Tenet's Cinematography

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
"I still believe Dunkirk has the best cinematography of any Nolan film."

Me too

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:55 am

Me too
Yeah definitely.
Also, Tenet and Dunkirk are his most "shot on location" films since Memento and Following, when he didn't have the budget to build anything in a studio, therefore he really has to work almost for every shot with natural light.
It became an obvious issue when they had to hide in Dunkirk how much the weather changed during the shooting, which is probalby why the first act on the beach doesn't have much colour. The few days they had sun look gorgeous like when Branagh sees the Red cross ship drown, or during the first bombing sequence. They had much better weather for the scenes in the sea and they look wonderful.

Dunkirk is easily the best looking Nolan movie. Was just unlucky that Wally was up against the goat that year

Sanchez wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:23 am
Dunkirk is easily the best looking Nolan movie. Was just unlucky that Wally was up against the goat that year
Hoyte*

This might look even better than Dunkirk and it seems to have a lot of color variety.
Nolan movies with Wally looked good with some great shots, but they where inconsistent, with Hoyte they look great start to finish. Imo

MorenoVL wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:25 am
Hoyte*
Of course, my bad

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:55 am

Me too
For me it's:
1. Interstellar
2. Inception
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Dark Knight
5. The Prestige
6. Dunkirk
7. Insomnia
8. Memento
9. Batman Begins
10. Following (obviously :P )

Where places 1-4 all have fantastic cinematography. 5 is very underrated and almost up there with top 4. 6 and 7 are really good. 8 and 9 are ok but are lacking. And 10 is a budget movie.

So far Tenet looks like it might set around number 7 or 8... but who knows, maybe it will jump to 1 once we see the whole movie.

Dunkirk
Interstellar
Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Memento
Inception
The Prestige
Insomnia
Batman Begins
Following

For me, Dunkirk wins easily. Interstellar is beautiful as well. I love the way IMAX looks, which I think is why I ranked all of Nolan’s films that were shot on IMAX above the ones that were just shot on 35mm film. It has a more natural look that I prefer.

Based off all the content we have so far, I think I’ll end up putting Tenet under Interstellar. The trailers are cropped to the 2.35 aspect ratio though, and this makes all the difference to me, as I highly prefer the more open 1.85 or 1.78 aspect ratio that we get on the Blu-ray of Nolan’s movies.

Forum Pro
Y'all also need to recognize that cinematography isn't just about what movie looks the best, it's more about how the cinematic language captured by the DP suits the specific movie they're working on. The angles, the lighting, the choice of lens, handheld vs. stabilized and color grading are all more important to the cinematography than just a lovely image. Interstellar might be his most visually pleasing movie to look at, but movies are a visual medium, and Dunkirk relies entirely on the visuals. It's the most visually dependent film of his.

I predict Tenet ranking amongst the top five because obviously we will get some incredibly beautiful imagery, but the methodology behind how these forwards/backwards scenes were shot will be mightily impressive.

Take this for another example. The Jason Bourne franchise has excellent cinematography. It's unique, handheld done right and thrusts the viewers into that dirty, frenetic world. Sure it might not have amazing visuals, but cinematography as a whole is top notch.

I see Following gets no cinematography love, but also Quay is nowhere to be seen here, Nolan himself shot it on 35mm, and it looks absolutely beautiful, its very Pfister-esque too, even a bit Mallick like, all natural light, all handheld, no unnecessary camera moves, i love it