Tenet's Cinematography

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Van Hoytema is the DOP, with this being the third collaboration between him and Nolan. They're shooting on regular 65mm and 15/70mm IMAX film again, like they did with Dunkirk.

Judging by the set photos we've seen, they seemed to have opted for a more steadicam/dolly approach rather than a whole lot of handheld, compared to especially Interstellar and Dunkirk, too. I guess those heavy 65mm camera's have taken their toll on Van Hoytema or, judging by the teaser trailer, perhaps handheld isn't the way to go when
they shoot things "backwards"
Does anybody know if the 65mm footage for Tenet will be shot anamorphic or spherical? They said that with Dunkirk, they went with spherical for the regular 65mm to better match the IMAX shot footage. I don't know the exact numbers, but Dunkirk had a whole lot of IMAX. It helped that the pilots often had their mouths covered or that the sound could be recorded from the inside of the cockpits (like with inside the helmets in Interstellar) and it helped overall that Dunkirk had the least amount of dialogue of any Nolan feature film.

It seems like Tenet will be much heavier on the dialogue so I wouldn't be surprised if the 65mm and IMAX will balance each other out this time.

As for new ways of pushing the use of large formats, like using the IMAX camera's upside down to shoot from the pilots POV in Dunkirk amongst other things, I think the
"backwards" shooting is going to be a huge part of the challenge and I also think we're in for the most amount of underwater scenes/action in any Nolan film yet.

I don’t think mixing 65mm anamorphic with IMAX would work. Definitely spherical just like Dunkirk.

I thought i saw a picture of Hoyte doing handheld work for Tenet, but cant remember where, theres still a lot of unseen set footage, so they very well may be some handheld work we havent seen.

I think that Tenet will have more "smooth" cinematography because the style of the movie. Interstellar had more handheld shots, firstly becasue of the tight spaces they were and secondly i think they wanted to make the viewer a part of the scene which a handheld cinematography works perfectly to convey thаt feeling. As for Dunkirk, what better way to portray chaos than a handheld camera and a lot of movement and for some moment shaky cam. Thats my take on it tho, maybe im wrong. Anyway i can't wait to see one more trailer and then the full IMAX glory of it. :gonf:

Nicolaslabra wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 11:57 am
I thought i saw a picture of Hoyte doing handheld work for Tenet, but cant remember where, theres still a lot of unseen set footage, so they very well may be some handheld work we havent seen.
Oh I haven't seen that one. You're right when it comes to there being a majority of unseen footage lol, we know so little of it

Taking the dust of this thread, confirmed handheld cinematography is not gone, from what i saw in the trailer, perhaps less than in dunkirk, maybe on par with interstellar, we will know next year, it looks impecable, grand in scale and elegant, Hoyte is killing it ! :gonf:

the shots at sea are amazing

My fav scene is the ship scene

Even the bootleg trailer looks fantastic LOL
And I cant believe we have seen only a little of the "big" scenes we know were shot and it already looks breathtaking.

Collector03601 wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 3:13 pm
Even the bootleg trailer looks fantastic LOL
And I cant believe we have seen only a little of the "big" scenes we know were shot and it already looks breathtaking.
wow