Which IMAX Theaters Are You Going To See TENET? [Lists in the 1st POST]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:20 am
Feel like a topic for people living in States...
Yup. There are hardly any ( two ? ) theatres outside US that are gonna show this movie in 70mm film.

A ton of 15/70 projectors around the world (mostly in the science museums now that imax has called those rented / leased projectors back) but they haven't shown anything new in over a decade. If all those were to be restored you'd have over, I think 160-170 film projectors around the world showing it on large format film.

Is there any IMAX Theater in Brisbane? Is anybody currently living in Brisbane?

SCORPIO16 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:17 am
Brisbane, Australia? No. The "IMAX" theatre at Southbank is no longer an IMAX and doesn't have the screen or projector anymore - just the IMAX sign.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:23 am
SINCEPTION wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:47 am
blackColumn wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:40 am
Either you go to an actual 70mm film theatre or you don't (4K is vastly inferior).

Not sure how it'll play out for me but here's a forbes article where vice president of IMAX says film is just better than digital.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bennyharev ... f1636124a9

I think the next best thing will be when they release 8k home video which won't be anytime soon.
I don't get why they're releasing anything on 8K yet. I think companies still wanna bank in with 4K, I wonder if they wanna drag it with 6K then to 8K.
It would only make sense with 70mm movies, or shot on monstro, its hard to tell if digital cameras will keep ramping up the resolution up to crazy figures like 16k in the near to mid future, they should worry more about color depth, HDR is a step in the right direction for digital exhibition.
Have you heard any theatre calling themselves HDR theatre? I haven't. Purely on the basis of perceived quality you can say most 4K HDR TVs show 'better' images. The difference is that digital cinema projectors show you a reflected image that is much easier on eyes as opposed to emissive displays used in TVs and smartphones. But these super expensive digital projectors are expected to be phased out gradually in favour of LED cinemas, where many screens are assembled together to a make a giant emissive display with better brightness, contrast and perceived image quality, to a lay person atleast.

Filmmakers will know it for the downgrade it is and will perhaps jump to save digital projectors, perhaps when it is too late.

To sum up : Film projection >> Digital projection >> Emissive Display Cinema
Last edited by blackColumn on May 23rd, 2020, 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

SCORPIO16 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:17 am
No. However, Palace Centro will be showing it in 70mm.

Indiana State Imax!

Joshua Strong wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:11 am
I'll be at Navy Pier for sure and I will take the drive down to Indianapolis to see the movie on the super big IMAX there.

Like Dunkirk, most of my shows will probably be at the Music Box in 70mm
I live in Indy! will be there multiple times and can get you discounted tickets

blackColumn wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:24 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:23 am
SINCEPTION wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:47 am

I don't get why they're releasing anything on 8K yet. I think companies still wanna bank in with 4K, I wonder if they wanna drag it with 6K then to 8K.
It would only make sense with 70mm movies, or shot on monstro, its hard to tell if digital cameras will keep ramping up the resolution up to crazy figures like 16k in the near to mid future, they should worry more about color depth, HDR is a step in the right direction for digital exhibition.
Have you heard any theatre calling themselves HDR theatre? I haven't. Purely on the basis of perceived quality you can say most 4K HDR TVs show 'better' images. The difference is that digital cinema projectors show you a reflected image that is much easier on eyes as opposed to emissive displays used in TVs and smartphones. But these super expensive digital projectors are expected to be phased out gradually in favour of LED cinemas, where many screens are assembled together to a make a giant emissive display with better brightness, contrast and perceived image quality, to a lay person atleast.

Filmmakers will know it for the downgrade it is and will perhaps jump to save digital projectors, perhaps when it is too late.

To sum up : Film projection >> Digital projection >> Emissive Display Cinema
HDR is an upgrade from the majority of projectors around the world, in my country there arent any Dolby theaters yet, the current HDR 10 standar is 10-12 bit, witch IS a considerable step up from 8 bit, it isnt just a percieved quality increase, its quantifiable and quite notorious, as for LED cinemas replacing analog projection, thats a different matter, and im in no way happy about that prospect.

blackColumn wrote:
Have you heard any theatre calling themselves HDR theatre? I haven't.
Dolby theaters do.

Also: The Indianapolis IMAX looks amazing, but the sound system is garbage. It's very "tinny" with blown out base and absolutely no clarity to the sound. I had the pleasure of touring the IMAX booth there, though. It was great.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 4:03 am
blackColumn wrote:
Have you heard any theatre calling themselves HDR theatre? I haven't.
Dolby theaters do.

Also: The Indianapolis IMAX looks amazing, but the sound system is garbage. It's very "tinny" with blown out base and absolutely no clarity to the sound. I had the pleasure of touring the IMAX booth there, though. It was great.

-Vader
Its funny, all we get here its the lieMAX, but the sound is INCREDIBLE, Dunkirk was absolutely astonishing, i just wish i could combine that sound with a 70mm projector goddamit !.