[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Friendless_at_Dusk wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 3:45 am
rotas wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 3:21 am
rotas wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 3:07 pm
I don't see how that guy in the Audi at the port looks like Yuri...
Curious then, who do you think sitting-in-Audi-guy looks like?
Branagh
I feel like you are trolling me. The guy looks nothing like Branagh.

I'm not 100% sure it's Yuri but I'm 100% sure it's not Branagh!
Could be it be ATJ?
That character in the car seems likely to be one of
Sator's henchman (or even Sator's right-hand man).
What do other people think?
[/quote]
Yeah probably one of his accomplices bc we know he ends up in that same audi during the car chase sequence. not trying to troll you, only making speculations my guy :wave:

rotas wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 3:47 am

Could be it be ATJ?

In a few hours I will know. :think:

danevito wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 1:33 pm
rotas wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 3:47 am

Could be it be ATJ?

In a few hours I will know. :think:
From my research, I think we can assume that ATJ's character 'Ives' is going to be a good guy helping JDW, but who knows. I'm going to guess that the guy in the Audi is just one of Sator's men.

OK so I really need some explanations for some of the plot :lol: I'm going again tonight, but I would be 100% grateful if someone could explain these.
- What is exactly Sator's plan and motivations and what are his connections with the future people ? From what I understood, in the far future earth has been devastated by something (is it from ecological reasons like climate change ? or was there a nuclear WW3 ? Are the debris Poesy shows to JDW at the beginning coming backwards from this war ? Also, at that time (?), a scientist invents the reversion of entropy. This person creates the algorithm that can destroys the world (as a weapon, because there's a war raging on ? like nuclear weapon in WW2 ?). But she thinks it is too dangerous, so she sends the pieces of the algorithm backwards in time to hide them ? Why not just destroying them to make sure it's never used ? Now there are some other future people who wants to use the algorithm to destroy the world (dunno why though, maybe because the world is so shitty now so they want to end it ?). But since the pieces are going now backwards in time they have to use Sator now to discover them ?? How do they know Sator ? Also, Sator says he gets them from reversed time capsules. So is someone really sending them willingly to him ? Why ??

- When does JDW recruits Pattinson exactly ? In the past, or in the future ? From when is coming the reversed Pattinson who saves him in the opera and sacrifices himself at the end of the movie ? Why does Pattinson say to JDW that they will never see each other again ?

- Why does JDW kill the Indian woman and when ??

- Is the opera scene happening at the same time as the final scene ? I think Caine says to JDW that there was an explosion in the Soviet city exactly when JDW is in the opera in Kiev.

- How does exactly the reversed wounds work ? If someone punches you while reversed, you get a bruise before he hits you ? If he shoots at you, does the bullet appears in you before he shoots it ?? So are wounded weeks before the fight ?

One additional question/point

Why didn't
Kat / Elizabeth need to wear the mask when she goes back to "Vietnam/yatch scene " at the end of the movie .. isn't she in inverted time?
morlock84 wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:28 am
OK so I really need some explanations for some of the plot :lol: I'm going again tonight, but I would be 100% grateful if someone could explain these.
- What is exactly Sator's plan and motivations and what are his connections with the future people ? From what I understood, in the far future earth has been devastated by something (is it from ecological reasons like climate change ? or was there a nuclear WW3 ? Are the debris Poesy shows to JDW at the beginning coming backwards from this war ? Also, at that time (?), a scientist invents the reversion of entropy. This person creates the algorithm that can destroys the world (as a weapon, because there's a war raging on ? like nuclear weapon in WW2 ?). But she thinks it is too dangerous, so she sends the pieces of the algorithm backwards in time to hide them ? Why not just destroying them to make sure it's never used ? Now there are some other future people who wants to use the algorithm to destroy the world (dunno why though, maybe because the world is so shitty now so they want to end it ?). But since the pieces are going now backwards in time they have to use Sator now to discover them ?? How do they know Sator ? Also, Sator says he gets them from reversed time capsules. So is someone really sending them willingly to him ? Why ??

- When does JDW recruits Pattinson exactly ? In the past, or in the future ? From when is coming the reversed Pattinson who saves him in the opera and sacrifices himself at the end of the movie ? Why does Pattinson say to JDW that they will never see each other again ?

- Is the opera scene happening at the same time as the final scene ? I think Caine says to JDW that there was an explosion in the Soviet city exactly when JDW is in the opera in Kiev.

