[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
From the UK, saw the film earlier today, I understand 90% of it (the story itself is relatively straightforward) but I’m struggling with one element I’ve yet to find an explanation for...
Who built the chambers? Are we to to assume someone from the future was inverted and built them in the past/our present? If so how did they come back and build them?

One of many things playing on my mind....
What exactly happened with Pattison character? He’s dead it seems, but when was that?

Rjleah79 wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 3:48 pm
From the UK, saw the film earlier today, I understand 90% of it (the story itself is relatively straightforward) but I’m struggling with one element I’ve yet to find an explanation for...
Who built the chambers? Are we to to assume someone from the future was inverted and built them in the past/our present? If so how did they come back and build them?
it is implied that Sator built the chamber to navigate back and forth
Last edited by Zimmeredge on August 26th, 2020, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intonestellar wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 5:09 pm
What exactly happened with Pattison character? He’s dead it seems, but when was that?
At the end, when Pattinson use his own turnstile, we do not see him go through both doors, back and forth. Pattinson explained that if you can see yourself ente and exist a vault then it means you are alive. HVH convey the visual idea that Pattinson dies as we only see the reflexion of him going through one of the doors. Considering he is moving backward (blue team) he enters to move forward meaning he has no future.

Zimmeredge wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 5:31 pm
Intonestellar wrote:
At the end, when Pattinson use his own turnstile, we do not see him go through both doors, back and forth. Pattinson explained that if you can see yourself ente and exist a vault then it means you are alive. HVH convey the visual idea that Pattinson dies as we only see the reflexion of him going through one of the doors. Considering he is moving backward (blue team) he enters to move forward meaning he has no future.
Thx v much, you are far smarter than I am but could I just ask...
What do you mean by turnstile and both doors? Sorry it’s prob a silly Q, my brain was fried by this point.

Anything else?
Sator - reversed Rotas (the company name)
Opera - reversed Arepo (the Spanish painter)

Intonestellar wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 5:43 pm
Zimmeredge wrote:
Intonestellar wrote:
What do you mean by turnstile and both doors? Sorry it’s prob a silly Q, my brain was fried by this point.
I think at one point the indian women, Pryia, explains to Protagonist that if Sator's mens have the ability to navigate both back and forth is because he built vaults. Those vaults have sliding doors in which you either enter or go out. It works very much like a turnstile in a subway : you enter on one side and exit on the other.
Later on, Neil explains Protagonist how it works: if you see yourself enter and exit, it means you are alive. If you don't, then it means you are going to die eventually.

Considering the amount of informations, twists and action going on, People might criticize the fact that Neil knew all along and that he could have helped the audience/Protagonist understand how the vault works but it would be against the laws of the inversion and also against the underlying message of the feature: You don't know/understand how things will happen, you feel/experience events. Because no matter what, it won't be what you expect/anticipate.

Zimmeredge wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Intonestellar wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 5:43 pm
Zimmeredge wrote:

I think at one point the indian women, Pryia, explains to Protagonist that if Sator's mens have the ability to navigate both back and forth is because he built vaults. Those vaults have sliding doors in which you either enter or go out. It works very much like a turnstile in a subway : you enter on one side and exit on the other.
Later on, Neil explains Protagonist how it works: if you see yourself enter and exit, it means you are alive. If you don't, then it means you are going to die eventually.

Considering the amount of informations, twists and action going on, People might criticize the fact that Neil knew all along and that he could have helped the audience/Protagonist understand how the vault works but it would be against the laws of the inversion and also against the underlying message of the feature: You don't know/understand how things will happen, you feel/experience events. Because no matter what, it won't be what you expect/anticipate.
Thanks very much

A couple more Q...
How does the corpse (Neil?!) come back to life to fight that guy? Also just after that, Neil lifts them out, how? Also I may have misheard but at the end did Neil say the job was only half done or something similar, what did he mean by that?

What the name of Kats son? Could he be Neil that JDW will get to learn and then send back in time?

There’s a point in the film when I just gave up trying to understand what’s going on and just enjoyed it emotionally - so there’s a lot I need to pay attention to but one thing I can’t stop thinking about.
So Kat has seen her future self jump off the yacht and Sator has vanished by then. if he was killed then how the hell did he come back?
Interstellar^2