Trailer #3

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on August 12, 2020
User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 78
Joined: May 2020
speedy117 wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 11:48 pm
Holy fuck so many of you guys are just a bunch of whiners. Here I am enjoying some new material after months of nothing, and people are on here picking everything apart and complaining. Idc if you state your opinion but enough with the complaining.
exactly. This trailer was supposed to be a sense of optimism and just something new to enjoy during such horrible times. Even if you hated it to a degree or weren't a fan, don't go so out of the way to sour the moods of everyone else who had a good time.

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3454
Joined: May 2012
Yeah, not digging this trailer, although this is just my first-watch initial reaction and I didn't like Dunkirk's trailer either at first. So yes, I may do a 180 opinion-change my at any time. :D

For one, it's too long. Brevity is the soul of wit, and this trailer has none of that. It's too jumbled. There's no focus. They wanted to show off so much that they lessened the impact of individual moments.

For example, if they had let the scene with Ms. Poesy breathe more and drawn out the "Whoa" moment, it would have been a mic-drop mind-blower. Instead, there's no build-up, no impact, it just cuts to an unrelated random quip.

Speaking of quips, the humor didn't land for me. Go back to the 'bookend humor' segments of Inception or TDKR, and they are mildly funny. The one here is not up to that level, not to mention the fact that they use it to just nonchalantly reveal one of the biggest setpieces without any buildup or fanfare.

And the dialogue in general throughout this trailer is surprisingly...generic. Now you can say that it's because it's a trailer and there's no context, etc. but I don't remember the dialogue in Dunkirk's trailers being this cliched.

Finally, this is the biggest one that made my heart sink: this looks like a generic Bond movie now, albeit with (fascinating) time-manipulation elements sprinkled on top. A white male Russian villain with a comical Russian accent...bruh. What year is it?

Shoutouts all the Bond fans, you love what you love, but I've never been able to get into Bond no matter how many times I've tried to watch any of the Bond films, and seeing that TENET is basically 90% Bond is personally... :blank:

Maybe the trailer was cut this way for the Fortnite audience. Maybe I'll change my mind after a bit, like I did with Dunkirk. I certainly hope so.

User avatar
Posts: 3196
Joined: April 2010
Location: We can't stop here, this is Bat Country!
Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 11:43 pm
OVERMAN wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 11:27 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 11:12 pm

aside from the fact that i disagree with everything you said, the nolan banners are absolutley Warner`s idea, the fact is, the only things that really sells today, are franchises, the only real way to compete is turning Nolan into the franchise, and it has been a success.
now you can resume your yelling at the clouds, friendo.
How great is it that if it is indeed Warner's idea, they don't really seem to have enough faith in the movie's own merits to captivate an audience so they have to turn Nolan "into a franchise" like you say. I'm sure Mr. Nolan would be delighted to know he is now "the franchise" like you point out and that the distribution company feels they need to remind people it comes from the director of TDK after all these years. :D

Also nice to know that if you read an opinion that's opposite to yours, it's now "yelling at the clouds". You did reply after all, dummy. :D
See the thing with franchises, is that they are multiple movies, you cant create one around nolan by promoting just the current film, you need to create context, also TDK trilogy is such a cultural phenomenon that WB`s would never let the opportunity to remind people that Nolan directed it go.

I also love how you went straight to "dummy", i never though you where dumb for "yelling at the clouds", i just thought your where confusing your opinion of the trailer with an objective assessment of its merit, you label it as generic and crap, but only your opinion is.
Why are you obsessed with the idea of a franchise?

I have no problem with WB using the director's name to sell the film, it's perfectly fine for people to go to watch a film based on the merits of the director, I have a problem with the way the did it here, using footage from the movies, which, in the context of a short trailer, is bloody distracting. People still retain the ability to read you know, a simple card saying "from the director of TDK" would've been sufficient if WB really needs to do it. They did just that for Inception, Interstellar, etc. It worked fine, it wasn't necessary to do something that looks more like an "in memoriam" montage...

It's obnoxious, unnecessary and there was a point where they seemed more focused on reminding people it is a movie from Christopher Nolan than you know, putting together a trailer that sells the stuff from the movie itself, which, like I said didn't seem impressive at all because of the bad editing.

