Tenet's Cinematography

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 7:47 pm
speedy117 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 7:07 pm
What was your guys favorite shot? I've only seen the film once so this is probably gonna change but from what I remember
I really liked the scene with Sator and the Protagonist at Sator's turnstile. The red and blue colors looked amazing. I know this is more like a scene than one particular shot but I can't remember anything else that stood out to me.
The one that fucked with me the most was the building that assembled itself and then its top blew off right after.

One more time, I never saw this shot before watching it in theater because I didn't see any images beforehand. This whole movie was a complete mindfuck and gave me a headache for all the right reasons, this shot in particular.

I have no idea how Nolan filmed this thing, but kudos to him.
I really want to know how they shot the inverted hallway fight scene. It wasn't that big of a scene in terms of scale but it just blew my mind.

speedy117 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
speedy117 wrote:
What was your guys favorite shot? I've only seen the film once so this is probably gonna change but from what I remember
I really liked the scene with Sator and the Protagonist at Sator's turnstile. The red and blue colors looked amazing. I know this is more like a scene than one particular shot but I can't remember anything else that stood out to me.
The one that fucked with me the most was the building that assembled itself and then its top blew off right after.

One more time, I never saw this shot before watching it in theater because I didn't see any images beforehand. This whole movie was a complete mindfuck and gave me a headache for all the right reasons, this shot in particular.

I really want to know how they shot the inverted hallway fight scene. It wasn't that big of a scene in terms of scale but it just blew my mind.
That blew my mind once I know what was happening. I gotta know too, but furthermore I gotta watch that moment again, because I gotta watch this movie again!

KEM
speedy117 wrote:
The Eagle Mountain shot when it showing red team running and there’s an absolutely massive explosion in the back with smoke across the whole screen and it goes in reverse and the flames and smoke suck back into the ground, blew my mind

KEM wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 9:26 pm
speedy117 wrote:
The Eagle Mountain shot when it showing red team running and there’s an absolutely massive explosion in the back with smoke across the whole screen and it goes in reverse and the flames and smoke suck back into the ground, blew my mind
That whole final battle was just crazy. Granted I couldn't comprehend all of it, it was all visually appealing.

The shot where the SUV was driving at them in reverse, hit the car mirror, which returned to it's repaired state instead of breaking. I wish that hadn't been in the trailer but it amazed me nonetheless.

Also the wide arial shot of the red team running around the right side of the massive circle above the turnstile while the blue team is running backwards around the left.

speedy117 wrote:
What was your guys favorite shot?
Mine is the bird's eye view of the trucks in place. The scale and tension, such a nolanesque shot.

Also, although this one must be gif to be fully appreciated,
the reverse explosion when the blue team arrives at the hypercenter. The spiral smoke moving in reverse is surreal to look at.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
I believe they said they shot
two identical buildings with respective explosions and then combine them together in post.

raimibonn wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 9:34 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
I believe they said they shot
two identical buildings with respective explosions and then combine them together in post.
I just mean the whole movie. The amount of planning to execute this properly on as little takes as possible must have been absolutely insane, especially since you have to reconfigure everything should you grab a new take.

My least fave of the Nolan/Hoytema's collabs. Still an often beautiful film, but i'm guessing a lot of the work here went into how to do the inversion sequences? Also think the vastly different locations don't lend the film to having a clear "look" whereas Interstellar/Dunkirk are very zoned in on their locations and delight in exploring them. This is so much quicker paced with tons of different locations. Maybe Pfister would've done better here, but there's too many variables.

Inception and Dunkirk remain the best looking Nolan films.

Nolan isn't asking his DP only to light scenes. Nolan doesn't storyboard much, and discusses camera-angle with the DP, on the day of shooting and also whilst preparing the film.
In the making-of video, Nolan says he discussed camera angle/blocking with HvH and Lame, so, considering how Nolan's directing has improved in his last two films, I think that's why he chooses to work with HvH.