Prologue

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Wow. Saw this in IMAX today and wow. It's the best prologue of any Nolan movie I have ever seen. It's Memento meets Dark Knight in the best way possible. I've never been more tense in a movie theater and Nolan doesn't give a damn if you get what's going on or not. Incredible.

hey guys so from what i saw everything in the prologue is IMAX 70MM none of it is 65MM 5P

gropercity wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 12:21 am
Wow. Saw this in IMAX today and wow. It's the best prologue of any Nolan movie I have ever seen. It's Memento meets Dark Knight in the best way possible. I've never been more tense in a movie theater and Nolan doesn't give a damn if you get what's going on or not. Incredible.
Right now just seeing footage is exciting, but once the movie comes out, but if scenes like the prologue are still confusing it's going to lead to criticism. The regular main criticism that people have for Nolan's films.

It reminds me of the damn scene in "The Dark Knight" where Bruce is trying to get a fingerprint off that bullet casing. The scene looks cool, but makes no sense. TDKR and Interstellar both also, have stuff that looks great but are confusing to follow along.
Last edited by radewart on December 23rd, 2019, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kamelgunner wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 12:36 am
hey guys so from what i saw everything in the prologue is IMAX 70MM none of it is 65MM 5P
Yes, you're right! Saw it in 70mm IMAX yesterday and there was no aspect ratio change

I saw the prologue today at the ROS, here is a random list of stuff of cool stuff:
- The opening shot feels very much like the opening shots of Dark Knight and Dunkirk, it's like the shot/moment has already happened, in medias res.
-the focus pull through the wind shield, showing the rain slowly dropping; I feel like to sell a lot the forwards/backwards stuff we are gonna see a lot of little elemental detail.
- the fact that the guy waits to see which badge appears on the van that pulls up next to them, before giving them the corresponding badge...his hand is even placed on another badge before the van pulls up.
- the terrorist stomping on the Cello is a nice bit of imagery and detail
-I like how shiny their helmets and face coverings are, it reflects the theatre light in nice ways, ads a bit of like compositional patterning.
-the shot of the canisters being dollied down the steps is kind of funny, in that it is a mundane detail during a very stressful scenario.
- "We live in a twilight world"…."and there are no friends at dusk". This is some Nolanly stuff
- jumping down from the booth is nice, also noting how much throwing objects to around happens in theatre, thinking of the terrorist getting the gas mask thrown to him, and when JDW throws the bombs onto the balcony.
-the bullet is a good reveal, and small, we are definitely gonna get build up to crazy time stuff.
- the shot of them running away from the explosion into the van is super immersive.

These be my thoughts. Love it, super excited!

What does JDW mean by saying
Covering their tracks.
and
They’re just the cheap seats.
in that closet?

A Borges man wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 1:25 am
I saw the prologue today at the ROS, here is a random list of stuff of cool stuff:
- The opening shot feels very much like the opening shots of Dark Knight and Dunkirk, it's like the shot/moment has already happened, in medias res.
-the focus pull through the wind shield, showing the rain slowly dropping; I feel like to sell a lot the forwards/backwards stuff we are gonna see a lot of little elemental detail.
- the fact that the guy waits to see which badge appears on the van that pulls up next to them, before giving them the corresponding badge...his hand is even placed on another badge before the van pulls up.
- the terrorist stomping on the Cello is a nice bit of imagery and detail
-I like how shiny their helmets and face coverings are, it reflects the theatre light in nice ways, ads a bit of like compositional patterning.
-the shot of the canisters being dollied down the steps is kind of funny, in that it is a mundane detail during a very stressful scenario.
- "We live in a twilight world"…."and there are no friends at dusk". This is some Nolanly stuff
- jumping down from the booth is nice, also noting how much throwing objects to around happens in theatre, thinking of the terrorist getting the gas mask thrown to him, and when JDW throws the bombs onto the balcony.
-the bullet is a good reveal, and small, we are definitely gonna get build up to crazy time stuff.
- the shot of them running away from the explosion into the van is super immersive.

These be my thoughts. Love it, super excited!
:clap:

radewart wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 12:39 am
gropercity wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 12:21 am
Right now just seeing footage is exciting, but once the movie comes out, but if scenes like the prologue are still confusing it's going to lead to criticism. The regular main criticism that people have for Nolan's films.

It reminds me of the damn scene in "The Dark Knight" where Bruce is trying to get a fingerprint off that bullet casing. The scene looks cool, but makes no sense. TDKR and Interstellar both also, have stuff that looks great but are confusing to follow along.
Pretty certain there will be a setup before this scene.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:04 am
What does JDW mean by saying
Covering their tracks.
and
They’re just the cheap seats.
in that closet?
If they killed the VIP alone in a different way, people and media would be suspicious of them (the government/SWATs) but if they frame it as a bombing/terrorist attack, they wouldn’t be blamed for his death.

Cheap seats as in they don’t care about the audience being killed.

Again, I’m so curious to know what country the SWATs represent (Russia or Ukraine?) and how will they explain the actions the SWATs made.