And please tell me if you agree that Chris Nolan would love your idea of him being the franchise. I ask because he seems to be the kind of guy who said: enough comic book movies I'm off to do original films, where I'm gonna put some effort into writing original ideas and turning them into big budget pictures instead if you know... Depending on the franchise gimmick. I 100% agree with you this was WB doing but you know... This one just doesn't seem to have the Nolan approved vibe most of his movie trailers had, more like an uninspired trailer house feeling (which I do consider crap), might be wrong, just a feeling.

User avatar
Posts: 25999
Joined: June 2011
Vader182 wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 10:47 pm
nothing on earth is funnier than nolan naming a kid coop cooper in interstellar
His name is Joseph Cooper...?

User avatar
Posts: 2002
Joined: April 2013
always assumed coop was just a nickname in reference to their grandpa's nickname? that seems obvious

User avatar
Posts: 420
Joined: November 2018
OVERMAN wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:20 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 11:43 pm
OVERMAN wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 11:27 pm


How great is it that if it is indeed Warner's idea, they don't really seem to have enough faith in the movie's own merits to captivate an audience so they have to turn Nolan "into a franchise" like you say. I'm sure Mr. Nolan would be delighted to know he is now "the franchise" like you point out and that the distribution company feels they need to remind people it comes from the director of TDK after all these years. :D

Also nice to know that if you read an opinion that's opposite to yours, it's now "yelling at the clouds". You did reply after all, dummy. :D
See the thing with franchises, is that they are multiple movies, you cant create one around nolan by promoting just the current film, you need to create context, also TDK trilogy is such a cultural phenomenon that WB`s would never let the opportunity to remind people that Nolan directed it go.

I also love how you went straight to "dummy", i never though you where dumb for "yelling at the clouds", i just thought your where confusing your opinion of the trailer with an objective assessment of its merit, you label it as generic and crap, but only your opinion is.
Why are you obsessed with the idea of a franchise?

I have no problem with WB using the director's name to sell the film, it's perfectly fine for people to go to watch a film based on the merits of the director, I have a problem with the way the did it here, using footage from the movies, which, in the context of a short trailer, is bloody distracting. People still retain the ability to read you know, a simple card saying "from the director of TDK" would've been sufficient if WB really needs to do it. They did just that for Inception, Interstellar, etc. It worked fine, it wasn't necessary to do something that looks more like an "in memoriam" montage...

It's obnoxious, unnecessary and there was a point where they seemed more focused on reminding people it is a movie from Christopher Nolan than you know, putting together a trailer that sells the stuff from the movie itself, which, like I said didn't seem impressive at all because of the bad editing.

And please tell me if you agree that Chris Nolan would love your idea of him being the franchise. I ask because he seems to be the kind of guy who said: enough comic book movies I'm off to do original films, where I'm gonna put some effort into writing original ideas and turning them into big budget pictures instead if you know... Depending on the franchise gimmick. I 100% agree with you this was WB doing but you know... This one just doesn't seem to have the Nolan approved vibe most of his movie trailers had, more like an uninspired trailer house feeling (which I do consider crap), might be wrong, just a feeling.
this quote thing is getting quite large hehe.
look what i mean is, Warners strategy with turning Nolan into a franchise isnt to make him feel good, or for its own sake, i speculate that in their board meetings they came to the conclusion that to compete in the current cinema climate, one of superhero franchises, they need to have ones of their own, besides the DCEU, Nolan doesnt do franchise movies anymore, so in a marketing sense, they make him the franchise, the brand, Nolan is the saga with 10 other movies, some of them worthier of mention in the trailers, and it has worked with his other films, take Denis Villeneuve for example, his films have not reached the same audience as Chris`s, and i blame the marketing team behind his films, if he is to be really successful in nowdays, they should make him a franchise aswell, (hopefully Dune does well for him, Denis is THE SHIT)
Sam Mendes took note, 1917 was promoted as another film from the director of Skyfall

i hope my point was clearer this time.

User avatar
Posts: 362
Joined: September 2019
So there is one thing I would like to point out:
A lot of people have speculated that Robert Pattinson was someone who had experience with "inversion" and that he was gonna show JDW the ropes of it, but after viewing the trailer, it's the opposite. So if Pattinson isn't the experienced teacher, then what is his role?

