Prologue

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
speedy117 wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 9:58 am
There were different versions of the prologue?
I believe he's referring to the differences between what we saw in December (released with Star Wars), compared to the final cut in the full movie.

There's some minor differences. We get a shot of Ukrainian SWAT guy ambushing Protagonist, but in the full film, Protagonist just suddenly has the rifle to his head.

Then there's the shot of Protagonist's savior. In the full film, there's different music,
and an extra shot of the charm on his backpack.

KEM
hotsauce32 wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 10:09 am
speedy117 wrote:
I believe he's referring to the differences between what we saw in December (released with Star Wars), compared to the final cut in the full movie.

There's some minor differences. We get a shot of Ukrainian SWAT guy ambushing Protagonist, but in the full film, Protagonist just suddenly has the rifle to his head.

Then there's the shot of Protagonist's savior. In the full film, there's different music,
Yes exactly, and I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it again now since you mentioned it, I HATE that they took out the shot of the swat guy ambushing The Protagonist, the final version just cuts to him with the gun to his head and you get no sense of spatial awareness and it’s a very jarring cut, that’s my biggest gripe with the whole movie honestly!!

KEM wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 10:12 am
hotsauce32 wrote:
speedy117 wrote:

Yes exactly, and I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it again now since you mentioned it, I HATE that they took out the shot of the swat guy ambushing The Protagonist, the final version just cuts to him with the gun to his head and you get no sense of spatial awareness and it’s a very jarring cut, that’s my biggest gripe with the whole movie honestly!!
This makes me wonder about the odd time Nolan has an awkward cut in his movie, or sloppy spatial stuff (particularly early on, like in Batman Begins), this situation makes me think that there is stuff on the cutting room floor that could have helped in the past, or was filmed... I dunno. This situation is frustrating, the movie otherwise avoids this type of cut, so its weird that the change doesn't work. Maybe they'd spent too much time tinkering.

KEM
A Borges man wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 7:02 pm
KEM wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 10:12 am
hotsauce32 wrote:

This makes me wonder about the odd time Nolan has an awkward cut in his movie, or sloppy spatial stuff (particularly early on, like in Batman Begins), this situation makes me think that there is stuff on the cutting room floor that could have helped in the past, or was filmed... I dunno. This situation is frustrating, the movie otherwise avoids this type of cut, so its weird that the change doesn't work. Maybe they'd spent too much time tinkering.
I definitely think that’s what happened, the extra time might have made them obsessively change minor details, and that usually never works out for the better. And you’re totally right, that’s the only time in the movie it happens and it just doesn’t work like the original did.

the scene in the prologue was never right edited to be fair. I remember people here asking if it was JDW saying those words "you dont have to kill those people" or the SWAT guy? In the final version there is no doubt who says it because you haven't seen the SWAT guy yet, only heard his gun.

I'm sure this is why he made that cut.

I have other problems with the final version tho. I've watched the prologue so many times I learned the pacing and the soundtrack in and out. And watching and listening to the soundtrack in the final version I didnt like the way they had changed some of it. They had to obviously change the soundtrack and score to fit the added scenes but it sounded like a ruff edit that didnt flow as well.

I have different problems with the prologue, mostly in that I don't like how Nolan handles big crowd extras in scenes like this, the TDKR football scene, etc. They scream for a bit but stay seated, and just kind of become onlookers while guns are pointed their way.

Like if you watch before they all get knocked out, they're just sitting there bored. Not trying to flee, not hiding on the floor, not holding each other close, not getting shot, etc.

I don't like that they cut away before the one orchestra member gets hit, mostly because it's an awkward cut. However, it's probably because it didn't look really good when it was filmed lol.

All this being said, I do like the chaos of the scene with so much going on, the score is great, and it has the coolest shot of JDW discharging a clip and catching it while that guitar plucks in.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 12:29 am

All this being said, I do like the chaos of the scene with so much going on, the score is great, and it has the coolest shot of JDW discharging a clip and catching it while that guitar plucks in.
When does that happen?

blackColumn wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 1:33 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

When does that happen?
When he gets woken up, the first show that you see of him.

Maybe "discharge" isn't the right word.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 1:40 am
blackColumn wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

When does that happen?

That was cool. But I disagree about the guitar part. Here too the original prologue served the impact better IMO. In the OST it is glorious but there was no scene they shot that could go with it.

To properly assess this maybe we should wait for home video release..

blackColumn wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 2:01 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 1:40 am
blackColumn wrote:

When does that happen?

That was cool. But I disagree about the guitar part. Here too the original prologue served the impact better IMO. In the OST it is glorious but there was no scene they shot that could go with it.

To properly assess this maybe we should wait for home video release..
I just like the sound with it. Maybe it's not actually a guitar, but it sounds like something distorted. Very badassery haha, plus his sideways look as in: "I'm the guy who gets the job done."