Tenet's Cinematography

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on July 17, 2020.
"I still believe Dunkirk has the best cinematography of any Nolan film."

Me too

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:55 am

Me too
Yeah definitely.
Also, Tenet and Dunkirk are his most "shot on location" films since Memento and Following, when he didn't have the budget to build anything in a studio, therefore he really has to work almost for every shot with natural light.
It became an obvious issue when they had to hide in Dunkirk how much the weather changed during the shooting, which is probalby why the first act on the beach doesn't have much colour. The few days they had sun look gorgeous like when Branagh sees the Red cross ship drown, or during the first bombing sequence. They had much better weather for the scenes in the sea and they look wonderful.

Forum Pro
Dunkirk is easily the best looking Nolan movie. Was just unlucky that Wally was up against the goat that year

Sanchez wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:23 am
Dunkirk is easily the best looking Nolan movie. Was just unlucky that Wally was up against the goat that year
Hoyte*

This might look even better than Dunkirk and it seems to have a lot of color variety.
Nolan movies with Wally looked good with some great shots, but they where inconsistent, with Hoyte they look great start to finish. Imo

Forum Pro
MorenoVL wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:25 am
Hoyte*
Of course, my bad

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:55 am

Me too
For me it's:
1. Interstellar
2. Inception
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Dark Knight
5. The Prestige
6. Dunkirk
7. Insomnia
8. Memento
9. Batman Begins
10. Following (obviously :P )

Where places 1-4 all have fantastic cinematography. 5 is very underrated and almost up there with top 4. 6 and 7 are really good. 8 and 9 are ok but are lacking. And 10 is a budget movie.

So far Tenet looks like it might set around number 7 or 8... but who knows, maybe it will jump to 1 once we see the whole movie.