Trailer #1

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
My very, vey, very first thoughts on this were about something 'meta'. That the movie is going to be somehow philosophical.

'Afterlife', 'something worse', 'looking at the world in a new way', 'feel it' and besides that definition of the title, the Sator Square, India - my European stereotypes about India are somehow religious/philosophical.

Sure it can means:
'afterlife' - figuratively
(Or not? Or not EXACTLY from some Indian/philosophical pov - maybe 'The Truth' lies between. Or I'm reading too much in that line.)

'something worse' - what can be worse than wiping us humans of?
(or maybe idk we're not just 'flesh' for example?)

'looking...' - again philo-vibes or maybe just JDW(?) haven't faced some mechanisms, politics, economy, cruelty of people.

'feel it' - it doesn't need an explanation I belive.
Last line reminded me of the 'Interstellar controversy' (of course there is none but some little people got confused)

I didn't come up with that, you people talked about it some time ago more or less.
But this trailer and this 'key-words' just triggered my mind and subconscious.

I think in case of Nolan it can be either way :)
Excited af :gonf:

Looking at all kind of fanbases, from Star Wars to James Bond to Tarantino-stans, its always the "fans" that are the most vocal critics (or nitpicky), yet they always** complain everyone else is.

Same here, of course.

Artemis wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 6:17 am
Maximillian wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 6:14 am
Artemis wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 6:11 am
What are y'all talking about? Critics love Nolan and they always have. There is no need to hate critics. Anytime they see a movie, they wanna love it as much as you want to love it. Watching movies is their job and they want to have a good day at work.

Some of y'all need to chill.
Ah they didn't love Interstellar.
Oh you mean 72% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes Interstellar? 74 Metacritic score Interstellar?
Ahhhhhh ok...? I said "Love" meaing universal praise ala The Dark Knight, Dunkirk. Critics were divided on Interstellar. Not saying it was a bad movie by any means, just saying Critics have had gripes with Nolan.

Maximillian wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 6:25 am
Artemis wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 6:17 am
Maximillian wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 6:14 am

Ah they didn't love Interstellar.
Oh you mean 72% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes Interstellar? 74 Metacritic score Interstellar?
Ahhhhhh ok...? I said "Love" meaing universal praise ala The Dark Knight, Dunkirk. Critics were divided on Interstellar. Not saying it was a bad movie by any means, just saying Critics have had gripes with Nolan.
70+ percentages isn't divided? Majority still liked it a lot.

I can't be the only one who thinks that "Time Runs Out" has a perfectly legitimate meaning in the English language. I really see no problem there...

Yes. People might have confused it in the sense that it is a statement / fact or principle.

Dogs fight. Cows graze. Time runs out.

But it is actually said in a present narrative sense.

Something happens. They look at each other. Time runs out.

Nolan is one of extremely few directors making movies that does extremely well in theaters and also consistently pleases the critics. A 74 on metacritic is a positive review, and the total average metascore for all of his movies is higher than some other highly thought of directors like Tarantino and Wes Anderson, which he still absolutely crushes at the box office. And btw, Inception also has a metascore of 74. Why aren't you calling that a critical failure?

The only notable director similar to Nolan (around same age and about same amount of films) that has a much higher average than him, is Paul Thomas Anderson. And James Cameron is probably the only close comparison to Nolan considering both box office and critical acclaim.

Sure, the biggest box office hits of Nolan were superhero films. But let's not forget that they are some of the highest rated comic book films of all time. And it's not like his original films does bad. All three of Inception, Interstellar and Dunkirk was the worldwide highest grossing original live action movie of their year. And Dunkirk was universally thought of as one of the best movies of the year by critics.

It's true that we all speculate and guess here. But to those of you who has already predicted that Tenet will either fail critically or financially, your odds are pretty fucking shit, pal.
Last edited by Sanchez on December 20th, 2019, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okay y’all since this sub is getting all weird now, time for me to head out lol. Hopefully I was at least somewhat helpful during the wait for prologue/trailer.

Oku
Top critics (the ones that fall under Rotten Tomatoes top critics and are on Metacritic) love him and are very generous with his films.

But back on track, does anyone find the car-flip segment of the trailer to be very weirdly edited?

I've watched it over and over, and I can't make 'physical' sense of it, from the lack of an (establishing wide) shot showing which car our two guys are in, to the fact that the cars are constantly switching positions and orientations, to Mr. Washington's eyes/line of sight not match up with where he should be looking, etc.

IDK it just seems really confusing.

Is it just a case of the scene being chopped up/edited down for the trailer?

But to those of you who has already predicted that Tenet will either fail critically or finantially, your odds are pretty _________ ____ pal.
I would be pleasantly surprised if Tenet is loved by critics.

But tbh, at this point a sizeable chunk among critics and audience actively dislike Nolan. They are biased. Older audience especially so.

does anyone find the car-flip segment of the trailer to be very weirdly edited?

I've watched it over and over, and I can't make 'physical' sense of it, from the lack of an (establishing wide) shot showing which car our two guys are in, to the fact that the cars are constantly switching positions and orientations, to Mr. Washington's eyes/line of sight not match up with where he should be looking, etc.
Exactly my thoughts.