Tenet's Cinematography

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
speedy117 wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 11:49 pm
I mean what competition does he have?

Mank

hot take: yet another nolan movie with a narrow, if still very beautiful, color grade that honestly makes me miss wally. wonder what he'd have done with it.

remember, nolan's red and green colorblind, so he relies a LOT on his cinematographers and colorist teams for the look of the movie.

-Vader

Why does he not have an objection to horrible color grading in this movie?

Vader182 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:03 am
hot take: yet another nolan movie with a narrow, if still very beautiful, color grade that honestly makes me miss wally. wonder what he'd have done with it.

remember, nolan's red and green colorblind, so he relies a LOT on his cinematographers and colorist teams for the look of the movie.

-Vader
Seconded.
Last edited by blackColumn on May 22nd, 2020, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 9:11 pm
There’s so much to unpack.

Hoyte better win best cinematography for this.
Yea, this cinematography is unreal...

blackColumn wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:05 am
Why does he not have an objection to horrible color grading in this movie?
Remember trailers never got the final grade in all of the other films, both interstellar and dunkirk looked different than from the trailers.

Even wally had that, Inception looked wayyyyy different in the trailers (i kinda like the raw vision 3 look they had compared to the very warm tones in the blu rays)

I remember really disliking how Dunkirk looked on trailers and TV spots (mostly due to that oversaturated yellow filter), but the final product is completely different for me, I still believe Dunkirk has the best cinematography of any Nolan film.

So I'm not worried about how Tenet looks right now, even though I think it already looks good. Color grading reminds of Interstellar, which should be obvious of course.

I don't particularly miss Wally, although I also usually prefer a more natural look to films.

What I do wish though, is Nolan to change the production designer sometime, Crowley is great but I hope Nolan and Dyas (who did Inception) work together again someday.

Innovator wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:52 am
I remember really disliking how Dunkirk looked on trailers and TV spots (mostly due to that oversaturated yellow filter), but the final product is completely different for me, I still believe Dunkirk has the best cinematography of any Nolan film.

So I'm not worried about how Tenet looks right now, even though I think it already looks good. Color grading reminds of Interstellar, which should be obvious of course.

I don't particularly miss Wally, although I also usually prefer a more natural look to films.

What I do wish though, is Nolan to change the production designer sometime, Crowley is great but I hope Nolan and Dyas (who did Inception) work together again someday.
Guy Hendrix Dyas was indeed the shit. Along with TDK, the best production design of Nolan's movies. The interiors in Interstellar were grubby and flat, in how they were designed and lit imo. Even if they're meant to be utilitarian and brutalist, they could have also been beautiful.

-Vader

I kind of disagree with some of you.

I really dig the look of Tenet color-wise. They are definitely pushing towards a warm palette with a little bit of green. For sure we cannot judge these since trailers usually are off a bit from the final grade.

For Dunkirk, I actually really liked the way it looked in the teaser and first trailer. Almost the opposite of Tenet. The shots were balanced and had a good amount of reds which gave it a very pleasing natural look.

Can’t remember what it looked like in IMAX but they pushed the yellows in the highlight / teal in the shadows too far. Most shots looked fine but some had (excuse the expression) piss-yellow highlights. It suited the air sea and air sequences well. The contrast between the warm and golden highlights and mids with the gorgeous blue hues of the sea.