Which IMAX Theaters Are You Going To See TENET? [Lists in the 1st POST]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Just a update. I did hear from Tysons. They say it is indeed dual laser but say they dont know if it will fill their screen and will only know once they get the digital copy

herviross_2 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 6:27 am
I booked my ticket for the first IMAX laser show on the 29th. Don't think we have 70mm IMAX screens here in Dubai, so IMAX laser is the next best thing. So excited to finally watch it!
I like your avi pic

Not IMAX related but for anyone in NY/CA etc hoping for drive ins....

In the US they're also seemingly only offering it to DCP projection ones too (though one of the 3 in the UK showing it is LED screen and is therefore most likely playing a ProRes or Blu-ray)

https://www.imax.com/news/experience-du ... imax-laser

Dunkirk IMAX 70mm And 1.43:1 Laser location list. Perhaps it can be used to find Laser locations in places that are still open.

It’s really sad seeing how there were 36 IMAX 70mm prints back then, vs 10 now. Also 120 5 perf 70mm locations for Dunkirk And just a fraction of that now. That could be due to WB no longer owning the 100+ 70mm projectors that were originally rolled out for The Hateful Eight. No idea who owns them now.

Nicewatch wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 3:59 am
https://www.imax.com/news/experience-du ... imax-laser

Dunkirk IMAX 70mm And 1.43:1 Laser location list. Perhaps it can be used to find Laser locations in places that are still open.

It’s really sad seeing how there were 36 IMAX 70mm prints back then, vs 10 now. Also 120 5 perf 70mm locations for Dunkirk And just a fraction of that now. That could be due to WB no longer owning the 100+ 70mm projectors that were originally rolled out for The Hateful Eight. No idea who owns them now.
I am curious about IMAX Laser installations over the last few years. The IMAX website used to have a page that kept track of this, but they got rid of it.

antovolk wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:32 am
Not IMAX related but for anyone in NY/CA etc hoping for drive ins....

Fucking yikes, looks like I'll be waiting until God knows how long to see it.

Hi all, Manori here from Variety magazine. I'm looking to speak to anyone who has booked a flight to see 'Tenet' in another state/country. If this is you, or someone you know, please write me at [email protected]. Thanks so much!

Apologies in advance if some of this has been discussed before, but want to provide info for Tenet's 70mm release in New England and why I strongly recommend not seeing it at an indoor theater if you live in a badly infected place like the U.S.

The Providence Place IMAX theater has a screen for 15/70mm and has played Nolan's previous releases on film, but seems to only doing Tenet on 1.90:1 digital.

Norwalk, CT Aquarium's IMAX theater (can only project 15/70mm) is closed. They played the Tenet prologue back in December but don't seem to have plans to reopen with the film. If Tenet came to New England in 15/70mm, Norwalk or Providence would be the ones to play it.

Jordan's Furniture laser IMAX in Reading is currently closed because of the pandemic.

The Coolidge Corner Theater in MA is not screening it in 5/70mm at this time. They do not have a print and have no plans to reopen with Tenet anytime soon.

The Somerville Theater has gotten all of Nolan's 5/70mm releases before but is currently closed and has no plans to reopen with Tenet.

Arclight Cinemas in Boston has a 5/70mm projector, but has no plans to reopen with Tenet anytime soon.

The AMC Boston Common also has a 5/70mm projector, but doesn't seem to have a print. Their digital IMAX screen is scope, so you'd basically be paying to see the cropped version on a bigger screen.

The reason so many Boston theaters can project 5/70mm is because of Boston Light and Sound, which refurbished the projectors for Hateful Eight. Warner Bros. probably decided to not strike as many prints because of the pandemic.

West Newton Cinema has gotten 35mm prints of Nolan's films before, but doesn't have any info for opening Tenet on 35mm.

