Which IMAX Theaters Are You Going To See TENET? [Lists in the 1st POST]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Imaginatio wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 1:06 am
I would not worry too much about that tweet, and would be calm and relaxed.

First off, I strongly disagree with the assertion that ALL of Europe will get only ONE 70mm IMAX print. I haven't looked into it deeply myself, but I've seen anecdotal reports that 70mm IMAX tickets are on sale in Norway and Czech Republic. Perhaps other NF members can confirm this. That right there though would prove the tweet false.

The "trusted source" that tweet is referring to is a very dubious source, which is this one: https://www.in70mm.com/news/2020/tenet/index.htm

That source relies on nothing more than anecdotal evidence. 13 70mm IMAX prints for the whole world? Don't make me laugh. The Dark Knight, Nolan's first film to utilize IMAX footage, and Nolan's first film to get a 70mm IMAX release had way more than 13 70mm prints worldwide. For Tenet, that source is missing many countries like Canada and Australia, which are guaranteed to get at least a few 70mm IMAX prints. The source website even states it cannot take any responsibility for the accuracy of the information listed, so pretty much it's almost useless.

Given that WB and Nolan have been so committed to the theater experience and exhibitors worldwide during this crisis, and given that Tenet is being viewed as a savior of cinema by many exhibitors, it's only logical that exhibitors would want to show some respect and admiration to Nolan and WB. Plus Nolan has a lot of pull in the industry these days, and given the big budget and ambitiousness of Tenet, the only logical conclusion is that Nolan, WB, and IMAX have been working on having as many 70mm prints available as possible. Exhibitors likely want to bend over backwards to please Nolan and WB given the current times. Exhibitors worldwide know very well that Nolan considers 70mm IMAX prints the definitive way to watch his films. It would be absolutely crazy if Nolan wanted lots of 70mm IMAX projectors ready to go worldwide with lots of 70mm IMAX prints and exhibitors refused. Exhibitors would be committing economic and commercial suicide if they did that. Due to current times, and streaming and VOD becoming a bigger deal, it's now more important than ever for exhibitors worldwide to have a differentiating experience that will keep bringing people back to theaters. 70mm IMAX presentations are the ultimate in movie theater experiences, and absolutely cannot be replicated whatsoever at home.

In this article here from a few months ago, an IMAX executive confirmed their continued commitment to the 70mm IMAX experience: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bennyharev ... 94605e24a9

In addition, Dunkirk in 2017 had one of the largest 70mm releases worldwide (including IMAX 70mm and regular 70mm prints) in almost 30 years. I believe Dunkirk had one of the largest 70mm IMAX releases worldwide ever. So to go from that on Dunkirk to a tiny amount of 70mm IMAX prints on Tenet makes no sense. Let's not forget the recent rumors that one of the reasons for Tenet's delays was supposedly to give IMAX more time to make 70mm IMAX prints. Of course one thing that complicates matters is Tenet's staggered worldwide release. Due to the nature of current events, some countries may not get 70mm IMAX showings right away. I'm confident though that once Tenet is playing almost everywhere worldwide, there will be a decent amount of 70mm IMAX prints in circulation. Plus, due to the unprecedented nature of current times, who knows, we may see Tenet get a major re-release next year (including 70mm IMAX prints) if the film is popular enough.
I am pretty sure you are confusing 5 perf 70mm with real IMAX 15 perf 70mm,.

I checked the Norwegian source and its regular 70mm, not IMAX.
https://www.cinemateket.no/artikler/ten ... inemateket

Can we assume the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis will get a 15/70 IMAX print? I emailed them just in case, I'll report back if they respond. That's where I saw Dunkirk, and being in Ohio that's going to be my best bet as far as driving goes.

KEM
Hustler wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 2:03 pm
Can we assume the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis will get a 15/70 IMAX print? I emailed them just in case, I'll report back if they respond. That's where I saw Dunkirk, and being in Ohio that's going to be my best bet as far as driving goes.
I’m in St. Louis and I’m thinking about making the trek out there myself with some friends

KEM wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Hustler wrote:
I’m in St. Louis and I’m thinking about making the trek out there myself with some friends
Nice, we'd have a very similar drive time then. With Dunkirk I spent the night at a hotel and saw it again the next day haha. Might consider doing the same here.

KEM
Hustler wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 2:14 pm
KEM wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Hustler wrote:
Nice, we'd have a very similar drive time then. With Dunkirk I spent the night at a hotel and saw it again the next day haha. Might consider doing the same here.
Yeah we’re talking about doing 3 days in a row lol, is Indy a difficult city to navigate? Never been there before and I want as easy a trip as possible

Hustler wrote:
They are

oh shiiiit! 70mm prints arrived! I’m comiiiiiiiiing!

mario80 wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm
I am too, only spelled the other way. :oops:

mario80 wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm
a lovely sight