[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Pr0creation wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 5:48 pm
You know what would have gave the film more emotional weight at the end?..
A flash forward/back (depending on how you look at it) of JDW and RP as best friends. Might have been a bit on the nose but sometimes that's what you need to drive an emotional note home
It would be extremely on the nose... it would be borderline stupid to show that - I mean, thinking of audiences as stupid.

also still confused about:
why inverted gas mask Protag would fire a gun at the forward traveling Protag's head 4 times in the art free-port. I understand that he's fighting himself to defend himself...but inverted gas mask Protag obviously knows he's fighting himself, so he obviously wouldn't try and kill the forward traveling version of him. I'm assuming he was just trying to miss on purpose and empty the rounds in the gun so that neither of them could use it?

ninenin wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:24 am
For anyone who has seen the movie, is the following a plot hole or am I misunderstanding something?:
The blue soldier that the Protagonist finds dead on the other side of the gate is actually an inverted Neil. You see what happened to him when Sator's henchman (who is guarding the algorithm) goes to shoot the Protagonist but Neil intervenes and steps in front of the bullet while inverted. Of course from the Protagonist's view point you see him come back to life then get unshot and then unlock the gate. Doesn't this mean then that the gate should already be unlocked when the Protagonist gets there and finds Neil's body?
I don't think it's a plot hole, however I was confused at the last act, so who knows.
Neil's POV: he comes out of the machine, runs to the gate, CLOSES it, then gets shot, RIP.

jetsdude wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:34 pm
also still confused about:
why inverted gas mask Protag would fire a gun at the forward traveling Protag's head 4 times in the art free-port. I understand that he's fighting himself to defend himself...but inverted gas mask Protag obviously knows he's fighting himself, so he obviously wouldn't try and kill the forward traveling version of him. I'm assuming he was just trying to miss on purpose and empty the rounds in the gun so that neither of them could use it?
Could be that he was intentionally missing, but also trying to empty the clip so that he doesn't end up getting shot by his own gun

quervo wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:47 pm
ninenin wrote:
For anyone who has seen the movie, is the following a plot hole or am I misunderstanding something?:
The blue soldier that the Protagonist finds dead on the other side of the gate is actually an inverted Neil. You see what happened to him when Sator's henchman (who is guarding the algorithm) goes to shoot the Protagonist but Neil intervenes and steps in front of the bullet while inverted. Of course from the Protagonist's view point you see him come back to life then get unshot and then unlock the gate. Doesn't this mean then that the gate should already be unlocked when the Protagonist gets there and finds Neil's body?
I don't think it's a plot hole, however I was confused at the last act, so who knows.
Neil's POV: he comes out of the machine, runs to the gate, CLOSES it, then gets shot, RIP.
So that would mean that
the gate starts off being open and Neil closes it? Why would he do that when he could just leave it open for the Protagonist to enter?

ninenin wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 1:07 pm
quervo wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:47 pm
ninenin wrote:
So that would mean that
the gate starts off being open and Neil closes it? Why would he do that when he could just leave it open for the Protagonist to enter?
Oh, shit. :D
Yeah, now I see it as a plot hole, but there must be an explanation. When Neil touches the keypad, the gate is open, when he lifts his hand, it's closed.

Is my memory really bad or is the line “There are people in the future who need us. Who need Tenet” is not in the movie? It’s probably in. Damn it I need to see it for a fourth time soon.

Pr0creation wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 5:48 pm
You know what would have gave the film more emotional weight at the end?..
A flash forward/back (depending on how you look at it) of JDW and RP as best friends. Might have been a bit on the nose but sometimes that's what you need to drive an emotional note home
I somewhat agree, but not necessarily through flashbacks/flashforwards.
I love the idea of them, by the end, being in different moments in time of their friendship, it's emotional and profound. So I also wish Nolan had explored that more throughout the film.

Anyone thought that JDW's line...
"Farewell, Sir Michael" was moving?? I felt that was Nolan's farewell to Sir Michael Caine...

DHOPW42 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 5:37 pm
Anyone thought that JDW's line...
"Farewell, Sir Michael" was moving?? I felt that was Nolan's farewell to Sir Michael Caine...
Same. Surprised nobody talks about it. It seems pretty straightforward.