Tenet's Cinematography

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Nicolaslabra wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:47 pm
I see Following gets no cinematography love, but also Quay is nowhere to be seen here, Nolan himself shot it on 35mm, and it looks absolutely beautiful, its very Pfister-esque too, even a bit Mallick like, all natural light, all handheld, no unnecessary camera moves, i love it
I need to rewatch Following. I've only seen it once, and I think I may have actually still been in high school, which is strange to think about. :facepalm:

Nicolaslabra wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:47 pm
I see Following gets no cinematography love, but also Quay is nowhere to be seen here, Nolan himself shot it on 35mm, and it looks absolutely beautiful, its very Pfister-esque too, even a bit Mallick like, all natural light, all handheld, no unnecessary camera moves, i love it
Off topic here: Not really about cinematography, but most of makeup and costume design. Because in Following, I find it hard to differentiate the two guys characters once they got a similar haircut...

dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 8:06 pm
Off topic here: Not really about cinematography, but most of makeup and costume design. Because in Following, I find it hard to differentiate the two guys characters once they got a similar haircut...
I actually remember thinking this when I watched the movie. I feel like that's kind of the point though, right? They're supposed to look similar.

marshallmurphy wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 8:09 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 8:06 pm
I actually remember thinking this when I watched the movie. I feel like that's kind of the point though, right? They're supposed to look similar.
I'm not too sure if them looking similar is part of the plot though. It's been a long time since I watched the movie. But I am pretty sure it's not. It's a bit annoying because it makes the movie harder to follow.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 8:18 pm
I'm not too sure if them looking similar is part of the plot though. It's been a long time since I watched the movie. But I am pretty sure it's not. It's a bit annoying because it makes the movie harder to follow.
It's been forever since I watched the film as well, and it did make the movie hard for me to follow at the time. Following Following was very hard. Lol. I think if I rewatched it now it would not be a problem though. The two men actually do have very different facial structures. I think my high school brain was just not paying enough attention.

marshallmurphy wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 8:24 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 8:18 pm
It's been forever since I watched the film as well, and it did make the movie hard for me to follow at the time. Following Following was very hard. Lol. I think if I rewatched it now it would not be a problem though. The two men actually do have very different facial structures. I think my high school brain was just not paying enough attention.
I didn't watch it in the cinemas, but on my PC, so my experience may be skewed. The characters also speak in a rather monotone and quaint British accent which makes it harder to follow.

I mean some Nolan's movie had minor issues with comprehensibility. In Interstellar, 'plan A' was so vague when it was first mentioned, and you have to wait for almost 2 hours later to know what it means at the ending. I mean this is probably deliberately planned in the script but it kidda frustrating for the audience. In TDKR, the plot is simple enough but Bane's and Batman's voice can be hard to hear at times. In Dunkirk, I could barely catch a word but I think that's the point.

From what I know, Nolan only test screens his movie to a private group of people who are generally industry insiders or close family members. He doesn't let the public preview his movie who can tell him that certain parts are hard to follow.

speedy117 wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 11:49 pm
I mean what competition does he have?
This year Hoyte has a good shot of winning. His main competitors though:
- Dune
- Mank
- The French Dispatch
- Da Five Bloods
- No Time to Die
- Top Gun: Maverick
Last edited by intersteIIarx on June 7th, 2020, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intersteIIarx wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:32 pm
speedy117 wrote:
- Dune
- Mank
- The French Dispatch
- No Time to Die
Mank will be a black and white film if i recall correctly, i`ve always been a big fan of Cronenweth`s work with Fincher, i would love him to win, if the film deserves it off course, he is one of the only ones to really make me like the image of the RED cameras, it still looks digital, but it adds to it in a really cool way.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:43 pm
intersteIIarx wrote:
speedy117 wrote:
- Dune
- Mank
- The French Dispatch
- No Time to Die
Mank will be a black and white film if i recall correctly, i`ve always been a big fan of Cronenweth`s work with Fincher, i would love him to win, if the film deserves it off course, he is one of the only ones to really make me like the image of the RED cameras, it still looks digital, but it adds to it in a really cool way.
Yep in B & W. Interestingly though, Cronenweth isn't the DP in Mank. It's first timer: Erik Messerschmidt. So that might bode well for Hoyte whom came runner up for Dunkirk back at the 2017 Oscars.

intersteIIarx wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:48 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:43 pm
intersteIIarx wrote:

- Dune
- Mank
- The French Dispatch
- No Time to Die
Yep in B & W. Interestingly though, Cronenweth isn't the DP in Mank. It's first timer: Erik Messerschmidt. So that might bode well for Hoyte whom came runner up for Dunkirk back at the 2017 Oscars.
Oh wow, didnt know THAT, thats a bummer, but im still interested.