Prologue

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Nolanfan93 wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 6:31 pm
speedy117 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:25 pm

I don't think he shot the gun before hand. I guess that bullet hole was always there ready to be recovered.
So the gunshot was just randomly there and not shot before the events of the concert with the purpose of being "reversed" later on?

So the guy who saved him just "catched it" back?
It seems like the person who saved JDW can selectively reverse bullets. I don't think the bullets was fired before the SWAT teams entered the concert hall.

So in short, the swat guy fired a bullet before JDW got discovered amidst the mess. When he saw JDW was in danger, he reversed that particular bullet to save him.
Thanks! So why was the bullet fired in the first place or do you think this will be explained in the film?

Nolanfan93 wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 7:32 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
Nolanfan93 wrote:

So the gunshot was just randomly there and not shot before the events of the concert with the purpose of being "reversed" later on?

It seems like the person who saved JDW can selectively reverse bullets. I don't think the bullets was fired before the SWAT teams entered the concert hall.

So in short, the swat guy fired a bullet before JDW got discovered amidst the mess. When he saw JDW was in danger, he reversed that particular bullet to save him.
Thanks! So why was the bullet fired in the first place or do you think this will be explained in the film?
I think he shot the bullet specifically to save JDW. The guy is probably part of the time inversion technology organization and he wants JDW to survive this siege so he can tested for his loyalty and integrity when he gets interrogated by the bad guys.

The simplest answer is JDW's savior is
JDW himself
Nolan used this motif in interstellar so it might make sense here. Robert Pattinson, i'm pretty sure, is not in the prologue(I guess this scene is earlier in the movie?), so I doubt its him, or a random person, and I doubt Nolan would leave a scene like this unexplained.

Has anyone speculated on the use of gas/gas masks? JDW is wearing a gas mask before he notices the SWAT guys using sleeping gas in the auditorium. I ignored this originally when I saw the prologue, but now after seeing the trailer, I notice that in just about every scene where inversion is used, someone is wearing a gas mask. I just wonder what the relevance is, you can't breathe when you reverse time? Who knows

dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 7:36 pm
Nolanfan93 wrote:
dragon_phoenix wrote:

I think he shot the bullet specifically to save JDW. The guy is probably part of the time inversion technology organization and he wants JDW to survive this siege so he can tested for his loyalty and integrity when he gets interrogated by the bad guys.
Yes, I do understand that. But when was the bullet fired first? Before all of the concert scene happened? How would the SWAT guy know where that person would be standing later on so that he could fire it at that specific place?

I just want to understand how the inversion works.

Don't we know for sure that the SWAT guy in the prologue is
Pattinson?
Extras on set confirmed it right?

Flutterby wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 5:27 am
Don't we know for sure that the SWAT guy in the prologue is
Pattinson?
Extras on set confirmed it right?
Yep, I was just about to reply the same. Extras confirmed it to us that he was indeed there filming this scene...

Nolanfan93 wrote:
dragon_phoenix wrote:
Nolanfan93 wrote:

I think he's wrong about it. I don't think JDW savior fired the bullet before hand only to reverse it, I think he only had to shoot the gun once and the bullet reversed. It seems like there's specific object moving backwards in time (like the gun and bullet), so he would never have to place the bulllet there beforehand.

Nolanfan93 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 5:15 am
dragon_phoenix wrote:
Nolanfan93 wrote:

Yes, I do understand that. But when was the bullet fired first? Before all of the concert scene happened? How would the SWAT guy know where that person would be standing later on so that he could fire it at that specific place?

When the SWATs and terrorists are exchanging shots, he probably shot a few bullets at key positions where the bombs are going to be plant.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Nolanfan93 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 5:15 am
dragon_phoenix wrote:

When the SWATs and terrorists are exchanging shots, he probably shot a few bullets at key positions where the bombs are going to be plant.
I don't think that's how inverted guns work. It wouldn't make sense to place the bullets before hand only to reverse them. There's no switch on the gun that automatically starts making it go in reverse, so every time he pulls the trigger, a bullet will go back into the chamber.

just realized that the bomb ticking sound in the prologue is also palindrome :wtf: