Which IMAX Theaters Are You Going To See TENET? [Lists in the 1st POST]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 5:57 pm
life wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 2:35 pm
I saw the film in Liemax(since no 70mm film around me) with huge 2x projector screen, biggest screen in my state, and I saw the film at an AMC theater with Dolby Cinema Experience.

The Dolby Cinema was above and beyond the Imax. The picture was much more clear, and had better contrast. It was much cheaper too.

Best theater experience I ever had. Highly highly recommend Dolby.
could you hear the dialogue clearly?
It was my third time and I understood every word. I also "felt" the sound more in Dolby. I distinctly remember feeling each shot in the Opera scene and said to myself, I never experienced this ever for a movie. They must put bass in the seats or something.

But I think sound depends solely on the theater you are in. A ton of Imax theaters are different. Different number of rows, different amount of seats, ect, so there is no one set standard and you are up to management configuring everything properly.
I think AMC Dolby Theaters are pretty much standardized across the country, same seating, same lighting, same speakers, same size, ect. I could be wrong though.
Last edited by life on September 18th, 2020, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

life wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
life wrote:
I saw the film in Liemax(since no 70mm film around me) with huge 2x projector screen, biggest screen in my state, and I saw the film at an AMC theater with Dolby Cinema Experience.

The Dolby Cinema was above and beyond the Imax. The picture was much more clear, and had better contrast. It was much cheaper too.

It was my third time and I understood every word. I also "felt" the sound more in Dolby. I distinctly remember feeling each shot in the Opera scene and said to myself, I never experienced this ever for a movie. They must put bass in the seats or something.

But I think sound depends solely on the theater you are in. A ton of Imax theaters are different. Different number of rows, different amount of seats, ect, so there is no one set standard and you are up to management configuring everything properly.
I think AMC Dolby Theaters are pretty much standardized across the country, same seating, same lighting, same speakers, same size, ect. I could be wrong though.
I see. but i have people telling me that they watched it on AMC Dolby and they couldn't hear 30% of the dialogue.

life wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
life wrote:

Bingo. AMC Dolby has Buttkicker bass transducers under the seats. They work like subwoofers except they don’t make audible noise on their own. I have a smaller one on my gaming chair at home. I appreciate it a lot because I’m deaf and wouldn’t be aware of the sound unless the IMAX cranks the bass up.

brickarts295 wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 2:03 am
-Worth the risk? Look, I loved the movie but I hate maskless people in delicate environments like that one (Its Orange county so I get it). Luckily there weren't that many people and it was DEAD Quiet (which is how I like it). I say if you can find an almost empty screening, go for it.

Anyways, someone check on me in 2 weeks :crazy:
You've said that it looked nice but, just for extra confirmation:

- What was the projection quality like? Is the screen evenly lit and bright? Any tinting issues? And, out of curiosity, how much of the 1.90:1 aspect ratio fills the screen; is the image scaled to the left and right edges of the screen, leaving the top and bottom cut off? Is the brightness in any way comparable to 70mm IMAX projection?

- What was the sound like and, specifically, what was the center channel like? Was it clear and bright, or a bit "soft" and "muffled"?

I ask this because I watched the film earlier this week at the "IMAX" at Yorba Linda (single laser) and the image was, for me—and I'd say, even objectively, pretty poor:

- It wasn't pin sharp your completely in focus, as it should be, and because of this, there was noticeable and slightly blurry color fringing (red and green) at high-contrast edges.

- The top of the screen was dim—the image, or light projection circle was not effectively illuminating the entire screen evenly.

- The center channel for dialogue sounded a bit "soft" and didn't project as much as it could have—this is based on Nolan films I've seen in the past on 15/70 IMAX at Ontario and City Walk, where the center channel, and the dialogue was a bit brighter and not as "muffled" or "soft", as it can often seem to be in movie theaters, from my experience.

I'm sorry if this was answered somewhere before on here.

giodashorts wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 7:31 pm
You've said that it looked nice but, just for extra confirmation:

- What was the projection quality like? Is the screen evenly lit and bright? Any tinting issues? And, out of curiosity, how much of the 1.90:1 aspect ratio fills the screen; is the image scaled to the left and right edges of the screen, leaving the top and bottom cut off? Is the brightness in any way comparable to 70mm IMAX projection?

