Prologue

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Apologies if this has been already discussed, but I was rewatching the prologue today and noticed:
The van driver who orders "wake the Americans" is the same guy holding the small (supposedly cyanide) capsule in the trailer. Thus, the prologue is definitely the beginning of the movie. Events should go: opera gets raided, JDW comes back to the van with the wrong guy (end of prologue), driver and the other man get mad, they possibly question JDW and he doesn't give up his mates, so they "kill" him, he wakes up and passed the test.
I remember reading people were wondering if the prologue was really at the beginning or in the middle, or the end. Seems definitely to be the opening scene, or maybe the one right after.

Thoughts?

I would say it’s the beginning of the movie

Flutterby wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 1:47 am
Apologies if this has been already discussed, but I was rewatching the prologue today and noticed:
The van driver who orders "wake the Americans" is the same guy holding the small (supposedly cyanide) capsule in the trailer. Thus, the prologue is definitely the beginning of the movie. Events should go: opera gets raided, JDW comes back to the van with the wrong guy (end of prologue), driver and the other man get mad, they possibly question JDW and he doesn't give up his mates, so they "kill" him, he wakes up and passed the test.
I remember reading people were wondering if the prologue was really at the beginning or in the middle, or the end. Seems definitely to be the opening scene, or maybe the one right after.

Thoughts?
im with you, i bet the final film will just carry on from the van scene into the railway execution scene, it will be cool to see how they handle it, one because it looks really brutal, i mean JDW is really having an agonizing horrible "death"(its crazy that its pg13), but there also, at least in the trailer, some of the strange backwards stuff with the trains, i need answers !

Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 2:37 am
Flutterby wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 1:47 am

Thoughts?
im with you, i bet the final film will just carry on from the van scene into the railway execution scene, it will be cool to see how they handle it, one because it looks really brutal, i mean JDW is really having an agonizing horrible "death"(its crazy that its pg13), but there also, at least in the trailer, some of the strange backwards stuff with the trains, i need answers !
Agreed yup, that would also mean that
the bullet going back to the gun in the opera is the first instance of time reversal we will see in the movie, just before the train one (if it is reversed). Speaking of, if the train scene is all about the van driver "killing" JDW, wouldn't you want a focus on that, and thus why would the trains be going backwards?
Also, I fucking love the way
the van guy points his gun at JDW, right after the prologue ends. There is such violence in simply threatening JDW. Seems like he almost wants to pierce the glass with the gun. I found the shooting in that specific instance extremely well-made. I can't quite recall Nolan doing that in the past, a sort of unspoken, unshown violence.
The hype is getting real for sure :gonf:

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 1:51 am
I never really understood why people are arguing about whether it's the beginning or not. Prologue: a part that comes at the beginning of a play, story, or long poem, often giving information about events that happened before the time when the play, story, or poem begins. (Cambridge online dictionary)

I was just replying to the previous post :D :D

quervo wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 4:40 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
I never really understood why people are arguing about whether it's the beginning or not. Prologue: a part that comes at the beginning of a play, story, or long poem, often giving information about events that happened before the time when the play, story, or poem begins. (Cambridge online dictionary)
Because the Dunkirk prologue has footage throughout the film, including even the third act. Also because the Tenet prologue doesn’t seem like a clean opening like TDK or TDKR.

-Vader

quervo wrote:
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Nolan doesn't strike me as the guy who's going to check the Cambridge dictionary to put out something.

Also, what Vader said.

Vader182 wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 5:03 am
quervo wrote:
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Because the Dunkirk prologue has footage throughout the film, including even the third act. Also because the Tenet prologue doesn’t seem like a clean opening like TDK or TDKR.

-Vader
Yup.

Seems like Tenet 'prologue' would fit somewhere like this scene did in TDKR (sometime earlier I guess..) This scene is also thematically the most similar one..

I see your points, guys, I just say that it makes no sense to call something a prologue if it's not an introduction. The Dunkirk prologue bothers me, I can't recall my memories of it, but let's say that was an exception. The man studied English literature in the universeity, so he can be an organic dictionary, I don't think he would let anyone to call something from him a prologue if it's not the beginning of the movie.

Plus, the trailer suggests that the whole ukrainian storyline isn't part of the big story, I think they won't go back there, its only purpose is to introduce JDW to the secret organization. Just like in the Batmans, they referred to the prologues later in the movies, but they were only little pushes to start the story. TDKR's first six minutes was very clear to be the first scene, but the Joker's bank heist wasn't more obvious than Tenet's opera siege to act as a prologue.

@DUNKIRKIE
Sorry, I used your comment only to join the conversation. :D