Which IMAX Theaters Are You Going To See TENET? [Lists in the 1st POST]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
raimibonn wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 5:15 pm
If the theater offers Dolby Atmos and LieMAX w/ laser, which one would be the better choice? I'm sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks in advance!
Compared to what? Dual laser?

Dolby Atmos theaters may have higher end sound in general, but Nolan's films aren't mixed in Dolby Atmos, and they never will be. The theaters may have a way of artificially upmixing them, but I'd say DA wouldn't be a bigger reason to lean toward that film if it has an inferior visual system unless the sound quality itself is far superior.

raimibonn wrote:
If the theater offers Dolby Atmos and LieMAX w/ laser, which one would be the better choice? I'm sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks in advance!
If you mean Dolby Atmos, as in the sound system alone, and not Dolby Cinema the combination of Dolby Atmos sound And Dolby Vision projectors, then LieMAX with laser will be The better choose. You will get more picture at 1.90:1 instead of 2.20:1 in the other format. IMAX laser projectors are also very high quality in terms of contrast And color. If you mean Dolby Cinema, that uses laser projectors too, but you won’t get The expanded IMAX image, so LieMAX is The better choice either way. Also, Tenet is reportedly only mixed in standard 5.1 audio, so going to a theater with Dolby Atmos wouldn’t give much real benefit over IMAX.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 4:23 pm
Definitely worth it. You're fortunate to live so close to the Bullock IMAX. I drove 5+ hours for Dunkirk. Stayed in a Hampton Inn hotel that is like a 2-3 minute walk from the Bullock Museum/IMAX. Watched the movie 3 times over a weekend before driving back home. It was worth every penny, including the hotel bills. And worth the 10+ hours of driving roundtrip as well.

The Bullock IMAX sound is loud but VERY clear. It's a night and day difference in sound quality compared to my local LieMAX screen. The Dual Laser projection in 1.43 aspect ratio is incredible on a 62 foot tall screen. It's the perfect moviegoing experience.
God that sounds incredible!! I can't even imagine what the 1.43 aspect ratio would look like - that and the sound is the thing that excites me the most.

Nicewatch wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 5:46 pm
raimibonn wrote:
If you mean Dolby Atmos, as in the sound system alone, and not Dolby Cinema the combination of Dolby Atmos sound And Dolby Vision projectors, then LieMAX with laser will be The better choose. You will get more picture at 1.90:1 instead of 2.20:1 in the other format. IMAX laser projectors are also very high quality in terms of contrast And color. If you mean Dolby Cinema, that uses laser projectors too, but you won’t get The expanded IMAX image, so LieMAX is The better choice either way. Also, Tenet is reportedly only mixed in standard 5.1 audio, so going to a theater with Dolby Atmos wouldn’t give much real benefit over IMAX.
I just wanted to say that it depends on who you are regarding the shifting AR. I loathe the shifting AR if I'm not getting the 1.43:1 AR on a 70+ foot screen at what is effectively 16K resolution. Many other people seem to prefer it, though. I think the LieMAX experience is dreadful and a detriment to the viewer (or myself, rather).

marshallmurphy wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 5:49 pm
God that sounds incredible!! I can't even imagine what the 1.43 aspect ratio would look like - that and the sound is the thing that excites me the most.
The dogfights in Dunkirk were the single coolest thing I've ever seen in a theater on a 76-foot tall 15/70mm IMAX screen. The sound was just as incredible.

My bad! It's actually Dolby Cinema vs LieMAX w/ single laser. But I guess in either case IMAX is still the better choice. Thanks, guys!

Purchased a ticket for the Regal Red Rock IMAX in Las Vegas, but still undecided on actually going.

Anyone here know how their IMAX is? I know it's just the Xenon digital, not even Laser, so I'm torn if it's even worth me driving all the way out there for a Liemax...

It would have to be a day trip for me, driving from Los Angeles and back (4.5 to 5 hours, about 300 miles drive each way).

hotsauce32 wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 7:47 pm
Purchased a ticket for the Regal Red Rock IMAX in Las Vegas, but still undecided on actually going.

Anyone here know how their IMAX is? I know it's just the Xenon digital, not even Laser, so I'm torn if it's even worth me driving all the way out there for a Liemax...

It would have to be a day trip for me, driving from Los Angeles and back (4.5 to 5 hours, about 300 miles drive each way).
Same! It's just IMAX Xenon. It actually has reclining chairs I think. (never seen imax with reclining chairs before) But I'm also going to see it in 4DX at the same theater location

15PerfBoi wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 11:18 am
If you live in the U.S. and plan to see Tenet indoors, I strongly recommend against doing that. I work at one of these theaters and we found there was no way to effectively reduce COVID spread....But trust me, indoor movie theaters have all done the math and have concluded they can't stop COVID from spreading. They've either decided to remain closed, or reopen and put their customers in danger.
In my Canadian city of roughly 1 million people they are reporting roughly 10 to 30 new COVID19 cases a day.
Why I still plan on going Wednesday:

-The biggest IMAX(sadly a lieMAX) in town has a capacity of roughly ~430 people. Ticket sales are capped at 50. A limit in the cinema of about 12% of capacity seems safe given the government directives to stay 2 metres apart.

-I'm not buying concessions (cinema profits be damned!) and keeping my mask on the whole time; this is a film that requires 100% of your attention anyways.

Friendless_at_Dusk wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 1:34 am
Just came back from an IMAX screening of Peninsula...People are still nervous (and inconvenienced?) about taking off their masks to eat. It's difficult for me to judge because this was my first time back at the cinema since March, but fewer people seemed to be buying popcorn and drinks. That's where the big money is; the markup is huge on concessions...
Although when I went to this exact cinema earlier this month there weren't the max of 50 people (fewer than 20 people) only one group of 3 was eating popcorn. Everyone else kept their masks on and sat quietly watching the film. People are nervous and I think fewer people will be munching and slurping away.

I HIGHLY encourage everyone to check their country/province/state/city's regulations and their cinema's own policies regarding seating and capacity.
If you feel your cinema isn't safe don't go. You won't enjoy yourself anyways and it isn't worth putting your health at risk.
If you feel they are safe in their approach, support them and go watch TENET! :gonf:

Some curious information here. So for my area, the only real custom-built IMAX auditorium reopened after being down for maintenance for a while. This is an auditorium that has both a Xenon digital IMAX projector and a 15-perf 70mm IMAX projector. I spoke with the location by phone and an employee mentioned something quite curious. The employee said their 70mm IMAX projector is fully operational and ready to go, but according to the head office of the theater chain here in Canada (Cineplex), they won't be getting a 70mm IMAX print for their location at this time as there isn't enough staff to operate the 70mm IMAX projector. The employee further said head office has been very vague about 70mm IMAX prints for Tenet in general, but that head office did not exclude anything. This leaves a small possibility that more 70mm IMAX prints of Tenet may roll out in the future.

Take it for what it's worth, but quite curious. Anecdotal yes, but if true it means this has nothing to do with WB or Nolan not striking enough 70mm IMAX prints. Instead if true this means at least in some countries, lack of 70mm IMAX prints is possibly due to staffing issues at some theater chains.

SINCEPTION wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 12:13 pm
I second that man, love that post, I'll link it in the first post too :twothumbsup:
That's a kind gesture mate :gonf:. Hope it helps others.

DarkChocolateOreo wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 12:16 pm
Just a update. I did hear from Tysons. They say it is indeed dual laser but say they dont know if it will fill their screen and will only know once they get the digital copy
tysons is 1.9 aspect ratio, was there last week to see inception in imax