Trailer #3

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
rotas wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:26 pm
raimibonn wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm
This movie really is dealing with entropy, or reverse entropy for that matter (no such thing in real life, though). Look at the whiteboard, it shows part of one of the Maxwell equations: dU = TdS – PdV.

Basically, it is saying internal energy U changes depending on entropy S and volume V. Now, entropy, in our universe, moves in one direction—that's just how our world works. Entropy tends to increase, says the second Law of Thermodynamics.

Anyway, as a physics major, I think this movie is dealing with reversing entropy and thus, reversing time (or rather, reversing the way things behave). If entropy is reversed, chaos becomes order (bullet and shell becoming one; shattered glass merging). Hence, JDW's saying "inversion". The flow of entropy inverted.

In other words, the inversion of the arrow of entropy, the natural law of our world. But time still moves forward, no one can do anything about that.

EDIT: the diagram with the blue and red arrows at the bottom is just saying if the volume increases, the entropy of the system increases.
Yes. love this! you are one of the few who are looking into the facts rather than just stating their opinions without supporting them. good stuff
I have a rather hot take on the use of "quantum" to describe the film: entropy has little to do with quantum mechanics, and so "quantum cold war" is a bit of a stretch. However, I'm holding this opinion off before I watch the film.

aleks989 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:44 pm
raimibonn wrote:
This movie really is dealing with entropy, or reverse entropy for that matter (no such thing in real life, though). Look at the whiteboard, it shows part of one of the Maxwell equations: dU = TdS – PdV.

Basically, it is saying internal energy U changes depending on entropy S and volume V. Now, entropy, in our universe, moves in one direction—that's just how our world works. Entropy tends to increase, says the second Law of Thermodynamics.

Anyway, as a physics major, I think this movie is dealing with reversing entropy and thus, reversing time (or rather, reversing the way things behave). If entropy is reversed, chaos becomes order (bullet and shell becoming one; shattered glass merging). Hence, JDW's saying "inversion". The flow of entropy inverted.

In other words, the inversion of the arrow of entropy, the natural law of our world. But time still moves forward, no one can do anything about that.

EDIT: the diagram with the blue and red arrows at the bottom is just saying if the volume increases, the entropy of the system increases.
Thank you for this, so according to this I've just read:
http://webhome.auburn.edu/~smith01/notes/maxdem.htm

In TENET the possibility to reverse time is the Demon itself making the decisions for the molecules ?! Or I'm wrong :think:
Maxwell's Demon exists in the sense that Schrodinger's Cat exists. Both are not real and physical, just thought experiments.

raimibonn wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:50 pm
rotas wrote:
raimibonn wrote:

Yes. love this! you are one of the few who are looking into the facts rather than just stating their opinions without supporting them. good stuff
I have a rather hot take on the use of "quantum" to describe the film: entropy has little to do with quantum mechanics, and so "quantum cold war" is a bit of a stretch. However, I'm holding this opinion off before I watch the film.
Maybe he's not telling us everything yet. Maybe the "quantum" aspect will be revealed in the movie. I don't know much about this topic, but if it's in the title of the book, then it must be utilized in the movie in some way.

raimibonn wrote:

Very cool. Just spitballing here as to the plot but suppose they are somehow able to locally decrease entropy for specific objects (guns, cars, people) but it comes at the expense of increasing entropy (disorder/chaos) in the surrounding environment (the world) which is the real threat worse than nuclear holocaust. No idea if that even makes sense but JDW as a new kind of protagonist on a new kind of mission to undo that sure would be something...

raimibonn wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:54 pm
aleks989 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:44 pm
raimibonn wrote:

Thank you for this, so according to this I've just read:
http://webhome.auburn.edu/~smith01/notes/maxdem.htm

In TENET the possibility to reverse time is the Demon itself making the decisions for the molecules ?! Or I'm wrong :think:
Maxwell's Demon exists in the sense that Schrodinger's Cat exists. Both are not real and physical, just thought experiments.
Yeah I get that, but I meant in the context of things in which this movie might explore, think of it more in philosophical sense, as in what is the trigger which makes the inversion, the "demon" being the one (in some form in this movie) making it possible in TENET ... just one way of thinking of it really, anyhow it's quite remarkable regardless true or false.

rotas wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:00 pm
raimibonn wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:50 pm
rotas wrote:

Maybe he's not telling us everything yet. Maybe the "quantum" aspect will be revealed in the movie. I don't know much about this topic, but if it's in the title of the book, then it must be utilized in the movie in some way.
Yeah, I really hope Nolan really uses some quantum topics in Tenet, like what he did with general relativity in Interstellar. I hate it when quantum is used nonsensically like in Ant-Man.

So i just saw/heard the most cringe thing ever, the Beyond the Trailer breakdown of the trailer and holy shit, that chick is dumb. It has nothing to do with being a fan of Nolan or not, the way she talks about movie industry in general is so retarded.

She complains about one shot where they enter the building with suitcases(you know the one) and how JDW is not lit enough. Lmao
You should watch it if you want to lyao. It's super cringe

Why So Serious? wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:16 pm
So i just saw/heard the most cringe thing ever, the Beyond the Trailer breakdown of the trailer and holy shit, that chick is dumb. It has nothing to do with being a fan of Nolan or not, the way she talks about movie industry in general is so retarded.

She complains about one shot where they enter the building with suitcases(you know the one) and how JDW is not lit enough. Lmao
Grace Randolph? Yes, she’s a known moron.

Why So Serious? wrote:

I watched that last night. It was awful. Her fanbase is incredibly unintelligent, given that she has no clue what is going on in the whole movie. In her initial reaction her only takeaway was that she liked pattinson's accent. in addition, the reel rejects had an awful review too. i have never understood movie reactions/reviews. 1. if you don't know anything about the movie going in then don't judge. 2. with that being said, they are making themselves look terrible with their lack of information. how are people entertained by these dweebs saying "whoa that looks so cool!" or "that's weird and stupid" without even providing intellectual context? I guess it's how things are nowadays. people like impulsive reactionary information. we've gotta expect things are gonna be like this going forward with tenet hahaha

rotas wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:24 pm
Why So Serious? wrote:

I watched that last night. It was awful. Her fanbase is incredibly unintelligent, given that she has no clue what is going on in the whole movie. In her initial reaction her only takeaway was that she liked pattinson's accent. in addition, the reel rejects had an awful review too. i have never understood movie reactions/reviews. 1. if you don't know anything about the movie going in then don't judge. 2. with that being said, they are making themselves look terrible with their lack of information. how are people entertained by these dweebs saying "whoa that looks so cool!" or "that's weird and stupid" without even providing intellectual context? I guess it's how things are nowadays. people like impulsive reactionary information. we've gotta expect things are gonna be like this going forward with tenet hahaha
I mean, most of these commentators are goons. Lets try not to waste your time with their silliness...