- What was the sound like and, specifically, what was the center channel like? Was it clear and bright, or a bit "soft" and "muffled"?
-Quality looked really sharp. Is something I actually remembered thinking because I could actually notice a bit of skin pores on the actors. I usually only ever notice stuff like that on UHD BDs. Lighting looked fine mine, saw everything perfectly. Edit: It terms of "backlight" like TVs, it did felt just a bit dark.

-The screen was 2.35:1/1.9:1, and I swear the majority of the time I believed it was 1.9:1. When you sit in the middle row/seats of the theater you can just barely notice the bottom half of the 1.43:1 ratio scenes (even with the normal ratio, it felt big too). Like said, I just barely notice the switch of the ratios which is a positive in my option. It doesn't use the full 1.43:1 screen that it has (I know because I have seen previous Nolan 70mm films there). But it covers enough of the screen, you can definitely see the top part missing (but thats because I'm used to seeing Nolan films at 70mm).

-Sound was sharp, clear, centered and almost too loud. Only problem was some of the dialogue being drowned by the soundtrack and muffled voices.

Just got back from my IMAX showing! This is quickly becoming my favorite Nolan film. I enjoyed it even more this time around, and the action scenes felt and looked even more incredible. Maybe the larger screen made a difference?

The Eagle Mountain sequence and Kat on the yacht with Sator really stood out this time. Eagle Mountain specifically never stood out to me before, but this time my mind was really blown - I'm thinking the fuller aspect ratio must have made the difference, plus the score was just a bit louder.

Comparing IMAX to AVX (seen twice in this format already), I didn't personally notice that much of a difference. The AVX screen I saw it on was pretty massive; I feel like the IMAX screen was only slightly larger - though with the 1.90 aspect ratio, the difference becomes a bit more stark. The image seemed slightly more clear and sharp in IMAX and the sound was slightly louder. I did miss more of the dialogue in IMAX, though I never thought it was unbearably bad. I would say I understood roughly 85-90% of the dialogue, but my prior viewings may have helped me out with this.

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed AVX and IMAX equally. Seeing this in 70mm IMAX with the 1.43 aspect ratio would be mind blowing. Can't even imagine.

Last night for my showing at Irvine Spectrum, they filled the theater more than 20%. After 15mins the movie started, big groups of people were still joining the show. Also a lot of protocols were broken, there was no such a thing as social distancing in this room. I literally had two people sitting in front of me and two in the row behind me towards my left side. Plus a lot of people had their masks off during the movie. I'm just glad I had my sanitizing sprayer so I could spray the air every 15mins!! I'll never come back to this theater during pandemic.

The sound was pretty amazing, but the picture quality especially with that weird 1.9 a/r on such a screen was agonizing for filmgeeks like most of us. To me that 70mm still had the best picture quality.

Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/VSnf3Ti

SINCEPTION wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 12:31 pm
I literally had two people sitting in front of me and two in the row behind me towards my left side
Man, I'd write to corporate about that. On the Regal site, they're only selling every other row. Looking at specifically Irvine Spectrum, their IMAX is supposed to only be seating rows A, C, E, G, I, and K (skipping B, D, F, and H).

Regal either purposefully opened up those seats in the system and sold them to make some extra cash, at the risk of propagating infection by seating people too close together, or people were sitting in the wrong seats (which I would still put Regal at fault for; they should have ushers monitoring, or at least idiot-proof the rows that are supposed to be blocked off by roping them off or something, so people don't sit there).

hotsauce32 wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 1:04 pm
SINCEPTION wrote:
I literally had two people sitting in front of me and two in the row behind me towards my left side
Man, I'd write to corporate about that. On the Regal site, they're only selling every other row. Looking at specifically Irvine Spectrum, their IMAX is supposed to only be seating rows A, C, E, G, I, and K (skipping B, D, F, and H).

Regal either purposefully opened up those seats in the system and sold them to make some extra cash, at the risk of propagating infection by seating people too close together, or people were sitting in the wrong seats (which I would still put Regal at fault for; they should have ushers monitoring, or at least idiot-proof the rows that are supposed to be blocked off by roping them off or something, so people don't sit there).
At first I thought maybe they’re being bunch of douchewaffles, but then I saw the crowd keep coming, the top five or six rows had ppl sitting. I felt extremely uncomfortable.

For their RPX, in mid of the show an employee walked through a couple times, but not for IMAX.

hotsauce32 wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 1:04 pm
SINCEPTION wrote:

you should make a phone call to Regal about this incident. Those people probably entered without tickets?

In my last 2 outing at Regal, no one checked my tickets. I could have watched the movie without purchasing a ticket.