Trailer #3

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
This movie really is dealing with entropy, or reverse entropy for that matter (no such thing in real life, though). Look at the whiteboard, it shows part of one of the Maxwell equations: dU = TdS – PdV.

Basically, it is saying internal energy U changes depending on entropy S and volume V. Now, entropy, in our universe, moves in one direction—that's just how our world works. Entropy tends to increase, says the second Law of Thermodynamics.

Anyway, as a physics major, I think this movie is dealing with reversing entropy and thus, reversing time (or rather, reversing the way things behave). If entropy is reversed, chaos becomes order (bullet and shell becoming one; shattered glass merging). Hence, JDW's saying "inversion". The flow of entropy inverted.

In other words, the inversion of the arrow of entropy, the natural law of our world. But time still moves forward, no one can do anything about that.

EDIT: the diagram with the blue and red arrows at the bottom is just saying if the volume increases, the entropy of the system increases.
Last edited by raimibonn on May 22nd, 2020, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raimibonn wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm
This movie really is dealing with entropy, or reverse entropy for that matter (no such thing in real life, though). Look at the whiteboard, it shows part of one of the Maxwell equations: dU = TdS – PdV.

Basically, it is saying internal energy U changes depending on entropy S and volume V. Now, entropy, in our universe, moves in one direction—that's just how our world works. Entropy tends to increase, says the second Law of Thermodynamics.

Anyway, as a physics major, I think this movie is dealing with reversing entropy and thus, reversing time (or rather, reversing the way things behave). If entropy is reversed, chaos becomes order (bullet and shell becoming one; shattered glass merging). Hence, JDW's saying "inversion". The flow of entropy inverted.

In other words, the inversion of the arrow of entropy, the natural law of our world.

EDIT: the diagram with the blue and red arrows at the bottom is just saying if the volume increases, the entropy of the system increases.
What a lovely insight, thanks!

raimibonn wrote:

In other words, the inversion of the arrow of entropy, the natural law of our world. But time still moves forward, no one can do anything about that.

Thank you for this, so according to this I've just read:
http://webhome.auburn.edu/~smith01/notes/maxdem.htm

In TENET the possibility to reverse time is the Demon itself making the decisions for the molecules ?! Or I'm wrong :think:

raimibonn wrote:

Thanks so much for this. :gonf:

CakeLessEgg wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:21 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 1:16 pm
aleks989 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:51 pm
That line in the end had my going ... why am I here ?!?! It truly could be the tagline of his poster.
"This reversing in the flow of time. Doesn't us being here now means it never happened? "
I have a feeling that Tenet is based on the sci-fi theory that space-time is a loop. So at end of the movie, to prevent the world from being destroyed, JDW has to repeat his actions such that the original story happens. So the SWAT dressed guy who reversed bullet saved him, could be JDW himself.
whole plot is based on Maxwell's Demon that can reverse entropy! The picture on the black board is visual representation of Maxwell's Demon!
I am actually familar with Maxwell's Demon because I have taken undergraduate physics classes. To go from Maxwell's Demon to time reversal is actually pretty far-fetch although I can see a smidgen of connection - but that is relegated to pure 'thought experiment', and not actual concrete science. This is certainly sci-fi realm and not like Interstellar, where Nolan tried his best to emulate real-life physics in the first 2/3 of the movie.

I hope the script doesn't mention technical details of entropy and 2nd law of thermodyanmics to great detail...I want to see more emotions and actions, and the whole visceral feel of time reversal.

I'm sure it has already been mentioned, but I just realized there's no actual tagline in the trailer.

raimibonn wrote:

Man, this got me even more pumped. Thank you for sharing your insight!

So a line that kinda goes unnoticed amidst the louder aspects of the later part of the trailer -
RPat saying "we need to save them, here and now" - might possibly be hinting at the emotional arc for JDW?

The idea that with all of the power and responsibility of inversion, he might be getting a bit obsessed and losing hold on what the right thing to do is. It's classic CN to implement a direct emotional core like that into a sprawling narrative.

raimibonn wrote:

Yes. love this! you are one of the few who are looking into the facts rather than just stating their opinions without supporting them. good stuff

ninenin wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 3:15 pm
What about the idea that anti-matter could be interpreted as ordinary matter moving backwards in time: https://physicsworld.com/a/our-universe ... hysicists/
This is bull. A testament to how media can twist something ordinary into something out of place and fully controversial.

The observation they had about neutrinos coming from inside the earth (instead of from outer space) near Antarctica could be explain either by systematics (experimental aspects not accounted for) or the fact that the thick Antarctica ice having something to do with the neurinos' paths being deflected out of trajectory.