Posts: 142
Joined: December 2019
Oku wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:11 am
Yeah, not digging this trailer, although this is just my first-watch initial reaction and I didn't like Dunkirk's trailer either at first. So yes, I may do a 180 opinion-change my at any time. :D

For one, it's too long. Brevity is the soul of wit, and this trailer has none of that. It's too jumbled. There's no focus. They wanted to show off so much that they lessened the impact of individual moments.

For example, if they had let the scene with Ms. Poesy breathe more and drawn out the "Whoa" moment, it would have been a mic-drop mind-blower. Instead, there's no build-up, no impact, it just cuts to an unrelated random quip.

Speaking of quips, the humor didn't land for me. Go back to the 'bookend humor' segments of Inception or TDKR, and they are mildly funny. The one here is not up to that level, not to mention the fact that they use it to just nonchalantly reveal one of the biggest setpieces without any buildup or fanfare.

And the dialogue in general throughout this trailer is surprisingly...generic. Now you can say that it's because it's a trailer and there's no context, etc. but I don't remember the dialogue in Dunkirk's trailers being this cliched.

Finally, this is the biggest one that made my heart sink: this looks like a generic Bond movie now, albeit with (fascinating) time-manipulation elements sprinkled on top. A white male Russian villain with a comical Russian accent...bruh. What year is it?

Shoutouts all the Bond fans, you love what you love, but I've never been able to get into Bond no matter how many times I've tried to watch any of the Bond films, and seeing that TENET is basically 90% Bond is personally... :blank:

Maybe the trailer was cut this way for the Fortnite audience. Maybe I'll change my mind after a bit, like I did with Dunkirk. I certainly hope so.
sorry but I'm going to disagree with you on this completely. there is so much more to the tenet universe that you're missing. have you been reading these forums for the past 9 months? sure the movie may have some bond inspired elements but there is no way that this movie is like bond completely. he pulled some (keyword some) inspiration and elements from bond to make it an original piece of work.

User avatar
Posts: 3196
Joined: April 2010
Location: We can't stop here, this is Bat Country!
Oku wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:11 am
Yeah, not digging this trailer, although this is just my first-watch initial reaction and I didn't like Dunkirk's trailer either at first. So yes, I may do a 180 opinion-change my at any time. :D

For one, it's too long. Brevity is the soul of wit, and this trailer has none of that. It's too jumbled. There's no focus. They wanted to show off so much that they lessened the impact of individual moments.

For example, if they had let the scene with Ms. Poesy breathe more and drawn out the "Whoa" moment, it would have been a mic-drop mind-blower. Instead, there's no build-up, no impact, it just cuts to an unrelated random quip.

Speaking of quips, the humor didn't land for me. Go back to the 'bookend humor' segments of Inception or TDKR, and they are mildly funny. The one here is not up to that level, not to mention the fact that they use it to just nonchalantly reveal one of the biggest setpieces without any buildup or fanfare.

And the dialogue in general throughout this trailer is surprisingly...generic. Now you can say that it's because it's a trailer and there's no context, etc. but I don't remember the dialogue in Dunkirk's trailers being this cliched.

Finally, this is the biggest one that made my heart sink: this looks like a generic Bond movie now, albeit with (fascinating) time-manipulation elements sprinkled on top. A white male Russian villain with a comical Russian accent...bruh. What year is it?

Shoutouts all the Bond fans, you love what you love, but I've never been able to get into Bond no matter how many times I've tried to watch any of the Bond films, and seeing that TENET is basically 90% Bond is personally... :blank:

Maybe the trailer was cut this way for the Fortnite audience. Maybe I'll change my mind after a bit, like I did with Dunkirk. I certainly hope so.
Yes. Excellent assessment. It feels as if there was a trailer house person commissioned to do the trailer and the instruction was: Just look at Nolan's other movie trailers and do it like that" This is why the humor doesn't land. They want to end the trailer with the ironic joke line but like you say, there was no build up or punch from the action shot.

And I don't even mind the bond feeling, that's part of Nolan's tone and he loves his Majesty's Secret Service, globe-trotting thing. Problem is, like you mentioned, how generic it feels. It would've been nice if they had focused on the nuances of the time reversing action and the basic idea behind it instead of just making it safe and boring.

User avatar
Posts: 462
Joined: December 2010
Location: Japan
I'll just ignore the usual attention wh**** that only show themselves every few years after trailers, but can we just take a moment to appreciate the best shot in the trailer:
Pattinson opening the coffee thermos with a *click*

Post Reply