Trailer #3

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on August 12, 2020
User avatar
Posts: 308
Joined: August 2019
How will you guys rate this TENET trailer?

7/10 from me.

User avatar
Posts: 66
Joined: March 2017
speedy117 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:42 am
So there is one thing I would like to point out:
A lot of people have speculated that Robert Pattinson was someone who had experience with "inversion" and that he was gonna show JDW the ropes of it, but after viewing the trailer, it's the opposite. So if Pattinson isn't the experienced teacher, then what is his role?
The Forger, obviously. :D

User avatar
Posts: 462
Joined: December 2010
Location: Japan
blackColumn wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 1:00 am
How will you guys rate this TENET trailer?

7/10 from me.
I don't really grade trailers, but it gave me the same level of excitement and wonder as Inception or TDKR. Definitely above Dunkirk and Interstellar (in terms of raw epic and goosebumps).

Also it's interesting to point out that even after that relatively long trailer, we still have no clue of the underlying story. I have a gut feeling that there is a big act in this movie that hasn't been shown yet.

User avatar
Posts: 2002
Joined: April 2013
if TDK trailer 2 is a 10/10 this is a 8/10

User avatar
Posts: 362
Joined: September 2019
I'll give it 10/10. I thoroughly enjoyed it

User avatar
Posts: 3196
Joined: April 2010
Location: We can't stop here, this is Bat Country!
Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:32 am
this quote thing is getting quite large hehe.
look what i mean is, Warners strategy with turning Nolan into a franchise isnt to make him feel good, or for its own sake, i speculate that in their board meetings they came to the conclusion that to compete in the current cinema climate, one of superhero franchises, they need to have ones of their own, besides the DCEU, Nolan doesnt do franchise movies anymore, so in a marketing sense, they make him the franchise, the brand, Nolan is the saga with 10 other movies, some of them worthier of mention in the trailers, and it has worked with his other films, take Denis Villeneuve for example, his films have not reached the same audience as Chris`s, and i blame the marketing team behind his films, if he is to be really successful in nowdays, they should make him a franchise aswell, (hopefully Dune does well for him, Denis is THE SHIT)
Sam Mendes took note, 1917 was promoted as another film from the director of Skyfall

i hope my point was clearer this time.
Agree with your marketing point, I'm sure that's how WB sees it. But man, now that you say that, it begs the question: How important is it to sell a movie like 2049 using films like what... Prisoners? Enemy? Incendies? I mean it almost sounds pointless in a grand scale not because the movies are bad but because they are so bloody different and in that sense it applies to Nolan. Sure it helps if their previous films were a box office success like Mendes and Skyfall (and this applies to Nolan too) but you know, like I say, it'd be interesting to know what Mr. Nolan thinks of this tactic. I have the impression he's a pretty laid-back guy who would rather a movie like this (an original story) attract the audience on it's own merits rather than having the push to sell it in such a way under his name where they need to put footage from his previous films on the trailer... :D

I mentioned it felt more like an "in memoriam" during that part precisely because it's selling nostalgia of these pictures, with footage that makes it feel as if we are remembering a recently deceased director who's filmography we are celebrating. :?

User avatar
Posts: 43
Joined: December 2019
Oku wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:11 am
Yeah, not digging this trailer, although this is just my first-watch initial reaction and I didn't like Dunkirk's trailer either at first. So yes, I may do a 180 opinion-change my at any time. :D

For one, it's too long. Brevity is the soul of wit, and this trailer has none of that. It's too jumbled. There's no focus. They wanted to show off so much that they lessened the impact of individual moments.

For example, if they had let the scene with Ms. Poesy breathe more and drawn out the "Whoa" moment, it would have been a mic-drop mind-blower. Instead, there's no build-up, no impact, it just cuts to an unrelated random quip.

Speaking of quips, the humor didn't land for me. Go back to the 'bookend humor' segments of Inception or TDKR, and they are mildly funny. The one here is not up to that level, not to mention the fact that they use it to just nonchalantly reveal one of the biggest setpieces without any buildup or fanfare.

And the dialogue in general throughout this trailer is surprisingly...generic. Now you can say that it's because it's a trailer and there's no context, etc. but I don't remember the dialogue in Dunkirk's trailers being this cliched.

Finally, this is the biggest one that made my heart sink: this looks like a generic Bond movie now, albeit with (fascinating) time-manipulation elements sprinkled on top. A white male Russian villain with a comical Russian accent...bruh. What year is it?

Shoutouts all the Bond fans, you love what you love, but I've never been able to get into Bond no matter how many times I've tried to watch any of the Bond films, and seeing that TENET is basically 90% Bond is personally... :blank:

Maybe the trailer was cut this way for the Fortnite audience. Maybe I'll change my mind after a bit, like I did with Dunkirk. I certainly hope so.
Hahahhah what a dumb comment..

Im sure all spy action movie due to this guy views is 90% bond...LOL

I dont know how TF this guy see JDW character resembles to bond character..

This movie has a white russian villain is because the theme is about cold war which involve russia

Why a russian white male is problem for you??

Do you think a black/latinos/asian man represent russian villain is fit your agenda in nowdays movie??
Last edited by JohnnyTheKid on May 22nd, 2020, 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posts: 121
Joined: August 2019
I love it,
But I'm worried that his biggest film yet (like he called it) could be received with lukewarm reception or panned. I don't think everyone will like the trailer at least, so much generic dialogue like why

Kenneth Branagh was bad wow, here goes my hopes of seeing a great villain again.
All the rumors regarding Robert's character were wrong.
Elizabeth looks stunning, I hope she is not the predictable female character
JDW looked better here.

And I'm reading Bond here and I don't know what's so great about those movies. Not a fan

User avatar
Posts: 59
Joined: December 2019
Lincoln wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 1:40 am
I love it,
But I'm worried that his biggest film yet (like he called it) could be received with lukewarm reception or panned. I don't think everyone will like the trailer at least, so much generic dialogue.

Kenneth Branagh was bad wow, here goes my hopes of seeing a great villain again.
All the rumors regarding Pattinson's character were wrong.

And I'm reading Bond here and I don't know what's so great about those movies. Not a fan
So one line of dialogue and your mind is already set on him being a shitty villain, what kind of dumb logic is that!? Lol

User avatar
Posts: 462
Joined: December 2010
Location: Japan
As a non-native English speaker, Branagh's accent is not shocking and does not sound out of place.

Pay in mind that this movie won't be watched by Americans (and other english speakers) only. 90% of the European, Asian, South American or African market have no fucking idea who Branagh is and won't make the connection with Dunkirk or Jack Ryan.

We aren't special snowflakes boys, this movie is not made for NF only.

Post Reply