Which IMAX Theaters Are You Going To See TENET? [Lists in the 1st POST]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I missed 5% or so of the dialogue.

-Vader

Oku
Vader182 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 3:39 am
I just got back from Indianapolis and saw this in 15/70. It's not a great print. Stretches of it are washed out, damaged and crush blacks and detail, especially the opening sequence but it's on and off the entire movie. That said, overall, it did look amazing and was well worth the 6 hour round trip.

I will warn those who haven't seen 15/70 yet, but at least in this print (and in Xenon), the overall visual approach also means Tenet just has much less IMAX eye candy than TDK, TDKR, Stellar and especially Dunkirk. I will say, the plane stuff, car chase, and final set piece did look amazing.

Sound was also mostly perfect. Great experience all in all.

PS, the others in the theater loved it.

-Vader
Wow, six hour trip, I could not imagine.

It's true, your second point. There's no Burj Khalifa/wormhole/Gargantua/Dunkirk's 'you are there'-like use of IMAX in TENET.

The only one that I can recall is the shot of him walking to that dinner party in Italy. At my third or fourth viewing, that shot suddenly sucked me in, and I literally felt like I was there on that Italian street. But it didn't last long as the next shot was ordinary and returned me to 'I'm watching a movie' mode.

The giant 1.43 image is nice no doubt, but there's not much 'material' in TENET to pair up with it.

Vader182 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 3:39 am
I just got back from Indianapolis and saw this in 15/70. It's not a great print. Stretches of it are washed out, damaged and crush blacks and detail, especially the opening sequence but it's on and off the entire movie. That said, overall, it did look amazing and was well worth the 6 hour round trip.

I will warn those who haven't seen 15/70 yet, but at least in this print (and in Xenon), the overall visual approach also means Tenet just has much less IMAX eye candy than TDK, TDKR, Stellar and especially Dunkirk. I will say, the plane stuff, car chase, and final set piece did look amazing.

Sound was also mostly perfect. Great experience all in all.

PS, the others in the theater loved it.

-Vader
I also had a six hour round trip to Ft. Lauderdale. First public screening of that print on the 31st. To me, it looked very pure, but now that you mention it, from the moment the prologue started up, I did notice it looked very different from what my eyes had adjusted to seeing it on digital projection so many times. I thought it was apart of the pure analog process. I didn’t notice any crushed blacks, contrast was moderate-high. The detail was extremely fine from what I noticed, especially in people’s faces. Main thing I noticed different from Xneon was the color in the red room/blue room. The blue in particular in 1570 looked lighter and more natural, Xneon blue looked deep blue and digitally saturated, and the red room did have contrast issues in Xneon. I did notice a small amount of dust, that can be expected with film projection.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 11:09 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 11:07 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 10:56 pm
I watched the movie at Yorba Linda. The seats are certainly comfortable. I estimate the screen height to be around 35 to 40" ish.
3 to 3 1/2 feet??? :o
sry i meant feet lol.
I'm curious:
Which row did you sit in? The back rows to the front section don't seem too close to the screen, based on the yelp photo. Still it may just be the angle of the photo and it in fact be too close, or low.

What was the sound like at this theater compared to the other places you've seen it at—where else did you watch the movie? And was the projection okay—and compared with other theaters?

Just emailed the CQO of IMAX regarding the Irvine situation, I'm hearing from a source that due to COVID only a limited amount of film prints were made, and the Irvine print was shipped to another location. Not sure if it's WB's fault or Regal being cheap. About to email the CEO of Cineworld/Regal. Would be nice to at least have Dual Laser to fill the screen

neb4ever wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 7:06 pm
Just emailed the CQO of IMAX regarding the Irvine situation, I'm hearing from a source that due to COVID only a limited amount of film prints were made, and the Irvine print was shipped to another location. Not sure if it's WB's fault or Regal being cheap. About to email the CEO of Cineworld/Regal. Would be nice to at least have Dual Laser to fill the screen
I think we all know who made that happen!

giodashorts wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 5:40 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 11:09 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 11:07 pm

3 to 3 1/2 feet??? :o
sry i meant feet lol.
I'm curious:
Which row did you sit in? The back rows to the front section don't seem too close to the screen, based on the yelp photo. Still it may just be the angle of the photo and it in fact be too close, or low.

What was the sound like at this theater compared to the other places you've seen it at—where else did you watch the movie? And was the projection okay—and compared with other theaters?
i watched it at mira mesa and yorba linda.

at mira mesa, i went during the first day of opening and the volume was set a bit lower than usual for imax theaters. but i didn't mind because it does get pretty loud in Tenet.

I would say my experience was quite similar. mira mesa uses Xenon while yorba linda used single laser. The contrast of colors is a bit larger in mira mesa.

dialogue issues are present in both. it was hard to catch 30 to 40% of the dialogue.

You can't go wrong with either theater.I had great experience in both.

EDIT: the seats are a bit more comfortable at Yorba linda. I sat in the back rows in both theaters.

From David Keighley CQO of IMAX

"Unfortunately there are no plans for 70MM IMAX at this location.

The single laser projector is very good, yes capable of only 1.90 but probably, the sharpest projector there is at 80 feet wide.

Tenet IMAX shoots, were derived from an IMAX film negative which has a resolution of
216 megapixels per frame. Therefore the IMAX presentation are extremely crisp and sharp.

If you need a 70MM fix, you will have to come to Universal Citywalk in LA, Esquire IMAX in Sacramento AMC Metreon in SanFransico. I hope they open soon.

Thanks for being a fan and welcome back to the movies."

I'm still going to email the CEO of Cineworld to try and convince them to upgrade to dual IMAX laser projection.

UPDATE: Regal Irvine has the single IMAX laser bolted into the floor. They are also getting rid of the IMAX 70mm projector permanently ):

neb4ever wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 10:32 pm
From David Keighley CQO of IMAX

"Unfortunately there are no plans for 70MM IMAX at this location.

The single laser projector is very good, yes capable of only 1.90 but probably, the sharpest projector there is at 80 feet wide.

Tenet IMAX shoots, were derived from an IMAX film negative which has a resolution of
216 megapixels per frame. Therefore the IMAX presentation are extremely crisp and sharp.

If you need a 70MM fix, you will have to come to Universal Citywalk in LA, Esquire IMAX in Sacramento AMC Metreon in SanFransico. I hope they open soon.

Thanks for being a fan and welcome back to the movies."

I'm still going to email the CEO of Cineworld to try and convince them to upgrade to dual IMAX laser projection.

UPDATE: Regal Irvine has the single IMAX laser bolted into the floor. They are also getting rid of the IMAX 70mm projector permanently ):
I’m in a similar fight to get dual laser at Pointe Orlando. We still have Xneon, but I’m afraid they’re going to screw us over the same way with single laser. I ain’t letting that crap happen.

Maybe if enough people email the CEO of Cineworld we can change it? I doubt it, but he claims to be a cinefile and cares about theatrical presentation lol