- How does exactly the reversed wounds work ? If someone punches you while reversed, you get a bruise before he hits you ? If he shoots at you, does the bullet appears in you before he shoots it ?? So are wounded weeks before the fight ?

morlock84 wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:28 am

I'll try my best to answer your points.

Before I go into details remember that this feature is really a third act. We are not seing the whole story.
From my pov, JDW is chasing what he think is plutonium and he is trying to prevent a nuclear holocaust.
There is only one realm but it's like one side is going back and the other is moving forward. It's not an alternate reality. It is the same reality but not moving in the same direction. Hence Pattinson's hands gesture.
Sator is your typical foe. he is trying to control the world and bend it to its will. When the URSS fell, he discovered a box connecting him to the people ahead of time. He started working with them as he was making his fortune as a weapons' smuggler and plutonium dealer.
The world is devastated by water flooding. An ecological disaster. Not a proper war. The idea for the people ahead of time, is to use the algorythm to reverse the entropy of time. It is not to nuke us. It is to simply erase us by going backward in time. Explained in the feature, time is constantly fighting back and forth. JDW states that he thought the grey boxes were plutonium but it ain't. It is the algorythm.
The problem is that the Russian wants to be god like. He wants to be ALpha and Omega (beginning and end). So he connects the delivery of the algorythm to his own death which is ticking bomb (considering he only has few months to live). If the Russian dies when the algorythm is delivered to the people ahead, it is a signal for them to start reversing the entropy of time on a global scale. It is a warranty. It also a safe net for the Russian as he is unkileable.
Think about the feature as a representation of the magical square Sator-Arepo-Tenet-Opera-Rotas... That would explain the feature: You reap what you sow.
Regarding Poesy' sentence about the upcoming conflict: you can it "both ways", it's either we are getting stuff from our own past or the remnants are from Stalsk 12 (battle at the end of the movie)
The algorythm was created by a scientist (a female one) but the scientist knew other people would use for destruction. So she decided to send it back to us so that it was practically unreachable. What I think we are missing is that Poesy might be the scientist in question. She just does not know it yet. Throughout the feature no one is capable of explaining this phenomenon. It is there, we can see it and experience it but can't explain it for now. Very much like a black hole. We can observe a black hole but we can't say what it is because we can't explain it. Only make hypothesis. To go further I think, either JDW or Pattinson (or both) will be the one hiding the algorythm (as seen at the end).

Supposedly, JDW is working this operation for a long long time. He was after plutonimum. he was trying to prevent the wrong person having nuclear capabilities. On this mission, he hired Neil from way back and they go a long way. If the feature had a STANDARD beginning, we would have more background story for them two. Pattinson knows a lot about him (no alcohol on the job).
Explained in the feature "TENET" can open the right or the wrong doors from a social perspective but also as an experience. When you enter one of those vaults/turnstile, you have doors. At the end, when Pattinson use his own turnstile, we do not see him go through both doors back and forth, we only see the reflexion of him going through one of them. Considering he is moving back (blue team) and he enters to move forth, his action means he has no future.

-JDW kills her because she lied to him. Tried to keep him on a leash will not providing every answers. Also considering JDW has a crush for debicki and the indian woman wants to kill debicki it seems clear. Understand that Debicki and JDW already know each other and already have an affair, they just don't know it yet. Stop thinking linearly as ATJ said it ;)

-I think it happens either at the same time or right after it. When he eats the pils and finds himself locked in a wind turbine.

-For the wounds, I would suggest you to imagine a bullet shattered in your body that would get back to it's original form and then wind back up into the canon of the gun. That idea, to me, seems painful af. when JDW stabs himself then after they go into the turnstile, after the car crash and when they are on the boat the injury appears So you go through pain from less intense to more intense.

Last edited by Zimmeredge on August 26th, 2020, 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

karthiksac wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 9:02 am
One additional question/point

Why didn't
Kat / Elizabeth need to wear the mask when she goes back to "Vietnam/yatch scene " at the end of the movie .. isn't she in inverted time?
I don't think she is inverted because event in her recollection of that moment when JDW and her meet, she does not wear a mask jumping from the boat.

I think they all (except blue team and Pattinson) go inverted back to that moment (Stalsk 12 and boat scene occurs at the same time) then they move forward again.

KEM
Haven’t seen any mention of the tank crashing through the train being in the film, can anyone confirm?

KEM wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Haven’t seen any mention of the tank crashing through the train being in the film, can anyone confirm?
That was a fake news

KEM
Collins wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 1:03 pm
KEM wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 12:53 pm
That was a fake news
Damn, that sounded awesome