If you live in the U.S. and plan to see Tenet indoors, I strongly recommend against doing that. I work at one of these theaters and we found there was no way to effectively reduce COVID spread. We significantly reduced theater capacity and even spread available seats out, but the problem is that people take off their masks to eat food during the film. It only takes one sick person to infect 20+ other people, and so on. Theaters rely on concession sales to make profits, so not selling them would mean huge losses (more, since Warner Bros. is taking large % of Tenet ticket sales). And that's not counting the risk the theater staff are putting themselves in. Taking public transit or ride shares to work is like playing Russian Roulette--eventually you will get infected. Chain theaters like AMC do not have safe seating arrangements for reopening. Trust me, they only care about getting your money. And if you think an IMAX theater is large enough for you to avoid infection, I caught a bad cold when I saw Ad Astra at the Jordan's Furniture with a sparse crowd.

My advice would be to either see it at a drive-in or wait until the pandemic's calmed down and a 1.43:1 version of the film makes its way to your area. I can definitely see prints of Tenet going on tour the same way previous Nolan IMAX films had been doing in the past year. But trust me, indoor movie theaters have all done the math and have concluded they can't stop COVID from spreading. They've either decided to remain closed, or reopen and put their customers in danger.

15PerfBoi wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 11:18 am
Apologies in advance if some of this has been discussed before, but want to provide info for Tenet's 70mm release in New England and why I strongly recommend not seeing it at an indoor theater if you live in a badly infected place like the U.S.

The Providence Place IMAX theater has a screen for 15/70mm and has played Nolan's previous releases on film, but seems to only doing Tenet on 1.90:1 digital.

Norwalk, CT Aquarium's IMAX theater (can only project 15/70mm) is closed. They played the Tenet prologue back in December but don't seem to have plans to reopen with the film. If Tenet came to New England in 15/70mm, Norwalk or Providence would be the ones to play it.

Jordan's Furniture laser IMAX in Reading is currently closed because of the pandemic.

The Coolidge Corner Theater in MA is not screening it in 5/70mm at this time. They do not have a print and have no plans to reopen with Tenet anytime soon.

The Somerville Theater has gotten all of Nolan's 5/70mm releases before but is currently closed and has no plans to reopen with Tenet.

Arclight Cinemas in Boston has a 5/70mm projector, but has no plans to reopen with Tenet anytime soon.

The AMC Boston Common also has a 5/70mm projector, but doesn't seem to have a print. Their digital IMAX screen is scope, so you'd basically be paying to see the cropped version on a bigger screen.

The reason so many Boston theaters can project 5/70mm is because of Boston Light and Sound, which refurbished the projectors for Hateful Eight. Warner Bros. probably decided to not strike as many prints because of the pandemic.

West Newton Cinema has gotten 35mm prints of Nolan's films before, but doesn't have any info for opening Tenet on 35mm.

If you live in the U.S. and plan to see Tenet indoors, I strongly recommend against doing that. I work at one of these theaters and we found there was no way to effectively reduce COVID spread. We significantly reduced theater capacity and even spread available seats out, but the problem is that people take off their masks to eat food during the film. It only takes one sick person to infect 20+ other people, and so on. Theaters rely on concession sales to make profits, so not selling them would mean huge losses (more, since Warner Bros. is taking large % of Tenet ticket sales). And that's not counting the risk the theater staff are putting themselves in. Taking public transit or ride shares to work is like playing Russian Roulette--eventually you will get infected. Chain theaters like AMC do not have safe seating arrangements for reopening. Trust me, they only care about getting your money. And if you think an IMAX theater is large enough for you to avoid infection, I caught a bad cold when I saw Ad Astra at the Jordan's Furniture with a sparse crowd.

My advice would be to either see it at a drive-in or wait until the pandemic's calmed down and a 1.43:1 version of the film makes its way to your area. I can definitely see prints of Tenet going on tour the same way previous Nolan IMAX films had been doing in the past year. But trust me, indoor movie theaters have all done the math and have concluded they can't stop COVID from spreading. They've either decided to remain closed, or reopen and put their customers in danger.
Great post! From what I have seen with my local theaters from AMC and Regal, they are definitely not serious about social distancing. Looks like 80-90% of the seats are available for purchase when they should be grayed out if these companies were actually serious about creating distance between the people in these auditoriums.

I wish the movie was delayed a solid year, but oh well. Nolan & WB really wanted to release it now. So be it. I'll be seeing it on home video when the time comes.

My AMC is blocking out all 8 seats around me when I purchased the ticket.