like (ending spoilers)
this set up potential sequels/a whole franchise far more than Nolan's other films, even Interstellar? I would honestly love to see further Protagonist/Neil adventures and even what is the deal with that future where Inversion was made. Thought the world building was really great here.
I agree with you...
This is maybe his only film where I would love to see more, and I wouldn't mind a sequel. All the talks about an Inception sequel the past few years left me uninterested, but Neil and the Prot worked so great together. I think it would be wild to announce a sequel immediately after this one, and I fear if Nolan does a different project next, the potential for a sequel just diminishes. But who knows... I'm sure that I'd love to see them some more, and my only option now is to re-watch the film and immerse myself in this world again :D