Prologue

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on August 12, 2020
Posts: 100
Joined: December 2019
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 2:07 am
blackColumn wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 2:01 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 1:40 am


When he gets woken up, the first show that you see of him.

Maybe "discharge" isn't the right word.
That was cool. But I disagree about the guitar part. Here too the original prologue served the impact better IMO. In the OST it is glorious but there was no scene they shot that could go with it.

To properly assess this maybe we should wait for home video release..
I just like the sound with it. Maybe it's not actually a guitar, but it sounds like something distorted. Very badassery haha, plus his sideways look as in: "I'm the guy who gets the job done."
Its typical Nolan. BOOOOooooonnnnGGGG only makes sense in IMAX :D

KEM
Posts: 502
Joined: December 2019
The sound when you first see The Protagonist is actually Travis Scott’s vocals

User avatar
Posts: 2564
Joined: December 2016
In the prologue it’s just the guitar.

I prefer the prologue version of the cue - I really missed the part in the clip with the percussion as they enter the hall. And I love the Risset / accelerating rhythm (borrowing from Dunkirk). So good. At the same time, I love that melodic part they added in the film version - So it’s a win both ways.

I actually prefer the editing in the film version. Not the biggest fan of the shot and how we the audience are ahead of the protagonist in that moment. In the film, we experience things together.

Gotta say, I hate how the scene with Priya and TP walking in Mumbai was exited. The dialogue were probably very noisy and they might have cut some lines out but literally the last shot in that scene was done in a way to hide that the audio was from a different take than the shot used and you could tell it was out of sync. It just abruptly cuts closer to TP.

A similar cut bothered me in Dunkirk. Hint: “The bodies come back”.

User avatar
Posts: 228
Joined: November 2019
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 12:29 am
I have different problems with the prologue, mostly in that I don't like how Nolan handles big crowd extras in scenes like this, the TDKR football scene, etc. They scream for a bit but stay seated, and just kind of become onlookers while guns are pointed their way.

Like if you watch before they all get knocked out, they're just sitting there bored. Not trying to flee, not hiding on the floor, not holding each other close, not getting shot, etc.

I don't like that they cut away before the one orchestra member gets hit, mostly because it's an awkward cut. However, it's probably because it didn't look really good when it was filmed lol.

All this being said, I do like the chaos of the scene with so much going on, the score is great, and it has the coolest shot of JDW discharging a clip and catching it while that guitar plucks in.
I'll respectively disagree with your assessment of the crowd in this scene. Love the way its filmed, love the way JDW and asset walk on top of them, and then the seating of the asset as the bullets almost hit him, love the way the camera swoops through the crowd when he is grabbing the bomb. I think the opening scene is excellent, and might be Nolan's 2nd best opening scene (along with Dunkirk).

User avatar
Posts: 1219
Joined: May 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
A Borges man wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 5:33 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 12:29 am
I have different problems with the prologue, mostly in that I don't like how Nolan handles big crowd extras in scenes like this, the TDKR football scene, etc. They scream for a bit but stay seated, and just kind of become onlookers while guns are pointed their way.

Like if you watch before they all get knocked out, they're just sitting there bored. Not trying to flee, not hiding on the floor, not holding each other close, not getting shot, etc.

I don't like that they cut away before the one orchestra member gets hit, mostly because it's an awkward cut. However, it's probably because it didn't look really good when it was filmed lol.

All this being said, I do like the chaos of the scene with so much going on, the score is great, and it has the coolest shot of JDW discharging a clip and catching it while that guitar plucks in.
I'll respectively disagree with your assessment of the crowd in this scene. Love the way its filmed, love the way JDW and asset walk on top of them, and then the seating of the asset as the bullets almost hit him, love the way the camera swoops through the crowd when he is grabbing the bomb. I think the opening scene is excellent, and might be Nolan's 2nd best opening scene (along with Dunkirk).
I think you missed what I said. I love when they're knocked out lol, that was all great. I just said he doesn't handle large crowds well, more so on a conscious level.

Like I said, I love the scene. I just find his way of using large crowds to be suspect from an acted standpoint (except the Loeb funeral scene in TDK... that was handled exceptionally well).

Post Reply